Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

JR1968
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just dumped my bottle of Old Charter 8 80pf. That stuff was more flat and nasty than Eagle Rare- which I didn't think was possible! I am proud to say that my whiskey cabinet is finally Four Roses AND Buffalo Trace free- that is, unless you consider Van Winkle Rye or 1792 a Buffalo Trace product....

So now it's back to happy days again and lots of Heaven Hill, Beam, Barton, MGP/LDI and best of all- Wild Turkey!

I have bottle of Colonel Lee from a few years ago that is totally vile heinous stuff. Just thinking about it turns my stomach.

Otherwise, I try to buy stuff that has generally proven drinkable. If not, I have a great BBQ marinade recipe...

1/3 bourbon

1/3 soy sauce

1/4 olive oil with

fresh ground ginger, garlics and cayenne pepper

Soak meats for a day, fishes for 4 hrs

Guaranteed to improve and dispose of the most mediocre of whiskey

Cheers

RW

Just dumped my bottle of Old Charter 8 80pf.

So now it's back to happy days again and lots of Heaven Hill, Beam, Barton, MGP/LDI and best of all- Wild Turkey!

We can agree there. Old Charter 8 y/o is terrible. Benchmark-esque.

Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

town branch gets my vote...the only reason I haven't dumped it is that the bottle looks so nice.

I think the "worst" bourbon I've ever had was Ten High; however this speaks more to the goodness of bourbon in general than the badness of Ten High. It was just young and low-proof, but it was a perfectly good whiskey and honestly a good value. I haven't gone out of my way to try all that many of the lowest-shelf pours, but in my opinion, care and time was taken to produce anything that is called straight bourbon, and I count none of them among the worst kinds of rotgut.

Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Great, that old dusty of Old Charter 8 year from 1995 is looking to be rather nasty before it's ever opened.

Old Charter from that era was a very different beast. I don't care for it, but the ones I've had were butterscotch bombs.

I saw a few posts back about the Hudson Baby Bourbon. I'll put in a second "Yuck" on that one too. For $25 for a 750ML, it would be ok, but for $45 for a 375ML, they're nuts. You can really taste the rushed aging and unbalance between too young bourbon and too harsh a tannin flavor. I think if they were to switch to a 53 gallon barrel and put it away for 4 to 6 years, they'd really be on to something. Hopefully that's in the future!

We can agree there. Old Charter 8 y/o is terrible. Benchmark-esque.

Never was daring enough to try Benchmark. Now I'm glad I haven't. The Old Charter 8 was the weirdest thing ever. It had almost no flavor. It was like stale brown water- which at 8yo surprised me.

I will admit, I do like Elmer T. Lee on rare occasions. I think that's my only BT product I can honestly say I really enjoy. The extra rye in that mashbill certainly lends much more character to that whiskey. Are there any long-aged bourbons from BT using their high-rye mashbill? I know Ancient Age tops out at 10yo, but are there any that are aged even longer?

Never was daring enough to try Benchmark. Now I'm glad I haven't. The Old Charter 8 was the weirdest thing ever. It had almost no flavor. It was like stale brown water- which at 8yo surprised me.

I will admit, I do like Elmer T. Lee on rare occasions. I think that's my only BT product I can honestly say I really enjoy. The extra rye in that mashbill certainly lends much more character to that whiskey. Are there any long-aged bourbons from BT using their high-rye mashbill? I know Ancient Age tops out at 10yo, but are there any that are aged even longer?

It's hard to say. The high-end offerings from that mashbill are all NAS. If I had to guess I would say most of the Blanton's are older than that, but it's only a guess.

It's hard to say. The high-end offerings from that mashbill are all NAS. If I had to guess I would say most of the Blanton's are older than that, but it's only a guess.

I think I heard/read somewhere that Blanton's was younger. It is aged in the metal clad warehouse and the barrels are exposed to more weather extremes. I believe I heard that while NAS, ETL is normally bottled around 8yrs old +/- a year. And yes, it is a shame that there isn't a higher proof/longer aged BT higher rye(I always forget the mashbills #s) bottling.

Strangely enough I like Benchmark OK..as I said in earlier post though I dumped OC 8 down the drain. I really liked OC 12 Classic 90, but I did not realize that it was a semi-dusty. The OC 8 had a sourness to it and almost no other flavors. Is OC 8 a very-low rye mashbill?

Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

:slappin:I have literally laughed my ass off the past dozen times reading this. I nominate this as the post of the year.

The worst I have ever tasted was Ri(1) rye whiskey. Didn't like it the first time I opened it or when I tried it 8 months later. Actually made my lips go numb. My take, there's a party in my mouth and everyone is throwing up.

Strangely enough I like Benchmark OK..as I said in earlier post though I dumped OC 8 down the drain. I really liked OC 12 Classic 90, but I did not realize that it was a semi-dusty. The OC 8 had a sourness to it and almost no other flavors. Is OC 8 a very-low rye mashbill?

Yes. But it's the same mashbill for Benchmark.

:slappin:I have literally laughed my ass off the past dozen times reading this. I nominate this as the post of the year.

The worst I have ever tasted was Ri(1) rye whiskey. Didn't like it the first time I opened it or when I tried it 8 months later. Actually made my lips go numb. My take, there's a party in my mouth and everyone is throwing up.

Ancient Age 3 year, regular Old Crow, and Benchmark are the bourbons I will never buy, no matter how cheap. I'm sure there are others, but less common ones.

Im factoring in price here, but I'm going to go ahead and say Jeffersons Ocean Aged. The amount I had to pay for a 1 oz sample was bad enough, but I would've been ill had I bought a bottle of it.

Im factoring in price here, but I'm going to go ahead and say Jeffersons Ocean Aged. The amount I had to pay for a 1 oz sample was bad enough, but I would've been ill had I bought a bottle of it.

I would have to say that one takes the cake for the dumbest premise for a special release too.

I would have to say that one takes the cake for the dumbest premise for a special release too.

Wellllll... Springbank and the other Campbeltown scotches are often described as "salt-air influenced"... And any idea that works "where the expensive stuff comes from" is instantly a good idea for bourbon! What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Wellllll... Springbank and the other Campbeltown scotches are often described as "salt-air influenced"... And any idea that works "where the expensive stuff comes from" is instantly a good idea for bourbon! What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

HA! What indeed! And while we're at it, I'll go ahead and call BS on sea spray having anything to do with how a Scotch tastes either.

Well, I can tell you that the bourbon is salty and dank as all get out. Coulda been drunken sailors pissing in the barrels though, for all I know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.