What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Newish stuff seen today (and passed on)...

JD Unaged Rye

Jacobs Ghost

Old Medley 12

Dickel Rye

Bulleit 10

Artfully Aged Basil Hayden

The Jacobs Ghost is not too bad a lite sipper. Someone I won't front them off brought a bottle they had been previewed to the gazebo.

1x 2003 EWSB (first one I've seen, and there was only one, so apparently it's selling here)

1x Son of Bourye ($49)

and not bourbon, but

3x High West 21 YR Rocky Mountain Rye ($130)

Haven't seen many 750's of the 21, mostly 375's.

(Based on price, should've guessed it was a fifth though)

Edited by ChainWhip

no, but pretty sure high west releases a decent amount of 375ml bottles of certain products

Passed up on a BTAC Thomas H Handy tonight. It is the last bottle of BTAC they have left, as I bought the other two (WLW & GTS). I'm on the fence about it. My thinking is if I am spending that kind of $ I want it to have more age on it. It's lasted this long on the shelf, I could always go back for it I suppose.

~SW

I don't know if this really counts but I noticed that Dickel prices seemed higher than I remember, at least at one store I frequent. Shelf prices of $26.99 for #12, $24.99 for #8, and the rye was $21.99, although they're having a three-day sale through tomorrow. What got my attention initially was the #8, which I can't recall seeing here locally before. The second thing that struck me was that even with a sale price of $21.99 on the #8, it's more than I paid for the #12 elsewhere a few months ago. I may need to shop around.

Friend called me and was at a Local NJ store...Passed up Pappy 12yr $60, 15yr $110 and 20yr $160. What's up with these prices?

The store owner said there was a Price Increase? Are they Blowing Smoke or is this 2012/2013 Prices?

A truck load of standard dusties in my area 86 proof old Forester, 86 proof old grand dad, Bonded Dants, and 80 proof Old Taylor's. Also passed on a couple handles of faux stamped bonded OGD $50.00 was a bit ridiculous

Friend called me and was at a Local NJ store...Passed up Pappy 12yr $60, 15yr $110 and 20yr $160. What's up with these prices?

The store owner said there was a Price Increase? Are they Blowing Smoke or is this 2012/2013 Prices?

Edited by smknjoe

Saw 5 bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel Limited '09, they were VERY spendy at $100/ea, but wondered what other people thought of it, is it good? I really seem to prefer the SmB Ltd over the SB, but would be intrigued to hear if anyone's had this and enjoyed it or not.

Oh, and 3 bottles of Handdy....for $130. LOL.

Saw 5 bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel Limited '09, they were VERY spendy at $100/ea, but wondered what other people thought of it, is it good? I really seem to prefer the SmB Ltd over the SB, but would be intrigued to hear if anyone's had this and enjoyed it or not.

I had to pass up a 2009 I found somewhere in Wisconsin about a year and a half ago. I had just been on a big bourbon buying spree and there was no more room in the cabinet or the basement. The wife reminded me of that ... reasonably, and so I had to let it go. It was somewhere in the $60s.

I'd gladly grab a couple bottles of it now at $100. I tried it at the Twisted Spoke w/ AaronWF and if I remember correctly, it wasn't mind blowing but it was, as with most 4R LE releases, pretty damn good. So to me the $100 cost would be worth it because (1) it's nearly impossible to find and (2) I am a 4R LE completist. I want to try -- if only once -- all of their limited releases to get a sense of how they've evolved over time ... to taste the best ones and even the outliers (I don't think they're ever bad). Just because I'd pay what is clearly an inflated price doesn't mean you should.

It seems popular, lots of people here sing its praises. I've never had it but I'd pull the trigger at $100.

a stagg at $130. sitting sideways in a wine rack next to a handy at $100 and a PWV23 at $500...

Left 5 WT101 Ryes on the shelf for 23 a piece. While its a solid pour I find myself drawn to Rittenhouse instead.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.