BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got my first bottle. OGD 114 virgin no more.

My first impression is Wooooooo this is one hot bourbon!

The alcohol really smacked me in the face, then as the burn slowly subsides all these great flavors start to emerge, the main one being sweet caramel corn.

I think it might really grow on me, but I'm definitely going to have it with a lot of ice.

OGD 114 dominates at its price.

For what its worth, as the bottle was open for the 6 weeks I had it it took on more a more nutty flavor. That is, more almonds not more crazy.

I think it might really grow on me, but I'm definitely going to have it with a lot of ice.

Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.

Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.

I'll echo again that Squire pretty much covered it. My only addition ... I like it! :grin:

I love OGD114! Squire pretty much hit the nail on the head. I really hope Beam keeps it in production and never changes it.

It's been years since I've had OGD114 and now I'm inspired to go get me some. Not available in my state (NH) so a trip across the border is indicated.

Cheers!

This is one of a VERY few good bourbons you can get in PA. It's really good stuff!

This thread prompted my to go to my stash and crack open a new bottle of OGD 114 ... damn, less than half a bottle left! :slappin:

It's funny, I often drink my bourbon with one or two ice cubes, but OGD 114 I either take neat or with a little cold water. It doesn't take ice well, to my taste.

That's interesting. OGD 114, in my experience, is just about the only bourbon that I enjoy with ice.

Bought my first bottle of OGD 114 2 weeks ago. I'm a fan. Enjoy the initial heat burst and the sweet caramel corn finish. When this bottle is gone I will be purchasing another. And for around $28 in CT quite the value.

Hate to make you cry but around here OGD 114 goes for around $18.49 to $18.99.

I think I'll go pick up a couple of more bottles.

Hate to make you cry but around here OGD 114 goes for around $18.49 to $18.99.

I think I'll go pick up a couple of more bottles.

I had a very similar experience. I absolutely despised this stuff at first (and it was one of my first bottles). The bottle sat for a few months before I filled a flask to take to a cigar event where I found it rather enjoyable.

I'm not entirely sure if it was my tastes growing, or if the bottle improved over a few openings with some time on the shelf, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another bottle.

I have a friend who is a martini drinker. His theory is that you have to just get the first one down as quickly as you can. Then the second and third are enjoyable.

Personally, I prefer bourbon because it is good from the get go. I don't mess with something I can barely tolerate just so it is bearable thereafter.

I went through my first bottle of OGD 114 in record time about a month back. Was very impressed for such a high proof how drinkable it was, I enjoyed with a few cubes of ice so that helped out. It will become a staple of a must have bottle on hand from here on out.

Squire described it so well, I don't think I can improve on his words.

I like the 114 a lot, but only a few of the larger/older stores around Eastern MA carry it. Among high-proof ryed bourbons, it can't be beat at its price point.

Edited by Kalessin

I don't know if I just got a bad bottle or what, but I bought a current bottle a couple of years ago and have tried it several times since but I can clearly taste the Beam funky yeast. It is IMHO clearly a different beast from the ND stuff of yesteryear which I dearly love. In side-by-side taste of 1980, 1988, 1992(I assume Beam bottling of ND juice), 1999, and 2010, I love the first three and don't care for the last two because of the yeast flavor. The Beam yeast taste is completely absent in first three. Mild in 1999 and strong in 2010. I find it hard to believe they are using the old ND yeast unless they are getting some cross-contamination. Again, JMHO

I don't know if I just got a bad bottle or what, but I bought a current bottle a couple of years ago and have tried it several times since but I can clearly taste the Beam funky yeast. It is IMHO clearly a different beast from the ND stuff of yesteryear which I dearly love. In side-by-side taste of 1980, 1988, 1992(I assume Beam bottling of ND juice), 1999, and 2010, I love the first three and don't care for the last two because of the yeast flavor. The Beam yeast taste is completely absent in first three. Mild in 1999 and strong in 2010. I find it hard to believe they are using the old ND yeast unless they are getting some cross-contamination. Again, JMHO

After trying the BiB and thinking it was only so-so, I was a little hesitant to buy the 114. Now it has become a staple. For around $20, it can't be beat.

After trying the BiB and thinking it was only so-so, I was a little hesitant to buy the 114. Now it has become a staple. For around $20, it can't be beat.

I also find there to be a large difference between the two.

They don't taste anything alike to me.

After privatization this has completely disappeared from Washington State. Anyone know who I can complain to to get it back?

I share your opinion. I've had a few bottles in the past, but recently picked up a new one and the profile has changed. Definite Beam funk in there. Still a great bourbon, but definitely different.

I hear about "Beam Funk" and similar expressions .. but not sure I understand what you are talking about. Does it include Knob Creek & Maker's?

I hear about "Beam Funk" and similar expressions .. but not sure I understand what you are talking about. Does it include Knob Creek & Maker's?

It would not include Maker's, but frankly if any most of the Beam hater's had never tasted glut-era Beam or ND OGD they would not even mention Beam funk. OGD 114 is very good, just buy it, and enjoy it.

A little late to the party, but I'll be opening a bottle of this later tonight. I like the OGD114 a lot and usually have an open bottle on hand.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.