What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ran into an Elijah Craig 18 today, not sure why I grabbed it other than the fact I may never see it again and it was a Bourbon I wanted to try again. First couple experiences weren't spectacular. This bottle shows it was barreled 5-22-90' so I'd guess it was bottled late '08 early '09. Wish I could have some luck like today with an EC Barrel Proof . . .

Took an hour drive across the border into KY and got a nice little haul.

HH 6yr BIB x4

OGD BIB

JW Dant BIB

Dickel Rye

4R1B LE 13

Fell to temptation and got the Michter's SB 10 year and Willet 10 bourbon BP, then a PVW Lot b.

Lot B is so much more expensive than I last buy in 09 but just 3 cent less than my max. I can't believe it is now $89.97. This is outrageous and the most I will pay for it. I love PVW, but I rather have two ECBP for this LotB. Lucky I have some in my bunker because this price is not making sense.

Fell to temptation and got the Michter's SB 10 year and Willet 10 bourbon BP, then a PVW Lot b.

Lot B is so much more expensive than I last buy in 09 but just 3 cent less than my max. I can't believe it is now $89.97. This is outrageous and the most I will pay for it. I love PVW, but I rather have two ECBP for this LotB. Lucky I have some in my bunker because this price is not making sense.

That's a pretty significant markup by the retailer.

I think Lot B is swell and all, but I'd probably pass at anything over $60. But we each have our weaknesses

I think Lot B is swell and all, but I'd probably pass at anything over $60. But we each have our weaknesses

Truly my mind was thinking the same but my heart did otherwise.

Agreed. I got a Lot B last year for just $46, so . . . . over $60, I'm out!

Picked up the FR SB LE 2013 as well at Binnys, along with a Weller 12 (which is getting harder to find)

Nothing close to Tuesday and Wednesday's buys but I did get a bottle of Evan Williams White Label Bottled In Bond today.

I do not like when people add cost to the equation when analyzing a bourbon but I must confess, at $14.95 a bottle this EW WL BIB is at the top of the list.

picked up my 4R 2013 SB

also got my Sat Eve Post ad from the 50's back, but we don't like the black mat, so it's going back

guess I know what I'll be pouring for chat tonight :cool:

also have a couple of other interesting 4R on the way....one from the UK and another that should arrive tomorrow

IMG_20130530_151236_670-1_zps0fbc29d2.jpg

IMG_20130530_150921_319-1_zps1713446e.jpg

bigtoys I like your style (that first pic was real cool)...you gave me some ideas for future posts.

Was on a bourbon buying hiatus...but I came across a bottle of Old Ezra 101 for $14. Seven years 101 proof for $14?? It came home to join the other 4 bottle of it in the bunker.

Grabbed a bottle of OC10 today. Figured I'd try one before it disappears.

Picked up two EC18 SB's barreled on 1/29/92, 2 FR1B's, 2 WSR SB's and one ETL SB...

Elijah Craig 12yr single barrel (McScrooge hand selected) barrel #4211263.

Also picked up a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit single barrel.

So where on Earth did you get those two?

As far as I am concerned the 1-29-92's are the best EC 18's ever, they have a great blackberry vibe in them.

I really like them too Oscar...there is a store that I drive by every now and then that did a private barrel of it...fantastic juice...I grab a couple every time I'm there. :cool:

As far as I am concerned the 1-29-92's are the best EC 18's ever, they have a great blackberry vibe in them.
I really like them too Oscar...there is a store that I drive by every now and then that did a private barrel of it...fantastic juice...I grab a couple every time I'm there. :cool:

Oscar, have you tried Binny's 5/15/92? IMO, these beat out the 1/29/92s, but 1992 was a great year for distillation!

Purchased a bottle of VWFR Rye today from a fellow SBer here. That makes the family complete now.

Used a store credit to buy a Bulleit 10, because I'm such a Four Roses fanboy and I like the packaging. The text on the sides of the box are easily worth the premium. And I haven't even gotten to the sheet inside the box yet.

I have been to KY several times but this is my first visit to buy bourbon. We are visiting relatives. I had never met old granddad but apparently he is 114!

Anyway, first, props to MyOldKyDram, who suggested Red Dot in Frankfort. I really appreciated the tip. It is an awesome store. The selection is at least 5 times what I can find at my normal liquor store in Brownsburg, IN. The prices were comparable on brands that I can get back home so I thought that the prices were reasonable.

I ended up purchasing

VOBBIB

OWA 107

Larceny

AAA10

OGD 114

That was my initial purchase. I plan to visit another local store or two while in town. If I don't find anything that I like, then I know where to go before I leave town.

I am not sure what I am looking for but wouldn't mind finding some ECBP or maybe EC18. I am probably looking for a bottle in the $40-50 range and then a few cheaper bottles. They have HHBIB Gold and HH 6-year BIB, although I am not certain if they would be redundant.

I was very happy with the Larceny find. They had it in Indiana earlier in the year but I couldn't find any bottles with the rebate form. I ended up with two $10 rebate forms on my bottle. Yes, by accident. I noticed that later. So, that bottle will end up only being $15. Interestingly, I noticed some Ancient Age bottles with $3 rebate forms but not the AAA10.

Is ECBP pretty difficult to find? I realize EC18 is.

Probably the only place you'll find ECBP in Kentucky is at Heaven Hill in Bardstown. It's not the same as the retail bottle - they have bottlings of various proofs available. It is more expensive than the retail bottle.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!