New Wild Turkey Product Fall 2013 - Forgiven

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I took some RRSmB10/90 ($34) and mixed in some WTR101 ($23) and came up with the same thing as Forgiven for $20 less money.

Yeh the forgiven is almost $20 more for us too, making it around $90!

$90! FMD

If I'm not buying WTRB on price this one won't be replaced.

It's sad that there are probably only 2 bottles on the market here atm that I will actually get my wallet out for - GD12 @ ~$55 and Blanton Original @ ~$65.

What a panoply of rubbish - overpriced rubbish - overpriced we have here atm. The range is larger than I can ever recall but it's very hard to find value.

$90! FMD

If I'm not buying WTRB on price this one won't be replaced.

It's sad that there are probably only 2 bottles on the market here atm that I will actually get my wallet out for - GD12 @ ~$55 and Blanton Original @ ~$65.

What a panoply of rubbish - overpriced rubbish - overpriced we have here atm. The range is larger than I can ever recall but it's very hard to find value.

Yep, and the agument to increase alcohol tax still pops up regularly enough to keep me worried.

Add to your list WT101 and EC12 and that pretty much sums up my bourbon spending these days.

• 4 months later...

I attended a Wild Turkey tasting event Monday night at Seven Grand Whiskey Bar (San Diego location) presented by Wild Turkey Master Distiller Eddie Russell, and Wild Turkey Forgiven (or should that be abbreviated as WTF?) was one of the products in the tasting line up. It was a fun night, with Eddie entertaining us with numerous witty and funny stories about the bourbon/distilling world. But one this that surprised me was that Eddie stated that WTF has sold so well that the corporate suits told Eddie and Jimmie that they had to produce WTF as a regular product. :skep: Hmmm...WTF, indeed! Kinda surprised at this business decision, since WTF seems to be easily found on shelves still. Oh, and Eddie is sticking with the story behind WTF's accidental creation, basically that a female employee in charge of filling tanks didn't realize that they had switched over from bourbon to rye and ended up blending the two by mistake.

Overall, WTF didn't wow me. It isn't bad by any stretch, but just wasn't very integrated, IMHO. The WTF was sandwiched in between the RRSBSmB (smokey, vanilla/caramel, and in Eddie's words "as close to barrel proof as you're going to get in a bottle of Wild Turkey) and the RR Rye (spicy in a flavorful way, with no alcohol burn) in last night's tasting line up, both of which were better than WTF.

Well her's hope the employee kept her job and maybe got a raise/bonus/promotion since it's so successful.

Considering it's called forgiven rather than fired, I would think she did OK.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Eddie said that he kept the error from Jimmie for several months, and when he finally told his father, Jimmie said to fire the woman. Eddie convinced him to let her keep her job, but she still got a written notice put into her personnel file for poor job performance.

If I take Eddie Russell's statement at face value, that Forgiven has sold so well that management is having it continued as a regular product...well, I guess it is priced correctly, or maybe, even too low...

I'd be pissed if I got written up for something they're making a huge profit on.....

I'd be pissed if I got written up for something they're making a huge profit on.....

That was my thought as well.

That was my thought as well.

I agree that in hindsight, she has every right to feel that way today. Although when the accident happened, she probably felt lucky to have kept her job.

I agree that in hindsight, she has every right to feel that way today. Although when the accident happened, she probably felt lucky to have kept her job.

And now that they've decided to profit (even further) from the error, she should give them the bird!

Still don't explain why it costs so much.

That's the issue. It can be a great tasting whiskey but the price is too high for what you get. I can blend WT101 and either WTR101 or WTR81 and get a comparable product for less than 1/2 the price. I saw a Chicago retailer had advertised it for $39.99 a few weeks back. While I think that is too much, I was willing to buy it anyway. However, when I got there, the price was $49.99 so I passed.

If I take Eddie Russell's statement at face value, that Forgiven has sold so well that management is having it continued as a regular product...well, I guess it is priced correctly, or maybe, even too low...

I would be interested in hearing from Eric, Eagle and other retailers on how much they move. It seems like most bottles I see have a lot of dust on them already.

If the customers are buying more than expected, than the price must be more than right!

If I remember correctly, the original story was that they were bottling some extra aged rye at the time. Hence the higher price for Forgiven. My question is, WT was going to bottle some extra aged rye, and that flew under the radar? Nobody saw an extra aged rye label on the TTB or anything?

I don't remember the extra aged rye thing. Regardless, I don't believe it. Any of it. And if by chance any if it is even remotely true then PLEASE bottle said rye and not this crap again.

I'm expecting a bottle of the new WT101R next week. Well give it a SB blend #2 try with std WT101

If I remember correctly, the original story was that they were bottling some extra aged rye at the time. Hence the higher price for Forgiven. My question is, WT was going to bottle some extra aged rye, and that flew under the radar? Nobody saw an extra aged rye label on the TTB or anything?

Hm. One guess would be that it was older rye that was due to mix and mingle into the new release of WTR101. If so, this might be why the new stuff is tasting younger than the older releases.

Edited by Kalessin

Extra aged as in twice the legal requirement for a straight which means it's four years old.

I'd guess there a number of costs involved in bringing a new product to market. If it's for a single batch, those costs would probably be significant per bottle.

It will be curious if they drop the price though if the mistake becomes a permanent product.

A less ostentatious bottle would be a cost saver as well but the interest seems to be establish the brand in a more expensive bracket.

I'd guess there a number of costs involved in bringing a new product to market. If it's for a single batch, those costs would probably be significant per bottle.

I could buy that if it were in fact a new product but it's not, rather it's a mixture of two off the shelf (barrel?) regular products which sell for half as much on their own. Only the marketing concept is new.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.