What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

True until false.

Every day, I think, 'Should I get another $20 EC12 or another $34 Blanton's Original? I could drink these til the cows come home.' Then I think, 'If that were true, why haven't I gone back and opened a single second bottle, yet?' Hmm.

[purely poetic post]

True indeed. Although if it isn't there next time I expect I can find something already at home to drown my sorrows in!

I passed up a "small batch collection" I think it has bakers, bookers, basil Hayden and knob creek in some sort of wooden display cabinet...oddly enough it is the 2nd one I have seen in a ghetto liquor store

Passed on some Rittenhouse 25, 129 proof THH, PHC gold label, and PHC Cognac. All at the same store.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I passed up a "small batch collection" I think it has bakers, bookers, basil Hayden and knob creek in some sort of wooden display cabinet...oddly enough it is the 2nd one I have seen in a ghetto liquor store

Is this the wooden box with Bakers, Bookers, and Basil Hayden with the saying "the proof is in the bourbon" on it?

Is this the wooden box with Bakers, Bookers, and Basil Hayden with the saying "the proof is in the bourbon" on it?

It also had knob creek in it... It was in a wooden display that was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't look at it up close

Stopped by Binny's and saw the EWSB 2003 for the first time. I was looking for something else though so I passed today, but I'm sure I'll grab some eventually. It was Binnys so I passed on a lot of other good stuff too, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Passed up good ol' FR1B at $28 a bottle simply because of the amount of single malt scotch I was buying at the time. Heretical, I know!:blush:

Passed up good ol' FR1B at $28 a bottle simply because of the amount of single malt scotch I was buying at the time. Heretical, I know!:blush:

Hank, your whiskirexia nervosa is taking on a mutant form, that there is no known cure for!! :D

Hank, your whiskirexia nervosa is taking on a mutant form, that there is no known cure for!! :D

I passed up EVERYTHING at the local BevMo, today. Wife called to see if I'd like to meet for lunch. Yes, of course. But really, I'd planned on just walking the aisles to see if anything new had come in, perhaps the new release EWSB.

Was offered and passed on the Bulleit 10 today. I think I will try to find a place to try this one before committing to buying it. Might even compare it to the standard FR SB or small batch and see if it is worth the price difference first based on the reviews to date.

Was offered and passed on the Bulleit 10 today. I think I will try to find a place to try this one before committing to buying it. Might even compare it to the standard FR SB or small batch and see if it is worth the price difference first based on the reviews to date.

Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09. It's my understanding that the SW juice is Batch #13 and below. I have a bottle of Batch #8 and, truth be told, I have not be very impressed by it. Also, I paid a total of $77.18 for that bottle, so paying a 50% premium from the price I already paid for something I'm not a big fan of doesn't make much sense.

Kind of twisted logic, but understandable considering the circumstances. :slappin:

I just picked up a bottle of it an hour ago, and after lemon-pepper, The Boss, and Ranchilada Wings, 6 different beers, a Wild Turkey, Maker's, and 2 cigars...I can tell you...that...it's....OK!!!!!!! :crazy:

Are you back on your health kick again, Joe? Sounds like an eventful evening!:lol:

It's amazing that after thanksgiving none of my places had anything and now in the past two days I've turned down THH, Willet 21, FR LE SmB, and Parkers 6th 68.95%. My wallet is going to be quite thin once I make some decisions. Also saw some EWSB 2003 and 111 Whistlepig for the first time.

Considered but passed on a 1L bottle of the Dickel Rye today. Seemed overly spendy at $42 (although this is typically a more expensive store). Might look for a 750ml in one of the bigger and usually less expensive locations.

Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09.

WTH kind of sales tax rate you got there??? I thought I paid a huge rate @ 9.75%...but, $22 & change?...#%**^!!! Holy Cow!!! Not sure I could afford to drink there...or have to drink cheap vodka.

Edited by Old Lamplighter

WTH kind of sales tax rate you got there??? I thought I paid a huge rate @ 9.75%...but, $22 & change?...#%**^!!! Holy Cow!!! Not sure I could afford to drink there...or have to drink cheap vodka.

20.5% plus a $3.77 per liter tax that's pro-rated ($2.83 per 750ml). This is the result of deregulating the state out of the business through a boondoggle law that Costco and Kroger, among others, promoted to voters last year. The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.

Passed on a ton of Jeffers Creek 6 yr 80 proof.. The light yellow color was very uninspiring and a bunch if willett 7 yr bourbon at $47.77 before tax I didn't see the value in it

The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.

I think the taxes have always been that high (not that it sucks any less) - the price increases are really coming from the distributors right now.

Edited by ChainWhip

passed on the Dickel Rye and Bulleit 10yr. Got to crack a bottle of the Bulleit for sampling purposes with the manager, another reason to make friends with your whiskey monger, decent, but nothing special to get excited over. Pretty one dimensional to me.

Also passed on the Costco Kirkland, and anything else they had. while the prices are good, the standard selection does nothing for me. But the do have some wines that strike my interest.

B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.