New Wild Turkey Product Fall 2013 - Forgiven

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Great information though. Plenty of WT101 or RB to water back to 86.8, and have a little bunker of WTR101 that I can stretch as far as they are to make my own Forgiven at less than half the price. Thanks for the recipe.

Not even trying to pull out some 8-10 yr barrels to justify the price? I'd even accept pulling the WTR101 to make this brand if they priced it at $25-$30 ... this really is Shameless.

My gut feeling is that you can't approximate forgiven with WT101 or WTR, it's a specific pull of superior barrels. I think WT didn't get what they were looking for out of the Russell's 10 Year release and are now trying something without an age statement. But I'd really caution against judging spirits by age. I've spent some good time in rackhouses tasting barrels from different floors at the same age and the differences can be astounding!

Still, if it were age stated it would have a big ole 4 on it. For 50 bucks. This is craft territory, WT. shameless indeed.

I'll bet it's good. I've had very good luck with vattings of rye and bourbon of similar ages. But $50? Not even if they put a picture of a guy lighting a stogie on it.

My gut feeling is that you can't approximate forgiven with WT101 or WTR, it's a specific pull of superior barrels. I think WT didn't get what they were looking for out of the Russell's 10 Year release and are now trying something without an age statement. But I'd really caution against judging spirits by age. I've spent some good time in rackhouses tasting barrels from different floors at the same age and the differences can be astounding!

How do you know they pulled superior barrels? It wasn't mentioned in the press release and that actually runs contrary to the story of this release being an accident.

"superior barrel selection" is the last marketing line to use when there is nothing else because it's uncheckable

Also considering my local hole-in-the-wall just got a case of it unlooked for from the distributor, I've got to think that this is a relatively big release, despite the cutesy story. Sure, I could buy that an accident *might* have happened that was the genesis of this product (but I kind of doubt it), but this release is too big to comprise just that mistakenly mingled whiskey (if it ever happened at all). This is clearly a planned release.

Regular run 4 and 6 year old is what they put in that honey flavored stuff anyway isn't it? So a small mistake in the mixing room wouldn't have cost them anything.

My gut feeling is that you can't approximate forgiven with WT101 or WTR

Geoff I appreciate your comments but your premise is I wish to copy this stuff which I don't as there are plenty of quality high rye Bourbons on the market already. For the price of one bottle of Forgiven I can get two bottles of Old Grand Dad 114 which has higher rye, much higher proof and greater maturity as well.

Other than that review (which is fairly positive), anyone else buy a bottle yet and try it? I don't get caught up on the age statements personally - hell, I'd take some WFE 5 yr Rye over other 10 yr ryes. As long as what is in the bottle tastes good (enough), I'm interested.

I got a bottle of Forgiven today.

Wasn't looking for it but there it was on the shelf so it came home with me.

I got a bottle of Forgiven today.

Wasn't looking for it but there it was on the shelf so it came home with me.

So what's the verdict? Forgiven? Unforgiven? Or Forgotten?
Yes, if there is anyone who can render a verdict, you're it Oscar!

OK, here's the quick review,....LAME.

Nose: Wishy-washy youngness with a hint of spearmint in the background.

Taste: Thin, quick, no boubon qualities at all, hard to describe, crappy weak mint upon entry, reminds of the god-awful WT Rye 81 but Forgiven is more drinkable but that ain't sayin' much.

Finish: What finish? It disappears fast, which actually ain't a bad thing.

So this is another of Eddie's babies eh?

Or is WT pinning the blame on Eddie?

I suppose for the next few years WT and everyone else is just going to release young watered down whiskies.

Hopefully by the time they get their aged stocks up they will let us have some.

Thanks for taking one for the team on that one. As if this weren't already an easy pass.

I assume the Forgiven will be a 101 proof product?

Nope, it's watered down to the new-age-WT-91prf.

Thanks Oscar - much appreciated, and while I never liked the BS story behind this, I was hopeful the product in the bottle would be worth giving a try. You are a man that knows Turkey, and it doesn't appear you see any redeeming qualities here ...

Sounds like it will be another bottle headed to Australia in time for Christmas that will retail at an over-inflated price. They might even put it in a fancy box and charge $130 like they did with Kentucky Spirit last year.

Thanks for taking one for the team on that one. As if this weren't already an easy pass.

I agree with you MOKD, my friend! Oscar I'm so glad you did take it down for all the rest of us. I almost grabbed one trying to imagine it to be unique or even 'good'. I now know better. Apparently all 'marketing' and not much bourbon... or even decent rye. ....Too bad.

Sad thing is they could make a heavenly product, if it were comprised of the best of the best they had of both.

Thanks for the review Oscar,I figured you couldn't resist and I'm sad to hear it's another Turkey letdown.I think I've made up my mind on this one,we full agreed on the RRSBSmB and I'm sure this one will differ in no such way,such a same.

Edited by WAINWRIGHT

OK, here's the quick review,....LAME.

Nose: Wishy-washy youngness with a hint of spearmint in the background.

Taste: Thin, quick, no boubon qualities at all, hard to describe, crappy weak mint upon entry, reminds of the god-awful WT Rye 81 but Forgiven is more drinkable but that ain't sayin' much.

Finish: What finish? It disappears fast, which actually ain't a bad thing.

So this is another of Eddie's babies eh?

Or is WT pinning the blame on Eddie?

I suppose for the next few years WT and everyone else is just going to release young watered down whiskies.

Hopefully by the time they get their aged stocks up they will let us have some.

Thanks for the notes Oscar. Glad I passed on that one. First the ho-hum RR SBSmB now this. Before Campari took over WT wasn't always great but it was almost never boring. Now it seems all they can do is boring.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.