What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Starting the rest of the week off from work with pours of V17 and GTS. Feelin' good.

Had the day off and enjoyed a few pours. First was FRsmb LE '11, then a local selection wheated 8yo Willet I hadn't gotten around to yet, and a veteran bottle of V17 I've been nursing a little.

That FR is such a great pour. The Willet left me wanting. The V17 was as good as ever.

Went out for drinks with a lady and we shared pours of BT, Blantons, and Michter's 1B rye. Ended with some Bulleitt rye at her place. She sure is my kind of lady. The Michters rye was the standout(tasted like a vatting of Ritt BiB and Baby Saz) and got me pretty excited to taste the Michter's 10 year old rye I picked up a couple days ago.

Tried my best to help the Spurs along with some OGD114 and PHC12 batch 1, but it wasn't quite enough. Might have to bring out some bigger guns on Thursday.

Tried my best to help the Spurs along with some OGD114 and PHC12 batch 1, but it wasn't quite enough. Might have to bring out some bigger guns on Thursday.

Last night some SB Blend, and couple of pours of a dusty WSR seemed to work for the US Men's Soccer team. Perhaps that combo will work for the Spurs too?

Last night some SB Blend, and couple of pours of a dusty WSR seemed to work for the US Men's Soccer team. Perhaps that combo will work for the Spurs too?

Joined you watching the USMNT w a pour of "the Blend".

Healthy pour of WTRRSmBSB (anything that a name that long needs a longer pour :lol:)

i'm zeroing in on bottles that need to be emptied, so tonight it's elmer t lee.

OWA sitting outside my hotel on a fabulous evening in Ahiya.

Now trying half FRSmB and half Yellow Label, very good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Had an EW 23 and Jefferson's Ocean in a blind tasting last night. Neither were really that tasty. I was shocked when they were revealed. Never would have guessed.

It's a wild night of hockey at the (new) Boston Garden. 5-5 Bruins and Hawks at the end of regulation.

There's too much going on in the game to pay much attention to fancy bourbon, so I'm repeating the WTRRSmBSB on ice. 110 proof holds up to the ice, the ice tames the alcohol heat that I noticed when I tried it neat, and the WT flavor carries on through.

Revisiting a couple of willett 9 year old barrel samples. They didn't make the cut. A few PMs regarding many of the 9 year willett selections being wheated makes me curious.

No mention of mashbills from willett. One sample struck me as wheated the first time I tried it. But trying it side by side with some of the better wheaters (weller 12 and pvw20) makes me think it is not wheated.

Completed a trade with a fellow SB/BX'r and sipping on this tonight ('84):

9088585647_4bc89987a1_c.jpg

The original cork had shrunk so it was barely hanging on - had to substitute a cork from a newer bottle of OGD114 I had recently emptied. The nose on this is just... just... WOW!

Edited by ChainWhip

Tonight, started off with a pour of OGD BiB that I nursed thru roughly the second half of the Bruins game (dammit). Moved on to KC for Game of Thrones, and on my second pour of Bulleit while pondering what to watch now that the wife has passed out.

I find that the Bulleit shines best after having a pour of a better bourbon first. Enjoying the floral/fruity, almost-but-not-quite 4R SmB flavor better than usual. I think the OGD and KC loosened me up enough to not harp on the thinness and ethanol bite that Bulleit has.

Edited by JPBoston

how long HAS 114 OGD been around?

Hmm, don't really know. The Old Grand Dad brand was started by the Hayden family in 1840 and named in honor of their grandfather, Basil Hayden. It's been in continuous production since (as a 'medicinal' brand during Prohibition) and was sold in 1899 to the Wathen family who went on to found National Distillers. I cannot say when I first noticed the 114 on the shelves, was it a response to Rare Breed or was it the other way round?

Good Morning Gents!....I am at a McDonalds on I-64 a few miles east of L'Ville headed for Frankfort.....broadcasting live with my 2008 HP laptop...but anyway last night at the Marriott bar where we are staying they had at least 75 bourbons, all 3 Pappy's, 23, 20 & 15, I had a couple of 15yo's (neat of course),....surprised to see any Pappy.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!