What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Seeing these reported prices ($150+ for 17 year+ bourbon) puts them in direct competition with a lot of older single cask Scotch, and for me, that's an easy choice.

Edit: To add something substantive, I kept putting off an online order for an extra bottle of PHC 6th for weeks, and when I finally went to order for real...it was gone.

Edited by Yeti

$150 for Vintage 17 is just silly. Sure, supply has dwindled to basically nothing around here, but it doesn't have the recognition of Pappy to sell at that price. Heck, the PHC 2012 seems to be languishing on shelves around here at $79.99. I picked up a few V17 wheaters from a Total Wine in NJ for $64 just a couple of months ago (they're all gone now).

Left about 5 HW 21 year old ryes on the shelf at an outstanding price of $99 a bottle. Just don't have the funds for that today, heading to Vegas in 20 days.

Put a HW 16 year in my cart, but further analysis revealed that it had sat on it's side too long and the fill level was down and the cork was saturated to the top. Bummed out, wanted to try it, but not worth the gamble.

I doubt there is any Bourbon on the market that is so much better than Parker 12 as to be worth twice the price. Of course I'm speaking of genuine quality here, not scarcity or market driven perceptions. I refuse to pay an inflated price for anything just because it might be hard to get.

Edited by squire

sadly, that V17 was not a craigslist price, i dont shop for booze there, dont want to support flippers. It was at a small store in Manhattan that actually had a decent selection considering the area. They were telling me that it was "the same bourbon as pappy" from the old Stizler-Weller Distillery... In any event, they dont have a website, but they are not alone in completely overpricing their stuff. I found another store in brooklyn that is selling it at $120. http://www.liquorsgalore.com/vintage-bourbon-750ml-17-year-old.html

2 x CEHT Barrel Strength

10 x CEHT Rye BIB

1 x CEHT Single Barrel

2 x High West Rendezvous Rye

2 x High West Campfire

2 x High West Double Rye

2 x High West American Prairie Reserve

2 x High West OMG Pure Rye

2 x CEHT Barrel Strength

10 x CEHT Rye BIB

1 x CEHT Single Barrel

2 x High West Campfire

2 x High West Double Rye

I completely got mixed up about what thread I was in and went :bigeyes: for a second.

Yeah, I should have split them out, and moved the ryes. Sorry about that.

Oh, no. I meant I thought this was the "what did you PURCHASE" thread. I love a good high dollar whiskey haul, but I was thinking "holy $#!@ that's $650 of CEHT Rye alone!"

Oh, no. I meant I thought this was the "what did you PURCHASE" thread. I love a good high dollar whiskey haul, but I was thinking "holy $#!@ that's $650 of CEHT Rye alone!"

Now I'm laughing, cause I've never tasted a Rye, so buying 10 bottles (@$70 here) of EXPENSIVE rye would be a huge risk for me.

Until I can prevail upon friends (or friendly bartenders) to taste a few of the higher end expressions, I'm sticking to the mid-shelf (<$45/750) and lower stuff. The JPS18 (and to a lesser extent the Lot B) were disappointments. I have high hopes for the 4R "rarities", but will have to travel (or go online) to obtain those.

2 x CEHT Barrel Strength

10 x CEHT Rye BIB

1 x CEHT Single Barrel

2 x High West Campfire

2 x High West Double Rye

Why did you pass up? There's not much value in the thread if you just list a bunch of bottles that are pretty easy to find anywhere you go.

Granted, 90% of the time people are passing on something because the price is too high (or they are too broke), but the "why" is still the reason I read the thread.

Trey

Trey, the why (for this particular listing) is partly explained in post #187. That being said, I read (and post) in this thread from a different standpoint - the majority of the stuff I see mentioned here (and that I post about) is NOT widely available where I am. (In fact, I drool over what you guys apparently have on a daily basis in NOLA).

To give you an example, I spent yesterday shopping. I went in roughly 15 stores. Twelve of those I've never been in, the other 3 I had. Only 2 had the CEHT products. Both had the rye, but one had the Barrel Strength, and the other had the Single Barrel. Only two stores of the 30 or so I've been in over the last 6 months have had any High West products. I can only buy Weller products in one store, due to state-wide contractual arrangements with the distributor for Weller.

If the stuff is easy to find anywhere that YOU go, then you are a lucky man.

In fact, PM me if you can get your hands on the Tornado Survivor CEHT.

1 X PVW23 - $299

1 X THH - $79

1 X CEHT tornado - $80

Relatively reasonable prices for this area in this day and age, but over MSRP for sure. I had to pass, got bottles of each bunkered already.

2 x THHandy $66, $75- I like it a lot, but just a little too spendy for what it is

Bulleit 10 year - Regular expression is just okay IMO, and at $45, I think I could do a lot better

Dickel Rye - I'll wait to hear what others have to say before I take the plunge, Rye's aren't my favorite anyway

PHC12 $75 - good price so I picked up 1, but left 2 other behind

Willet 4 year Rye $32 - I was tempted, but have a 5 and 6 year at home so I figured I didn't need to spend more on these.

Handy

PVW 20 and 23

All were 3 to 5 x retail.

Willet (5 yr.?) at $39.00

and 3 different kinds of High West at the $40-$50 range.

Some AB Small Batch and Single Barrel.

The cheaper stuff was and the overpriced place I PM'd you. Even if the PVW is WAY overpriced I don't want to help lurkers or flippers.

I don't know if this really counts but I noticed that Dickel prices seemed higher than I remember, at least at one store I frequent. Shelf prices of $26.99 for #12, $24.99 for #8, and the rye was $21.99, although they're having a three-day sale through tomorrow. What got my attention initially was the #8, which I can't recall seeing here locally before. The second thing that struck me was that even with a sale price of $21.99 on the #8, it's more than I paid for the #12 elsewhere a few months ago. I may need to shop around.

Dickel pricing confounds me. The 12 has been $22.99 here for awhile but I paid $15.50 just a few months ago in Kentucky at Rite-Aid. Quite a percentage pricing difference just on location. The 8, at Binny's, is just a dollar cheaper than the 12 at $21.99. Cascade Hollow is the cheapie on pricing here at $14.99. A Dickel over $20 is a pass for me.

The Dickel 12 here was 21.99 when I bought it the day after Christmas. Haven't checked lately, as I'm not buying it again.

I passed on a PVW 23yr today. They were asking $500, so it was very easy to say no! The girl said they have had it since early November and several people have asked about it. She said so far, everybody has said that's way too high a price and walked out. Good for them!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.