What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bruins and Blackhawks on ice, and I'm inspired for bourbon on ice, with whiskies I know will be able to stand up to the, ah, abuse: Russell's Reserve Single Barrel 110 vs. Old Grand Dad 114.

So far the RR is the favorite, but the OGD114 is no slouch either.

Two Bruins goals in the 2nd period. Me likey!!

Edited by Kalessin

The OGD Bonded really made the Bruins game sing... Thanks for keeping this expression in the front of my mind, Squire. Quality bourbon to be sure.

ADDED:

Forgot to mention, I finally replaced my Glencairn -- My visiting mother managed to break my first one within a week of me getting it, about 9 months ago. :)

Edited by JPBoston

After work I saluted the board with a SB blend at barrel house flat, FRSBLE13, and ORVW 107.

After a long (and dry) hiatus, got to join the chat room with a few nice pours. A glass of dry fly wheat kicked off the night to get my palate used to whiskey again. Followed it up with some larceny and then killed off a bottle of whistlepig. A pour of some alligator and a pizza finished off the night.

A day with Heaven Hill. Started before dinner with EWB. Then after dinner with a big pour of Fighting Cock.

Later a nite cap of Evan Williams BIB. Might have been the best......

Now for today....

Last night I had some ETL to check the palate, then did some small back and forth pours between a John Bowman and the new Abe Bowman. They're clearly related, but Abe is definitely more robust and complex on the nose and the palate. Enjoying it with every pour.

Went out for drinks with a lady and we shared pours of BT, Blantons, and Michter's 1B rye. Ended with some Bulleitt rye at her place. She sure is my kind of lady. The Michters rye was the standout(tasted like a vatting of Ritt BiB and Baby Saz) and got me pretty excited to taste the Michter's 10 year old rye I picked up a couple days ago.

A short pour of EC18. When I opened this bottle a couple months ago, it was just way too woody for me. But the wood is really in check now and truly a great pour. Now if the bottles from the barrel, that I left behind, are still there, i'll have to grab them.

Did a blind tasting of the three FRSB's I have (OBSO, OBSK, OBSV), with the O/K diluted to 100 proof.

OBSO (TPS 10 yr, 3 months, 54.9% ABV) O=Robust Fruitiness

OBSK (Liquor Barn 10 yr, 9 months, 60.8% ABV) K=Slight Spice Character

OBSV (2012 Retail FRSB) V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

Impressed myself in being able to identify which was which (although I guess I had a 30% chance even at a random guess :lol:). I found that at 100 proof I preferred the OBSO by a slim margin. It absolutely was the most "fruity" of the bunch, and had the most distinct flavor, which I liked. The OBSV came in a close second, and was very nicely balanced - only slightly less fruity and about the same amount of pepper spice. The OBSK came in third (I don't think of it as "last", but more like a bronze medal winner!), having less fruit and definitely more pepper on the finish (also seemed to be more thin in terms of depth of flavor - I wouldn't call it one-dimensional, but less depth than the other two).

Most importantly - had a HELLUVA lot of fun for a bit over an hour!

post-7689-14489819271038_thumb.jpg

Tasting some wheaters tonight, including a Pappy 15, just to remember what all the fuss is about. Great stuff, but not worth the premium and the hunt required these days.

Had the day off and enjoyed a few pours. First was FRsmb LE '11, then a local selection wheated 8yo Willet I hadn't gotten around to yet, and a veteran bottle of V17 I've been nursing a little.

That FR is such a great pour. The Willet left me wanting. The V17 was as good as ever.

My first taste of OGD BIB with lunch today. Thanks Squire. I'm going to really enjoy that stuff!

My first taste of OGD BIB with lunch today. Thanks Squire. I'm going to really enjoy that stuff!

Well, I would imagine. Especially if you are drinking it with lunch! ;)

Well, just to remain balanced, I had a nice big pour of WSR around 3:30. Just trying to keep up the equilibrium between the rye recipes and the wheaters!:grin:

Old Forester Signature - enjoyed it but had a slightly bitter finish that did not improve with a bit of water ... still for the price a very nice bourbon.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!