New Wild Turkey Product Fall 2013 - Forgiven

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently I did a blend of WT 101 bourbon with the 81 bourbon, about 2:1. I find their profiles different, it's not just the proof. The 101 has caramel and pepper notes, the other is oily (corn) and younger seemingly. The combo was perfect, it smoothed out the rough notes of the 101 and gave it more body via the oils in the 81. I'd think something similar will occur with the mix of bourbon and ryes except in the reverse, the rye will be softened by comparatively sweeter and barrely bourbon. Of course, it will depend which bourbon and which rye they use and we don't have a clue as yet.

To me all it is is simply adjusting the mashbill of WT straight whiskey, the comparative amounts of corn and rye, it's just components you can move around until you get what you like. The "house" version will achieve its own balance in this regard.

On pricing, I'd assume the small volumes have something to do with it but perhaps this will be a barrel, or unusually high, proof, as well.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

On pricing, I'd assume the small volumes have something to do with it but perhaps this will be a barrel, or unusually high, proof, as well.

91? I missed that, interesting. Anyway so much will depend on the profile of the barrels: were they on the young side, oily/corny for the bourbon, etc.? We will have to see but right now, anyone who has the 81 rye and 101 bourbon might do a 50/50...

Gary

The math I don't get is you take half of a $20 bottle $10 and half of $20 bottle $10 how does that = $50 ?

From the description of the product, it sounds like they used a "very rare, high proof Rye", which probably rules out the standard 101 and 81 ryes.

If I had to throw out some "wild" speculation, I'd say they overaged some rye and couldn't barrel it as is. Mixed with a younger bourbon made the tired qualities of the rye seem sophisticated.

I've done this with my bottles of Hirsch 25 rye and Vintage 23 rye. By themselves they are flat, bitter, and overoaked. As a vatting component it's great!

Contrary to some of the speculation above, the proof at which whiskey is sold has nothing to do with proof in the barrel. Barrel proof for Wild Turkey, bourbon and rye, is lower than it is for most others because their barrel entry proof is relatively low, but it's always well above 101. Except for barrel proof expressions, water is always added before bottling to achieve whatever proof they want. One of Campari's changes has been to add that extra proof point to the other expressions, so it's 81 instead of 80, 91 instead of 90. It's all image, but it's a nice touch as that extra proof point is a Wild Turkey trademark.

That said, I'm not sure what they mean by "very rare, high proof rye." Quite possibly it means nothing, although it could mean some that, because of warehouse location and extra age, was higher proof than what they usually encounter. Barrels in the highest, hottest parts of the warehouses can age out to a very high proof.

WT Forgiven is now listed by MI LCC at the minimum shelf price of $50.99 plus 6% sales tax.

One my dealers told me yesterday she was expecting it in Sept. Said it was supposed be in some new "red" packaging.

The math I don't get is you take half of a $20 bottle $10 and half of $20 bottle $10 how does that = $50 ?

Paul if you and I were capable of that sort of math we wouldn't have had to work for a living.

Nothing really to say, just didn't want my post count to stay at 6,666. Wouldn't want to break anything around here.

I'm holding out for the next limited release: Unforgiven.

Apparently it's 1/2 WT81 rye and 1/2 WT American Honey, coming in at 76 proof.

50% off topic I suppose, but has anyone heard anything more on the 101 rye coming back to market??? Or is it all going into "Forgiven"??? Maybe if they wouldn't be doing all these product line extensions while claiming they are already short they would have enough to start bottling some 101 rye......

Why sell a bottle of 101 Rye for $25 when you can double the price by mixing it with some Bourbon.

I'm holding out for the next limited release: Unforgiven.

Apparently it's 1/2 WT81 rye and 1/2 WT American Honey, coming in at 76 proof.

I was waiting for "Forgotten" which is what this distillery is to me. SO much potential but nothing in recent years but younger and watered down products. I can't believe that this new joke is a $50 bottle! I was thinking I'd try it, assuming it was in the ~$35 range. I mean come on, HH puts out ECBP one of the better tasting bourbons released in the last few years, when considering the bang for buck it's probably best release in a long time and then WT does this? Lame.

But if I hadn't joined this site a month ago this is just the sort of thing I would have plunked $50.00 down for, ignorance is bliss

But if I hadn't joined this site a month ago this is just the sort of thing I would have plunked $50.00 down for, ignorance is bliss

I wonder how much of the price point had to do with the mental $50 barrier and how much was benchmarked against High West (Bourye, Campfire, etc..).

This is a very poignant thought indeed as not to let it slip into the "lesser"category,marketing strategy with mindless direction yet again?

Oh hell, I'll buy it...Despite all that's been said about everything else on this release, maybe it'll taste good...

Maybe it will taste really good, only one way to find out. Still, considering what they could've done it is lame.

There 's two ways to find out: mix your own and then try theirs. :) I suspect they will be very similar.

By the way a small volume, limited release like this can't sell for $20. Don't know about $50, but the $35.00 expectation mentioned above isn't unreasonable. Nonetheless you will have to go higher to get it. Well, that's the maker's right, to ask, and many here (maybe I too) will say no.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.