What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on an ETL Private Selection, price was solid, but I went with a Willet Family 4 year bourbon instead.

Passed on a 22yr Willet Rye at... $440! :bigeyes: and from a guy who doesn't really price gouge but maybe usually tacks on a couple of points over retail.

If I understood him right it's supposedly the first Willet that made it to California that he had stashed away in the back and decided to put on the shelf now.

Passed on some CEHT Small Batch today. I want to try it but not sure I want to spend $40 on it.

I really hated it. I didn't even finish the glass that I had, which never happens. I won't be buying a bottle.

I really hated it. I didn't even finish the glass that I had, which never happens. I won't be buying a bottle.

I have a bottle of this. It has gotten better after being open a while, but I'm still not too crazy about it. I won't be buying another

Yesterday passed on '12 FR's LE SB for $100, and WTAS for $130. I loves me some of the Four Roses, but a hundo is just too much. The American Spirit is a total unknown, so I passed.

Yesterday passed on '12 FR's LE SB for $100, and WTAS for $130. I loves me some of the Four Roses, but a hundo is just too much. The American Spirit is a total unknown, so I passed.

I would have passed on both of those for those prices.

I saw the new EH Taylor Small Batch BIB for 39.99, but have had trouble finding any reviews. Has anyone here had it?

I'd like to here more about that one as well, the price is getting down to my curiosity range.

I've got a bottle and I probably won't be getting another one. I've had a couple pours and its got some interesting spices to it, but to me its dry and chalky. I found some sweeter notes with a little water. It's still a new bottle though so I'm hoping that it will open up some.

I saw the new EH Taylor Small Batch BIB for 39.99, but have had trouble finding any reviews. Has anyone here had it?

It's not the most complex whiskey I've tried, but it does have a lot going on and tastes very good. If you've had the Tornado or Barrel Proof, you'll know roughly what to expect from the profile. I think the price is about right and picked up a second bottle.

It hasn't gotten much love around here, but I really like it. The color is amazing. It has to be the darkest 7 year old I've seen. The nose isn't special, but the palette is oily and very much Buffalo Trace, but on a good night I get some woody, dark cherry, Stagg-like notes, along with a touch of the Old Taylor butterscotch.

It's been almost a year since I've had the Tornado, so I can't compare the two. I had refused to pay $75 for any of the previous editions, but they got me at this price. I'll definitely be picking up more of these.

-Steve

It hasn't gotten much love around here, but I really like it. The color is amazing. It has to be the darkest 7 year old I've seen. The nose isn't special, but the palette is oily and very much Buffalo Trace, but on a good night I get some woody, dark cherry, Stagg-like notes, along with a touch of the Old Taylor butterscotch.

It's been almost a year since I've had the Tornado, so I can't compare the two. I had refused to pay $75 for any of the previous editions, but they got me at this price. I'll definitely be picking up more of these.

-Steve

Thats really good to hear. I have also been considering picking one up and I think you just convinced me. I would love to find something with more than a touch of the butterscotch though. Guess I could just buy some of the candy and put it in there myself. LOL!

Seeing more of the Old Medley 12yo 86.8 proof bourbon. Don't know much about it and at $50+ I haven't been inclined to buy. I presume it is another NDP?

OFBB 2005

Sam Houston, Very Small Batch, 10 year (the one with 1836 at the bottom of the label), forgot to note proof

Sam Houston, Very Small Batch, NAS, 85.6 proof

4R SmB from about 2007 (gift set with an engraved glass and a muddle stick)

I passed up this year's Birthday Bourbon at more than one store. It was priced around $55, which is at least $10 more than I'm used to paying for OFBB. I generally buy a bottle every year, first of all because its profile is always different, second, because it's easily found, and finally, because OFBB seems like a bargain compared to other annual releases like BTAC. But at over $50, it's a tougher sell, which is a shame.

Hell, I'll probably go back and buy it, anyway. I really appreciate that there's no Van Winkle/BTAC silliness surrounding OFBB, and I've certainly enjoyed some previous versions. Of course, there've been some stinkers, too...

Yeah.

Newish stuff seen today (and passed on)...

JD Unaged Rye

Jacobs Ghost

Old Medley 12

Dickel Rye

Bulleit 10

Artfully Aged Basil Hayden

Passed up a Wasmunds bourbon Barrel Kit, if it was rye I might have been tempted..

Don't be tempted even by the rye. I bought the rye kit in 2011. It made awful whiskey. It came out with a very greenish brown tint. I am pretty sure the barrel was only toasted. I made two attempts, one with the rye and one with a MBR block dog. Both end products were worse than the white dogs.

Now, I will qualify I did make a barrel aged manhattan in the barrel. It had been about 10 months since I last aged anything in it so it needed a little work to get it to hold liquid again, but the end result was quite nice. I will do it again, maybe this week. I used an OF 1849 for the bourbon in the manhattan.

Mike

I passed on some of the old medley stuff for 55 bucks, some of the Jack Daniels clear liquid, and 6 bottles of the Jeffersons 18 (batch 16 I believe) for $89. They should just put up a this is pappy sign, I'm sure it would fly off the shelves. They've had it for awhile.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.