What did you pass up today? Summer 2012

Tico
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

passed up a Hirsh and a 2011 4RLE; prices were just out of my budget at the moment.

Left 2 Handy Ryes on the shelf in favor of a 4 Roses 2009 Mariage. $69 a bottle. They've actually been there for awhile, so I'm not too broken up about it.

PVW 23 $269 i look at it few times a week tho

I picked up a few bottles today but more importantly I passed on one.

Elijah Craig 20yo, I looked at it a few times while in the store and the person working there said that there are only 35 bottles of it in MI.

I knew it existed but I don't recall anyone commenting on the taste.

It was priced at $199.99 plus 6% sales tax.

When I got home I looked up the state minimum shelf price, it's $129.97 plus 6%.

Glad I passed on it.

If anyone out there has any reviews let me know, I might go back and try to get it at the minimum.

(a later edit add-on)

I just stumbled across this thread. I'm getting curious, I'd like to try it.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?16319-For-the-oak-fans-Elijah-Craig-20/page6

Edited by OscarV

Left 2 Handy Ryes on the shelf in favor of a 4 Roses 2009 Mariage. $69 a bottle. They've actually been there for awhile, so I'm not too broken up about it.

I would have done the exact same thing. I like THH, but 09 Mariage is fantastic.

Passed on VR23 for $68- I have one VB17 (wheater), VR21 & VR23 - should I have a back-up of this? High-end juice doesn't appear in my time zone very often and I have yet to try any of these (still developing my palate on bottom/mid shelf).

Edited by MauiSon

Passed on VR23 for $68 - I have one VB17 (wheater), VR21 & VR23 - should I have a back-up of this? High-end juice doesn't appear in my time zone very often and I have yet to try any of these (still developing my palate on bottom/mid shelf).

If you like the juice, that's a good price.

Well, I won't manage a pour for many moons - these are 'special event' bottles on both the buy and consumption sides. I haven't even busted my rye cherry (got a bottle of OO waitin' in the wings, tho).

I passed up quite a bit last night, phc wheated, the full btac line, and a few more I can't remember this morning. I just can't pull the trigger, but the sazerac 18 was the hardest to pass up.

I may have to change my mind.

Passed up ER17 and a Yamazaki 18 yr (yeah I know it's not bourbon). The ER17 was $87 and the scotch was $145. That scotch is getting crazy.

THH 2011,PVW 20 and PVW 23 well stocked on all of these,but you always have to do a double take when walking by bottles of this caliber.

Not something I see around here, well, ever, but passed on 3 handles of OWA 107 w 7 yr age statement. Nothing old.

No benefit here beyond a cooler label, yes?

Passed on JPS 18 at BevMo with their $100 price tag. Unfortunately they wouldn't price match the $70 tag from Hi Times.

Knob Creek Rye

Andersons Conn Valley 2005 Cab 18 liter bottle for $1975; may go back for it though if i can find enough friends to drink it in one sitting.

Ardbeg Double Barrel $7500

Crazy price, but the case is pretty cool!

Edited by LostBottle

Ritt 23, HW 21yr, BMH 16, PHC Golden, FRLESmB 2010/11...lots of stuff to consider but none of these are must gets for me. Good to see there is stuff still out in the wild though as I haven't looked in a liquor store for almost 4 months! ;)

I was in Europe for the past week in Paris and Rome. I passed on a green label Blantons in hopes of a greater score later, but that turned out to be the only half interesting bottle of whiskey I'd find the whole trip. Came home with plenty of wine and a bottle of Calvados instead.

Ritt 27. I have one bottle, haven't opened it yet. Wish I would have, as the price was right but too high to have another bottle of something I may not like.

Passed on a Handy Rye at $80. I then picked up the last bottle of Weller Antique in the store, but another shopper noticed me lingering over the bourbons and asked if I could recommend a bottle. He said he liked Maker's and wanted to try something new, so I just handed him the Weller and left empty-handed. It was the first time anyone asked me for a suggestion. Plus, I was really craving Weller 12, which has disappeared from all my local stores.

Passed on a Handy Rye at $80. I then picked up the last bottle of Weller Antique in the store, but another shopper noticed me lingering over the bourbons and asked if I could recommend a bottle. He said he liked Maker's and wanted to try something new, so I just handed him the Weller and left empty-handed. It was the first time anyone asked me for a suggestion. Plus, I was really craving Weller 12, which has disappeared from all my local stores.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!