What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

PHC '12 and OF Birthday '12. Prices were ok I just don't know if either bottle is what I want. Reviews on the PHC '12 are all over the place and $90 is more than I want to gamble right now.

I love both bottles. Not sure about PHC reviews being "all over the place", though. From what I've seen, it ranges from "great", to "very good". I know some would like a more full finish, but I can't think of a "negative" review...The OFBB '12 has been one of my favorite recent bourbons that I have tried, BTW.

Y'all are doing a good job on encouraging me to buy the PHC '12 and the OFBB '12. I appreciate it.

Y'all are doing a good job on encouraging me to buy the PHC '12 and the OFBB '12. I appreciate it.

Oh, we can help you spend your money!!! Lord knows y'all helped me spend mine! :D

:toast:

saw a ritt 21 and a 25 on the shelf. i think i am going to stare at them for a month before i take the plunge!

saw a ritt 21 and a 25 on the shelf. i think i am going to stare at them for a month before i take the plunge!

Passed on a lot of goodies today, but they've been on the shelf for a while now. Ritt 25, THH '12, PHC '12, OFBB '12, and FR LE SmB 2011 to name a few. I'll probably go back for the PHC after pay day.

Thomas H. Handy and Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Edited by squire

Thanks for the info. I'm never sure if it's Old Forester or Old Fitzgerald. I've heard good things about both.

Here's the secret decoder ring:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8

EDIT: interesting, THH (Thomas H. Handy) isn't on the abbreviation post

I don't see CHET in there either but I guess that's Colonel Taylor. I have seen that around town a few times (not the Tornado edition.) Is it worth picking up compared to maybe a BTAC?

I don't see CHET in there either but I guess that's Colonel Taylor. I have seen that around town a few times (not the Tornado edition.) Is it worth picking up compared to maybe a BTAC?

it's not even close to the BTAC in quality

I've tried the CEHT Tornado, Barrel Proof and the SmB and I'd take any of the BTAC over any of the CEHT. The Tornado is my favorite but I think they're all over priced.

it's not even close to the BTAC in quality
I like the Tornado but its not as good as BTAC - haven't had any of the other CEHT's though.

There are people here that would disagree. You know the old song "one man's ceiling is another man's floor". Gotta find out that "worth" yourself :grin:.

Passed up a bunch of the Mitchers 10 year stuff, some WhistlePig, 09 10 and 12 Birthday Bourbon and a good bit of EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Rye and Single Barrel. I did get excited, on the bottom shelf, there was a EH Taylor Old Sour Mash tube, glad I opened it though, it had Tornado Survivor in it, I have plenty of that at home. I definitely would have left with the Sour Mash one though if it had of been in there. Glad I opened it. I also stopped at another location and left 2 bottles of the 10 year Bulleit Bourbon on the shelf. 44 bucks was a little expensive for what I have read about it.

There are people here that would disagree. You know the old song "one man's ceiling is another man's floor". Gotta find out that "worth" yourself :grin:.

I find myself reaching for the CEHT Sour Mash, Tornado and original Single Barrel much more than any of my BTAC's

Passed on several rather dusty bottles (not old I don't think, just very dusty) of OGD 114, including 2 in a box, for $22.99. Thought about picking one up given the praise shown here for it but it seemed a bit pricey based on my memory of the discussion that it was such a bargain. Of course $22.99 is not bad for a 114 proof whiskey and I see it now on TPS for $21.99 so I guess that is in the ballpark.

Based on the dust I expect I can always get one later!

Passed on several rather dusty bottles (not old I don't think, just very dusty) of OGD 114, including 2 in a box, for $22.99. Thought about picking one up given the praise shown here for it but it seemed a bit pricey based on my memory of the discussion that it was such a bargain. Of course $22.99 is not bad for a 114 proof whiskey and I see it now on TPS for $21.99 so I guess that is in the ballpark.

I don't think it moves off the shelf too fast. Around here $22 is right on. The regular OGD is $10.50.

I find myself reaching for the CEHT Sour Mash, Tornado and original Single Barrel much more than any of my BTAC's

I might give it a shot. I thought it was priced at $60-$70, but I think it's closer to $35-$40.

True until false.

Every day, I think, 'Should I get another $20 EC12 or another $34 Blanton's Original? I could drink these til the cows come home.' Then I think, 'If that were true, why haven't I gone back and opened a single second bottle, yet?' Hmm.

[purely poetic post]

Edited by MauiSon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.