Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

JR1968
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Copying my response from a similar thread over at BourbonEnthusiast:

--Jim Beam Black was a huge disappointment, as was Basil Haydn's.

--You guys are going to kill me for this but- I can't stand the Weller line. It's just downright gross to me. Then again, I've never had a wheater I like except Cabin Still!

--Echo Spring was pretty boring, but it was only about $8 for the bottle.

--ALL Four Roses products- too much acid flavor and not enough leather and grain flavor.

--Eagle Rare 10- Not bad, but it seems to have a really weird flavor profile.

--Jack Daniel's- who the hell drinks this stuff?!?! Tastes like bananananas (Spelling??).

--Every Scotch or Irish whiskey I've ever had- The barley and peat make them taste like stomach acid to me. I can't even swallow the stuff without a gag reflex. Seriously.

--AND THE #1 WORST EVER- WILD TURKEY 81 RYE. LORD HAVE MERCY ON US. BRING BACK THE 101 RYE!!

Do you like anything?

:grin:

I have it on good autority that his entire collection has been transformed into Special Reserve and Yellow Label.

Nice.

Do you like anything?:grin:

If he hates most wheaters - and all Scotches because "the barley" contributes to a "stomach acid" taste - then maybe he likes ryes and high rye bourbons?

Just speculating. Don't let me put words in your mouth, ethang.

*But no, four roses is all high rye. Well f--- me, man; I've got nothing.

Edited by CoMobourbon

Hudson Baby Bourbon...stung twice as hard because I was at a special tasting event for the whole Hudson line and I had been looking forward to it SO MUCH.

A couple of years ago it was the Fighting Cock that I had a lot of trouble killing the bottle it just seemed to keep on pouring. That I think is the worst bottle I had yet, Still may have to try it again though I am a glutton for punishment

BTEC Oats is hands down the worst bourbon I've ever had.

I don't like the Weller line. Come to think of it, the only BT products I really like are Baby Saz and ETL.

JD is disappoints me too, but is not labelled as bourbon.

I haven't really had a BOURBON I didn't like. Sure, some were better than others, but I didn't find any to be downright offensive.

Now there was a blended whiskey called Corby's-- I think it was a Barton product-- that re-defined the word "rot-gut" for me. Like Jason Vorhees, even drowning it (in cola, in this particular case) couldn't kill the nastiness.

It's weird how the same distilleries can make products that are flat-out awesome (Very Old Barton and Ridgemont Reserve come to mind), can also make something that grotesque.

As people have recently speculated regarding Heaven Hill wheaters and the low quality of the OF line, there may be a correlation between the bad stuff and the good stuff from the same distillery.

Nice.

If he hates most wheaters - and all Scotches because "the barley" contributes to a "stomach acid" taste - then maybe he likes ryes and high rye bourbons?

Just speculating. Don't let me put words in your mouth, ethang.

*But no, four roses is all high rye. Well f--- me, man; I've got nothing.

You would be correct sir. I am a rye drinker primarily, and my bourbons need to have rye in them. Don't get me wrong- Weller, Van Winkle, and Fitz are all fine crafted bourbons, but they are not to my personal liking. I like the grain flavor of the Four Roses Single Barrel, but the other acidic flavors over power it for me. It's a shame because I think if they made their high rye mashbill with other yeasts in their arsenal, they could come up with something fantastic. To give you an idea of my palate- VW rye, basically all 100pf and above WT products, OGD, KC rye, EC 12 and 18, Old Heaven Hill BIB, 1792, and, strangely- Mellow Corn.

They (4R) do make the high rye masbill with all of the yeasts, you'll just need to find a retailer, online or brick and mortar, that has them as private selections. The Party Souce comes to mind obv, but I don't know what the legality of shipping to PA is.

A couple of years ago it was the Fighting Cock that I had a lot of trouble killing the bottle it just seemed to keep on pouring. That I think is the worst bottle I had yet, Still may have to try it again though I am a glutton for punishment

They (4R) do make the high rye masbill with all of the yeasts, you'll just need to find a retailer, online or brick and mortar, that has them as private selections. The Party Souce comes to mind obv, but I don't know what the legality of shipping to PA is.
?

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can't recall any bourbon I've had that was worse than the current Benchmark. I try to find the good in just about anything I drink, but after giving it more than enough consideration I can say without doubt that it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I've tried a lot of bourbons in my couple years in this hobby, but I have to say that the worst bourbon I have tried was an Old Charter "The Classic 90" distilled in Frankfort. One pour from that bottle and it has sat untouched since. Too much earth/dirt flavor with young wood taste.

Nah, you can get them all with a little effort. Either through the 1B LEs or Private Selections at various stores.

I've tried a lot of bourbons in my couple years in this hobby, but I have to say that the worst bourbon I have tried was an Old Charter "The Classic 90" distilled in Frankfort. One pour from that bottle and it has sat untouched since. Too much earth/dirt flavor with young wood taste.

I love Old charter 12 Classic 90

For me the worst was the bottle of Old Grand Dad 86 proof that sits in my bar. It tasted like hand washing soap with alcohol. I nearly threw up. I tried mixing it in Coke and nearly spit that out.

Although...nearly a year later the bottle has lost that soapy flavor and is tolerable now. Go fig.

I think it was the bottom shelf Johnny Drum that answers the thread's question for me.

Couldn't agree more. Regardless of the value everyone talks about with Johnny Drum I just can't get over the tannic taste to it. By far my least favorite bourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.