New Wild Turkey Product Fall 2013 - Forgiven

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Setting proof aside for a moment what is the total percentage of rye grain.

78% 15 -18% rye mash bill (WT doesn't give out those figures)

22% 51% rye mash bill

If this whisky had been made originally as a high rye Bourbon what would have been the percentage of rye used in the mash bill? Math is not my area but I'm coming up with something like 26-28% rye for the final product, which would be . . . hmm, yes, the recipe for Old Grand Dad.

Edited by squire

Maybe I did it wrong? I took the difference between the two proofs (14.20) and multiplied it by 22% and added that to 86.8%. I did it fast and math never my strong suit..

Gary

P.S. If your number is right, maybe it's different for Australia because often as we know lower proof (e.g. 35% ABV) can be sold there. And watering 101 to 86.8 is fine, sure.

Edited by Gillman

The engineering major (a math guy) in our house just got out of class and calculates the rye percentage in the mixture to be between 23 - 26% of the total. So I could just add a splash of water to some Old Grand Dad BIB to get it down to 90ish proof.

I'm not saying it's the same whisky, not at all, just sounds damn similar.

Sounds like we got some interesting side-by-sides to try ... of course, that means someone has to spend $50 on the Forgiven...

However they did this, it seems to only make sense if they truly were blending 12+ yr whiskies - right? It would truly be "Unforgiven" if this is watered WT101 and the WTR101 they pulled from the market.

If I'm looking for four-grain, $50+ whiskey, I've got a half dozen over 65% sittin' in the cabinet.

Seriously though, how have we not heard first-hand reports on this yet? Or am I missing some?

Well, maybe only 1/3 of our distinguished members will rush out and buy this as soon as it hits their stores, what with all this negativity. Shoot it might last a few weeks on the shelves, even.

The WT we get in Australia is 86.8, 101, RR and the 101 rye, we get no 81 proof products at all, so I suppose it is plausible that the ratios are correct. They must bottle 86.8 for export, so why not use that? I feel blessed that at least we still have a lot of 101 rye here, its not my favourite rye, but by the sounds its a lot better than the 81!

I suspect that the truth is that barrel proof bourbon is mixed with barrel proof rye, and then an appropriate amount of water is added to reach the desired proof of 91.

http://kybourbontrail.com/the-wild-tale-of-the-whiskey-that-wasnt-supposed-to-be-introducing-wild-turkey-forgiven/?fb_source=pubv1

Made from 78 percent 6-year-old Bourbon and 22 percent 4-year-old Rye, the whiskey opens bold and finishes smooth, with tasting notes of creamy vanilla and oak, and a peppery, cinnamon finish.

Edited by Tucker

6 year old bourbon + 4 year old rye = $50????

SMFH

A more appropriate name would be Shameless

Well I'll be, I just read that link. I guess it's official, 4 year old Rye whisky is 'rare' and 'old' if it wears a WT label.

Wait a minute, if they were in the vatting room when the supposed incident occurred the whiskys would have already been reduced to bottling strength, so that means the Bourbon was 86 and the Rye 101.

Edited by squire

That's it!!! I'm done!!! Over!!!!!! Jimmy Russell will NOT be getting his bi-annual long hug from me at KBF!!! :mad:

You know you can get therapy for those sort of urges Joe.

I hear ya, Squire. That's why my therapist suggested that I find a suitable substitute. Someone with similar attributes to JR...Hmmm...So let's see, a senior, wise, genteel, bourbon guru, with a clever sense of humor....Hmmmm....So, what are you doing this weekend, Squire????? :D

Got a date with an angel Joe who likes vanilla vodka in her cherry 7up, says the bubbles tickle her nose.

Got a date with an angel Joe who likes vanilla vodka in her cherry 7up, says the bubbles tickle her nose.

:lol: You have a way with words Squire

Hot off the presses Wild Turkey Forgiven Review

Here's our summary if you just want the top line.

Divorced from its absurd back story and judged purely by what’s in the bottle (without paying any attention to what percentage of what and how old any of this is), Forgiven is quite an enjoyable and tasty whiskey. It captures many of the things we love about the Wild Turkey brand and brings it together into a single bottle. Forgiven is a well crafted whiskey that’s nicely balanced with some great complexity. Beyond tasting it for review, we found ourselves really drinking this whiskey – a true benchmark of a great product. We forgive Wild Turkey for spinning a yarn around this product. Great spirits like this don’t happen by accident, and no matter what its origin, age, or the composition of the blend, we love it.

6 year bourbon and 4 year old rye,well if you add them together it equals 10 years....... right?Well,at this point the RRSBSmB seems like a hell of a deal and I thought it was "green",I can't wait to try this at the same price.:rolleyes:

Great information though. Plenty of WT101 or RB to water back to 86.8, and have a little bunker of WTR101 that I can stretch as far as they are to make my own Forgiven at less than half the price. Thanks for the recipe.

Not even trying to pull out some 8-10 yr barrels to justify the price? I'd even accept pulling the WTR101 to make this brand if they priced it at $25-$30 ... this really is Shameless.

6 year bourbon and 4 year old rye,well if you add them together it equals 10 years

You have the knack for a lucrative marketing career.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.