What did you pass up today? Summer 2012

Tico
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up Stetson, Jesse James and Berkshire. All new or fairly new entries around here and proof (to me) of the decline of the decline of the Bourbon market... At least in NJ.

Did you mean Ritt 21/23/25? I have never heard of Ritt 27.

25, thanks for the catch.

Evan Williams 7 year 375 ml for $7. A bit much, considering that's about the price of a 750 of the NAS stuff.

Left work at lunchtime for the day so I made some rounds. Passed on a few Vintage 17s, ORVW 10/90 (but got one for a friend), and Handy at $90 (and a couple Ardbeg Day bottles at $99).

edit - and a WT Tradition for $120. Should I think twice about that one?

Passed on an EC18 (priced fairly at $50, but saving my next $50 for something else), as well as a WT Tradition @ $110.

Moved my oldest stepdaughter to college today and stopped at a couple of liquor stores on the way home. The only thing I did see of interest was Baby Saz now that might not seem like a big deal but this was in Iowa and 60 miles from home. I didn't think you could get Sazerac Jr in Iowa. Normally I have to go to Omaha to get it and then it's hit and miss. I passed on it because my last bottle was so grassy/hay that I could hardly drink it. It had to let it breathe for 6 months before it was good. Just don't have the room for that.

Been passing up the Four Roses Single Barrel 2012 LE, one at $86 and another place at $120. Glad I have one from TPS. Not sure if Socal is getting the shaft from distributors on this or it's just some retailers being opportunistic. The place with it for $86 isn't known for markups.

Found a pair of WT Kentucky Spirit Pewter Tops for $52 each that I left on the shelf for no good reason other than I had dropped a fair amount of cash at another liquor store earlier in the evening. I think I'll head back on payday and snag 'em both, being a big Wild Turkey fan. Been a while since I've bought any KS, as I usually grab the Rare Breed or WT101 when I'm in the mood for some Turkey.

I didn't think you could get Sazerac Jr in Iowa. Normally I have to go to Omaha to get it and then it's hit and miss. I passed on it because my last bottle was so grassy/hay that I could hardly drink it. It had to let it breathe for 6 months before it was good. Just don't have the room for that.

Despite the raves that continue to roll in for baby Saz, I have had the same experience with my current bottle. When I first opened it, it had a sappy, gummy profile that was thick with woody grass. It has opened up really nicely, but it has definitely taken months to get as pleasant as it's now drinking.

Left behind someWTAS, Vintage 17,21 bourbon and some Vintage 23 Rye & HW 21 Rye. I also passed on some BMH 16yr as well as some FRLESmB from 2010/2011.

Left some Gold, green, and straight from the Barrel Blantons on the shelf. All from 2003-2005.

Left an EWSB 23 for 150 euros.

Finally, some various OGD bottlings from 2000.

All in Barcelona.

Saw a bottle of EC 18 year yesterday for $43. I have never had it, but saw on here that it is discontinued, so I might go grab it next payday. It's in a little hole in the wall store that caters mostly to the $10 and under crowd....pretty sure it will be there next week.....

:rolleyes:Lag 12 CS 2011 release for $79,mixed reviews on the 11' passed on a 10' ealier in the year still kicking myself as it was very well recieved:any imput on the 2011 guys?

Passed on a WT 81 Rye. Had it been a gift set packaged with toothpaste and Pepto Bismol, I might have pulled the trigger.

I had to pass on a bunch of intriguing Japan-only releases a few weeks back since my wife and I couldn't tote a bunch of bottles around Thailand/Cambodia/Indonesia. The only bottles not available in the US that I found in the Tokyo airport tonight (as I pass back through) were WT 8 & 12 and Harper 15. The latter was left on the shelf.

High West 16 yr. rye. Have heard good things but at 99 a bottle, I'll stick to the Vintage 21 yr. rye.

High West 16 yr. rye. Have heard good things but at 99 a bottle, I'll stick to the Vintage 21 yr. rye.

Both are no longer, I'd be stocking up on the V21 rye if I could find it.

Saw a bottle of EC 18 year yesterday for $43. I have never had it, but saw on here that it is discontinued, so I might go grab it next payday. It's in a little hole in the wall store that caters mostly to the $10 and under crowd....pretty sure it will be there next week.....

That's a decent price. Give it a whirl. EC18 was my "gateway" into the world of bourbonmania, but then I enjoy heavily aged whiskey more than most.

Mike, it might be worth grabbing a bottle, especially since it is no longer being released. I too love Vintage 21, but I also love the High West 16. It is very unique and extremley tasty stuff - a real gem. I would put it in my top 10 favorite American whiskeys of the last decade.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!