What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A healthy pour of W12, getting primed to go meet my family for Fathers Day lunch.

80+ degrees out. Went over to a friend's house to visit while he tended to a pork shoulder and a chicken on the bbq. I brought John Bowman and made Manhattan variants with Cherry Gran Marnier. Quite refreshing.

I've been working on some Dant BIB DSP-2/16 and some Old Forester BIB DSP-414. The Dant is good if not a little different, but the OF is really, really good.

Just awoke from a good Father's Day nap in the hammock, and am relishing a 4R1B over a heap of crushed ice. :yum: A nap in a hammock, and Four Roses Single Barrel are both wonderful things.

For today, popped open a Willet 21, Beltramo's special barrel, $199. Took a quick sip only before heading out for lunch. It's a nice pour but will do a side by side with say JPS21.

qupara8y.jpg

e6y4a2uz.jpg

Something out of the norm for me, having a "squire"..:cool:

Something out of the norm for me, having a "squire"..:cool:

I, too, have been inspired. I've popped open my new bottle of OGD114.

Me thinks it's been way too long.

For today, popped open a Willet 21, Beltramo's special barrel, $199. Took a quick sip only before heading out for lunch. It's a nice pour but will do a side by side with say JPS21.

Did the side by side with JPS21 and this Willet 21 by Beltramo's is definitely better : stronger and slightly nicer nose, more balance, and smoother finish.

Yesterday I had a little WLW 134.8, today I'm having a nice pour of PHC 124.2. Life's good!

The only thing better was the long Father's Day conversation with my daughter.

On my way to see Delbert McClinton @ BB Kings, I had my first taste of 4RSB, in a word outstanding. I will have to explore more of the 4R lineup.

Edited by RT Fan

Trying to finish a long open bottle of MM. Grabbed it from my folks house.

Bottle date says 1986. Price tagged reads $12.99.

While I wasn't anywhere close to drink at that point, it seems about right i guess.

B

Looking forward to sipping copious amounts of Knob Creek and maybe OGD BIB (or 114 if I can't find the Bonded) during the Bruins game tonight.

Need to survive the gym with my wife and putting kids to bed first... thank the lord for DVRs. :)

BOSTON STRONG!!

Well, my open shelf was down to a measly seven bottles. :skep: I figured I better do something about that 'cause I was starting to get a little antsy. :rolleyes: After having a pretty darn good day at work for a Monday, I decided to open a Pappy 15, and treat myself to a nice pour. Happy Monday! :grin:

FWIW, I do have a few more in line and ready to go. :cool:

Nice pour or 1792 RR. It isn't displacing any of my favorites, but I think has pulled itself from the brink of just being tossed.

Nice pour or 1792 RR. It isn't displacing any of my favorites, but I think has pulled itself from the brink of just being tossed.

I haven't had many Barton products, 1792 is the most readily available around me - I did get some VOB BiB through my father-in-law and have been really enjoying it, so was thinking of picking up the 1792. I'm curious as to what you think of the 1792 (when you say it was about to be "tossed", I assume it was less than your favorite), and have you ever had VOB BiB?

Back home drinking some Knob Creek Single Barrel after a long weekend in Washington, DC for a wedding.

Helped a friend organize his crazy bunker and tasted:

SW WSR7

ER101 from NOLA

GTS 08

AAA10 from 1994

OGD BiB

Delicious

I haven't had many Barton products, 1792 is the most readily available around me - I did get some VOB BiB through my father-in-law and have been really enjoying it, so was thinking of picking up the 1792. I'm curious as to what you think of the 1792 (when you say it was about to be "tossed", I assume it was less than your favorite), and have you ever had VOB BiB?

I have had VOB BIB, and am in the minority on that one (many folks like that, but I wasn't crazy about it). I bought the 1792 after trying it at the Barton distillery tour and liking it, but then it got pushed to the back as I continued on my bourbon journey. When running out of room in my cabinet, I literally put a couple of bottles on "notice" (my thought being that if I hadn't reached for it in a year or more, why have it take up space). I do like 1792 better than VOB BIB, although it is probably twice the price. It is a high-rye mashbill, and that comes through. I don't find it very complex, and I don't get as much vanilla/caramel as I do with other bourbons. But I do like rye, and this does fit that bill.

Some folks refuse to throw whiskey away, but the way I figure is if I'm not drinking it (and I don't have friends who appreciate it), I'll either toss it or bring it to an event with a "free to good home" tag :)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!