New Wild Turkey Product Fall 2013 - Forgiven

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It'll be curious to see if the sea change of opinion related to Stagg Jr. carries over to Forgiven. There was such hate toward Stagg Jr. when it was initially released, but now there seems to be a steady upswing in positive feedback toward it. To each their own. I'm an unabashed Forgiven fan.

In my head, the difference is WT took a $25 product and decided to make it a $50 one. BT took an $50 item and associated it with an $80 BTAC. Yah, i know BT has many a label they could have chosen...but they chose GTS. Realize it's all marketing spin, but let's be honest that most of what we're paying for anything above mid-shelf is branding.

In my head, the difference is WT took a $25 product and decided to make it a $50 one. BT took an $50 item and associated it with an $80 BTAC. Yah, i know BT has many a label they could have chosen...but they chose GTS. Realize it's all marketing spin, but let's be honest that most of what we're paying for anything above mid-shelf is branding.

Yeah, this is the key.

If BT had called Bambi anything else, it would still be a good value at $50, better value than Booker's and not as good as ECBP and the Four Roses private barrels.

WT Forgiven costs too much.

Please release an 8, 10, or 12 year 101, Wild Turkey! The most compelling product you could come up with is also the most obvious.

In my head, the difference is WT took a $25 product and decided to make it a $50 one.

As a fan of the WTR101, to me this entire shift toward WT81 and Forgiven is just a game to not only stretch rye stocks while they make more, but to really screw their customers in the process. I mixed a little WT101 and WTR101 and watered to 91 proof, and yeah, it was OK - if I wanted a bottle of it I could make it for less than $23 at current retail. An additional $27 in packaging and a cute story do nothing for me.

77% WT101 + 23% WT81 + 4.5% MORE water (to bring to 91 proof) = $50 Whiskey. What a great way to stretch the rye a little further at more than double the price. Genius, pure genius! :grin:

...but let's be honest that most of what we're paying for anything above mid-shelf is branding.

^

This is a brilliant evaluation, TGG.

I'll admit, that I was not happy with the tone of the conversation at the beginning of this thread. The herd got out of control, IMO. Jimmy Russell was basically called a liar! Bad. Very bad.

But, I've now had a chance to taste this whiskey. There is nothing offensive about it. It's OK. Drinkable, surely. The "story" doesn't bother me. The fancy packaging doesn't bother me. The taste doesn't bother me. But, as many have said, a $50 price tag on this whiskey is ridiculous by any measurement, IMO.

^

The fancy packaging doesn't bother me...

Joe: You consider the packaging fancy? To me, the label looks like it was made with a 1970s vintage copying machine. (with apologies for the snarky tone.... :27: )

Joe: You consider the packaging fancy? To me, the label looks like it was made with a 1970s vintage copying machine. (with apologies for the snarky tone.... :27: )

JB, I don't believe you could be snarky, even if you tried. :toast:

Every Forgiven I have seen in a store was in a box. Looked fancy, anyways. I may need to rethink that thought, though. But, have you seen how I dress? Fancy comes loose and easy to my eyes... :lol:

I put a bottle out at the Gazebo last week and it barely got nicked. Like what has been said , it's drinkable , not that bad; worth $25 , probably no where near $50.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle over the weekend, and agree with the general sentiment here. It's good - I like it quite a bit, but it's overpriced.

Craig

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if any of the other Aussies have mentioned this latest Turkey abomination that has been visited upon us down here

post-4654-14489819936313_thumb.jpg

Nice response to a spike in spiced rum sales...

EDIT

I've been reliably informed that you guys get this too. What a joke.

Edited by Pieface

• 2 months later...

I was given a bottle of this for Xmas. After my earlier rants I actually quite like this.

It goes really well with the humble pie I am now forced to eat :blush:

There is a ton of this on dealer shelves. I wonder how much the distributors are stuck with?

I noticed the same here this weekend. One store had close to 20 cases stacked in a end display. This may rival Beam's RI as a flop.

The odd thing to me both are sound concepts and from most accounts good whisky. The problem is they cost so darn much for what they are which is simply solid, versatile whisky without any special attributes of age, proof or finishing.

The odd thing to me both are sound concepts and from most accounts good whisky. The problem is they cost so darn much for what they are which is simply solid, versatile whisky without any special attributes of age, proof or finishing.

I agree 100% I am an unabashed WT fan all of their portfolio I have tried. I really liked Forgiven but the price really high. Once I tried it and then compared what was available at my local for 20-40 dollars I just can't go back to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.