What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Doom came to Chicago last week. I was able to nab a bottle before stock seemed to all but disappear. I haven't opened it. It's such a big bottle, I think I need people around to share it with.

I haven't seen a bottle but since it is part of the backstage series, I presume that it is a 22 oz. bottle.

Will

I've been working my way through a lot of the singles that I purchased in Michigan a month ago. Short's and Greenbush make a lot of great beers; very excited for the latter to expand distribution to Chicagoland soon. Also loving on the Nugget Nectar and Perpetual IPA from Troeg's that I just traded for.

Four Roses OESO last night.

Cracking open a bottle of Bowman 17 yr 147.5 and will compare to a 2011 Stagg tonight to accompany the Pit Beef on the Big Green Egg.

I came across some bottles of Doom on Wednesday when I went looking for (and found) some ECBP. I cracked it open last night after smoking some brisket and pulled pork. I found my bottle of Doom to be a big disappointment.

Allow me to first say that I love Founder's All Day IPA so I was very much looking for to drinking it. What I drank was a very slightly altered Founder's All Day IPA. It was so little changed from a regular Founder's All Day IPA that if you presented it to me without telling me what it was, I would have guessed All Day IPA and not thought twice about it. And the faint bourbon taste I could pick up didn't mesh well with the lemon and grassy flavor of the IPA.

I would like to add that I first drank this immediately after eating my brisket and pulled pork. My meal could very well have affected my taste. However, I did finish off the bottle about an hour later and I did not notice a difference. My take on this is that not all beer should be aged in bourbon barrels. I'll be sticking to KBS and New Holland's Dragon Milk.

I would like to hear what other people think about this beer. It was the first time I was disappointed with a Founders product. It was OK but it didn't meet my high expectations. I'm in no hurry to drink my other bottle and I'll probably trade it.

I came across some bottles of Doom on Wednesday when I went looking for (and found) some ECBP. I cracked it open last night after smoking some brisket and pulled pork. I found my bottle of Doom to be a big disappointment.

Allow me to first say that I love Founder's All Day IPA so I was very much looking for to drinking it. What I drank was a very slightly altered Founder's All Day IPA. It was so little changed from a regular Founder's All Day IPA that if you presented it to me without telling me what it was, I would have guessed All Day IPA and not thought twice about it. And the faint bourbon taste I could pick up didn't mesh well with the lemon and grassy flavor of the IPA.

I would like to add that I first drank this immediately after eating my brisket and pulled pork. My meal could very well have affected my taste. However, I did finish off the bottle about an hour later and I did not notice a difference. My take on this is that not all beer should be aged in bourbon barrels. I'll be sticking to KBS and New Holland's Dragon Milk.

I would like to hear what other people think about this beer. It was the first time I was disappointed with a Founders product. It was OK but it didn't meet my high expectations. I'm in no hurry to drink my other bottle and I'll probably trade it.

Interesting, isn't it Double Trouble aged in bourbon barrels? I'm surprised at your comparison to All Day IPA.

Will

A Goose Island IPA, in the DFW airport. Not nearly as cool as drinking tons of great bourbon in the gazebo, but still a pretty enjoyable beer.

Four Roses OESO last night.

Cracking open a bottle of Bowman 17 yr 147.5 and will compare to a 2011 Stagg tonight to accompany the Pit Beef on the Big Green Egg.

Posted this in the wrong thread! Did drink "The Perfect Crime" Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone collaboration tonight. Solid beer, nothing too special.

I have never had Double Trouble so I can't speak to that. But I am very well acquainted with Founder's All Day IPA.

All Day IPA abv 4.9% and Double Trouble 9.4%. Doom is double trouble aged in Bourbon Barrels. I never enjoyed Burton Baton from DFH and this looks to be similar. I would try it but wont seek it out.

Last night I drank all three Bell's Eccentric Ales that I picked up last month -- a 2008, a 2005 and a 2004. I found that the older they were, the better. Not sure how much was a consequence of age, and how much was a matter of the actual recipe used. 2004 was especially nice, like a licorice whip dipped in chocolate.

I have never had Double Trouble so I can't speak to that. But I am very well acquainted with Founder's All Day IPA.

It will be released soon. It's a lot like Hopslam, perhaps as good or better, but certainly not as popular yet.

Pulled carpet up from the moment I walked in from work. Hardwood floors are nice, but eff all the effort. Unwinding with an Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout. Cocoa and coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels. 22oz. of delicious 11.4% goodness. Thanks, Jim!

post-9014-14489818934568_thumb.jpg

post-9014-14489818934568_thumb.jpg

Had a pair of fabulous English ales last night: Timothy Taylor's Pale Ale and Wells Bombardier Ale (an ESB). Compared to most American pale ales and IPA's, these are rather tame, as their flavors and aromas are quite subtle but very rewarding nonetheless. Can't wait for my trip to England in June to load up on cask ales. Tonight though I'll be hitting the Belgian ales after a spin to Binny's.

All Day IPA abv 4.9% and Double Trouble 9.4%. Doom is double trouble aged in Bourbon Barrels.

Also 42 IBU for All Day IPA vs 86 for Double Trouble.

Brew Free or Die IPA from 21st Amendment while processing photos from Bardstown.

Founders Old Curmudgean I had always kind of turned cheek on this one in the past but as of late I'm really digging it,great stuff really!

I HATE IPAs and likely hate 99% of any beer mentioned in this thread so please take that in consideration before blasting me for this post..I am trying Third Shift Amber Lager (a pretend microbrew from MillerCoors) for the first time. I like it, so shoot me..

You're a Houston native aren't you:grin: Who cares what we think...whatever floats your boat.

Edited by smknjoe
spellin'

I HATE IPAs and likely hate 99% of any beer mentioned in this thread so please take that in consideration before blasting me for this post..I am trying Third Shift Amber Lager (a pretend microbrew from MillerCoors) for the first time. I like it, so shoot me..

You're cool Brother, this isn't the PR&C section of SB.com.

Having a Double Crooked Tree IPA. Sure drinks easier than 12%. Really good stuff.

Having a Double Crooked Tree IPA. Sure drinks easier than 12%. Really good stuff.

That was my pick for best beer at the cookout. Damn fine drink, that. Not boozy at all.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!