What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Never walk away from a negotiation unless you simply have no interest! You shoulda counter-offered as he was obviously willing to dicker. You may not have brought him down to a reasonable level, but at least you could have shown you will pay a reasonable price. Dropping his price without dickering was a clear call for further discussion. A counter of, "Five hundred is a steep price for a bottle that retails for under three hundred," would have flowed right out of my mouth.

Edited by MauiSon

Passed up some Willett Family Reserve 6 year stuff for $45. Boarder line purchase, like the proof, but the 5 yr I had was disappointing. Ended up passing on the bottle, maybe if I'm bored in a month or 2 and its still in stock I'll take the plunge.

Thomas H Handy, unknown year, didn't look close enough......... for *drumroll please*....... $179.99

Passed up on 5 bottles of JPS18 batch 9 priced at $145 each. This is at a store I don't buy from but check in on from time to time. They are really proud of those 5 bottles and unwilling to move on price for all 5 bottles even if I plan on purchasing a case of 12 of something.

Passed on 2012 Handy, HW 21 yr Rocky Mountain, Lagavulin DE, several PHC blend of mashbills, Ardbeg Beist, and a few other items I don't usually see at home.

Glenfarclas 105, 80 bucks, no biggie, straying away from them for a bit so I'm OK with it.

Thomas H Handy, unknown year, didn't look close enough......... for *drumroll please*....... $179.99

They must be high on crack. Extremely high.

skidfive were they able to hold a straight face when demanding that price?

skidfive were they able to hold a straight face when demanding that price?

I didnt even talk to the employees. I was in the store for over 5 minutes at the bourbon wall without being greated (two employees walked between me and the wall to get to the back stock room), then I noticed a Wild Turkey tradition at $159.99, High west double rye at $69.99. after that, I just made my way towards the door when I noticed the THH in the case. saw that price, chuckled outloud, and headed for the door even quicker.

apparantly, this was the "best" place for bourbon in my new home town.

Willet 23 and 25yr Ryes in Willet gift shop. No idea if the $ was fair, just too rich for my blood without knowing what they tasted like.

guy, what was on the samples list?

Tour samples were;

Willet Pot Still (1st pour)

2nd pour being a choice of these:

Johnny Drum PS

Pure Kentucky

Kentucky Vintage

Rowan's Creek

Noah's Mill

Willet 4yr Rye

Some new product starting with an S, name escapes me. On sale in the shop as well

Speakeasy, probably. Haven't had it but recall seeing it down there.

Speakeasy, probably. Haven't had it but recall seeing it down there.

That sounds right. Surprised it's neither on their site or readily searchable on Google. But what do i know.

EC21.. $220.00 and PHC 6... $169.00

The price of the Parker's really suprised me as they are normally spot on with suggested retail price.

Willet 23 and 25yr Ryes in Willet gift shop. No idea if the $ was fair, just too rich for my blood without knowing what they tasted like.

Guy, do you remember what they were asking? I do like the older ryes, but I like them better when the price is right.

Vintage 23 - $225

Willett 25 rye, 100 proof - $265

Both prices are before tax. They've had these bottles for over 4 months.

Vintage 23 - $225

Vintage 23 near me is $96, but there's no way I'd even pay that. I think it's the worst expression of an aged rye, though a Lenell's Willett bottling comes close.

Vintage 23 - $225

What he said...or thereabouts. 25 might have been $249, but still. wow.

Vintage 23 - $225

Thanks, Guy. That V23 rye price is high! I was able to get a V21 rye for $68, but that was last year and I was lucky to find that.

I've only tried their 4yr Rye, not willing to make the jump even at $100. Have been a fan of their 8 and 9yr Bourbons, was hoping for something along those lines. But maybe next time. Now i know how short a drive it is from Bardstown (have family in town) i may have to randomly stop by more often.

The V23 rye I found locally a couple of months ago was 74.99. They 'found' a case of the V23 rye at the distillery a while back, and decided to sell it at the gift shop. I'll trust them on that story, but if they 'find' a case of V21 rye and start selling it for 250, then I'll be suspicious.

I think it's the worst expression of an aged rye, though a Lenell's Willett bottling comes close.

Is that the Red Hook Rye?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!