What did you pass up today? Summer 2012

Tico
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up a Stagg at $95 and a Weller 12 at $27. But this was the first bottle of Weller 12 I've ever seen locally, and I'll probably go back for it. Is this label enjoying wider distribution lately? Because I've now seen it in several California locations that used to stock WSR or Antique, but not the 12.

Passed up a Stagg at $95 and a Weller 12 at $27. But this was the first bottle of Weller 12 I've ever seen locally, and I'll probably go back for it. Is this label enjoying wider distribution lately? Because I've now seen it in several California locations that used to stock WSR or Antique, but not the 12.

Was that bevmo? I'd never seen Weller 12 until a few weeks ago at bevmo for the first time, $27 sounds like the price I saw too. It's weird because they always stocked WSR and OWA but never Welller 12.

Was that bevmo? I'd never seen Weller 12 until a few weeks ago at bevmo for the first time, $27 sounds like the price I saw too. It's weird because they always stocked WSR and OWA but never Welller 12.

Tico, unfortunately the nearest (Santa Barbara) BevMo doesn't carry Weller 12 (or V17, or EC18, or 21st Amendment beers... sigh) just WSR and Antique. I saw the single bottle of the 12 at a local, non-chain store. I'd prefer to shop at the local spot, but having a steady supply of Wellers at BevMo would be great.

It's interesting that months ago there were rumors of Weller 12 disappearing, and now it's not only survived, but apparently reaching new areas. Hopefully it'll stay this way.

Was in Jersey today for lunch with my folks. Stopped at a Joe Canal's and saw a placeholder bottle with the PVW23 velvet cover for $599.99!

WT

“Tradition" ... at $120, a bit too much ... thought about it, but too much.

Was in Jersey today for lunch with my folks. Stopped at a Joe Canal's and saw a placeholder bottle with the PVW23 velvet cover for $599.99!

Jeez. No thanks. Don't they know Julian recently announced it was BT/Stitzel blend?

Jeez. No thanks. Don't they know Julian recently announced it was BT/Stitzel blend?

Restaurant Man, the next bottling of PVW23 will be a blend (the current/last bottling is still Stitzel Weller.)

As to 600 USD...ouch.

Not sure about that. I read a comment Julian made that they had 100% SW PVW23 blended in stainless that they recently bottled which will last a couple more years. The next blend will not be 100% SW and will contain BT distillate among others but when the SW stock runs out and when the new blend is released, is not known. VW releases only a set amount of bourbon per season so they have stocks that they hold back to ensure a steady stream of products.

And yes, the $600 price tag was absurd and the crazy part is that this store wasn't even in a particularly nice neighborhood, I'm not sure who would buy this.

I'm not sure what you read...but I'm just going off of Chuck's post on John's blog (WhiskeyAdvocateBlog/What's In That Bottle Of Van Winkle Anyway?)

"According to Julian, the Pappy 23 for the next several years is already in bottles and it’s all SW. The next time they bottle it, there will be BT in it..."

Since the next bottling wouldn't be until at least this fall...that bottle should contain only SW. I apologize for belaboring the point, but since we have received a pretty good answer regarding this subject maybe we could go a few weeks without mucking it up again! ;)

Having said that though, aren't we saying the same thing? The $600 bottle that is waiting to plunder some childs college savings fund is all SW, correct?

Edited by wripvanwrinkle

WT rye-old version

Weller 12yr-Found not at the store that usually has it. But forgot to ask where they got it from. Fingers crossed for coming to state now.

HW 21yr Rye

ORVW 90 and 107

Lot B

FR 2012 release

JPS 18

B

Vintage 23 Rye $120

Willett 21 Bourbon $170

Rittenhouse 21 and 23 $199

First time seeing any of these on a shelf. Never tried any of them, so I wasn't willing to shell out to figure out if they were worth it. Thoughts?

Vintage 23 Rye $120

Willett 21 Bourbon $170

First time seeing any of these on a shelf. Never tried any of them, so I wasn't willing to shell out to figure out if they were worth it. Thoughts?

I would pass, those prices are just too high. I do not care for the Vintage 23 or Rittenhouse 23, too much wood compared to the younger versions. I have been hunting the Ritt 21, but would not pay $200 for it - that is just too much.

Vintage 23 Rye $120

Willett 21 Bourbon $170

Was the Willett 21 cask strength? K&L just released a Willett 21 cask strength wheater that is supposedly from SW. I know a few here have purchased but I haven't seen any thoughts on the juice itself yet.

Wasn't today, but in the past couple of weeks I have passed up:

Hirsch 16

Willett 28

Willett 20

Willett 19

Willett 18

PHC 2010 Wheated

Vintage Rye 23

Vintage Bourbon 23

Vintage Bourbon 17

Thomas H Handy

Jefferson Presidential Select 18

Rebel Yell

All overpriced except the Rebel Yell, on which I still passed.

Edited by LostBottle

I saw three bottles of EC 18 today priced at $48. My heart told me to buy one more as I had purchased an EC 18 at another store recently for $46. But my head told me not to buy it. I still haven't tried the EC18 that I already own and I didn't want to have two bottles of something I may not like.

I saw three bottles of EC 18 today priced at $48. My heart told me to buy one more as I had purchased an EC 18 at another store recently for $46. But my head told me not to buy it. I still haven't tried the EC18 that I already own and I didn't want to have two bottles of something I may not like.

you are not alone in thinking this. I passed a couple of these over the weekend and every time I see one, I think I should pick it up. I happen to like it quite a bit, and the with the knowledge that it will be gone for awhile, makes it harder to pass each time. And it won't e any cheaper in the future.

Maybe later in the summer lull I'll pick a couple up. Been a couple of other priority purchases lately.

B

Well, you can compare them with the three I just saw at $60 and left on the shelf. They are the only EC18 bottles I've seen at my usual bourbon haunts recently, but I have lots of other expenses (and expensive bottles I want) right now.

Now is the time. Open the bottle and give it a try. There isn't going to be any more on the shelves, so you should make up your mind soon!

Willett 28yo Bourbon - $570 :bigeyes:

Willett 18yo Bourbon - $165

In Chicago, saw all 4 Col EH Taylors, PHC Cognac, Pappy 23, Handy, BTSOP, BTEC, and 375 of High West 16, purchased none. Karen will be proud!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!