Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, gusto16 said:

I've only tasted batch 7 at 128 proof, which I really enjoy - not sure if it's been deemed the very good or phenomenal category.

Just saw ECBP for the first time in the wild ever today and picked up batch 9 at 135.6 proof & batch 12 at 136 proof.

Excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice--I have a batch 9 open right now, and it is terrific.  And the batch 12 is apparently outstanding, although I have not opened any of mine yet (I've been able to buy a few of the 136 proof).  Enjoy.

5 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Looks like the bottle is changing for 2017. Wonder if there's an ASOB? 

IMG_1428.PNG

Side Label.

image.jpg

18 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Side Label.

image.jpg

Ah ha! ASOS? Thanks Joe.

Did you find a bottle or just the label?

23 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Ah ha! ASOS? Thanks Joe.

Did you find a bottle or just the label?

Heehee.  I ripped this off from Tucker's post in Next to Fall thread.  :D

54 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Now the $64K question... Where are they going to price the next batch????

:wacko:

I believe MSRP is still $49.99, so I wouldn't be surprised if it went up soon. 

18 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I believe MSRP is still $49.99, so I wouldn't be surprised if it went up soon. 

Based on market, I'm thinking minimally +$20 is reasonable and justifiable from their position.  

46 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Based on market, I'm thinking minimally +$20 is reasonable and justifiable from their position.  

I'm sure there will be an increase. Each new batch of a limited pretty much invites a small increase. But a bottle re-design is probably a pretty solid indicator of a pending price hike.

But a bottle re-design is probably a pretty solid indicator of a pending price hike.

You've got to pay for those marketing dollars somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, BigRich said:

You've got to pay for those marketing dollars somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they've already got me! They could put it in a plastic bottle and I'd buy it... Evidently I'm paying for them to market it to someone else!! And it looks like they kept the WORST thing about the old bottle... that damned cork!

4 hours ago, JTaylor said:

But they've already got me! They could put it in a plastic bottle and I'd buy it... Evidently I'm paying for them to market it to someone else!! And it looks like they kept the WORST thing about the old bottle... that damned cork!

It is significantly small though. So presumably the shrinkage issue will not be as pronounced. 

4 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

It is significantly small though. So presumably the shrinkage issue will not be as pronounced. 

You are talking corks right?

Just now, Old Dusty said:

You are talking corks right?

Yes. And it they do happen to shrink, they get bigger if you soak them. 

20 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Yes. And it they do happen to shrink, they get bigger if you soak them. 

I got it. Your quote reminded me of a Seinfeld episode. 

On 1/9/2017 at 5:42 AM, smokinjoe said:

I agree - a 12yo, cask strength, incredibly tasty bourbon for $50 is a great value in this market and a $20 bump wouldn't be outrageous. Unfortunately in my area prices are already $10-$30 over MSRP. If they raised MSRP by $20, and stores kept their same markup over MSRP, I would have to be more selective about where and when I buy it. FWIW, it seems to sell quickly when priced in the $60-$70 range, but sits for a while at $80+ (though the snazzy new packaging and more marketing could fix that).

To me it's worth almost as much as I've ever paid for a single malt, at just over $100. Although I have paid more for special bourbons and ryes. But I balk at anything over $65 with it, mostly because I can generally find it at < $55 locally. Although admittedly back when it wasn't so easy to come by I paid $110 (with shipping) for a Batch 7 online purchase.

But then I've never had a whisk(e)y that I though significantly outclassed ECBP. For bottles that I've owned, I put it in the same class as WPBH 2014 ($210), L,S&B 16yo ($135), & Ardbeg Uigeadail ($85). 

For my money, no other bourbon comes close to it.

I don't know why these guys spend money marketing new looks for products that they can't keep on the shelf in the first place, but they seem to know what they're doing.

The pressure does seem to be coming off of ECBP though (or at least it DID seem that way before the bottle re-design). Last year I saw it on the shelf a few times, which was a first. Of course, it was always $65-69 plus tax, which ain't the $39 it used to sell for when I never saw one.

23 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I don't know why these guys spend money marketing new looks for products that they can't keep on the shelf in the first place, but they seem to know what they're doing.

The pressure does seem to be coming off of ECBP though (or at least it DID seem that way before the bottle re-design). Last year I saw it on the shelf a few times, which was a first. Of course, it was always $65-69 plus tax, which ain't the $39 it used to sell for when I never saw one.

Good point, and good to hear from you again! Will you be joining us in Bardstown in April?

4 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Good point, and good to hear from you again! Will you be joining us in Bardstown in April?

I'll be tryin' to get there! Could be working, but jury is out as yet.

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Isn't it just the same bottle as the new ECNAS? No special marketing or expense. 

Yes, you're right upon thinking about it. Corollary benefit from the expense of the regular NAS EC campaign.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.