New Wild Turkey Product Fall 2013 - Forgiven

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So do people pretty much agree that this is probably a marketing ploy? If so, why make it available through only one retailer? I guess I have become too skeptical when it comes to how bourbon is marketed.

I'll concede that there might have actually been an accident that produced the product in the first place and they decided to replicate it. For me though, it is a bit too cute given they pulled WTR101 off the market in favor of the WTR81 and stating they didn't have enough aged stock to also support the 101. Suddenly they seem to have come up with quite a bit of aged rye.

That is what bothers me - I think they realized they could put their WTR101 stock to better use at more than twice the price, and spread it over at least twice as many bottles.

edit: and I'll add that Perkin's Bourye probably gave someone at Compari the idea ...

Edited by sutton

The more I hear about this marketing exercise the more blantant it appears. I like WT and would give them the benefit of the doubt, but they are really testing the limits of their customers. They must think we're so dumb.

The more I hear about this marketing exercise the more blantant it appears. I like WT and would give them the benefit of the doubt, but they are really testing the limits of their customers. They must think we're so dumb.

Yes, that's exactly what they think. We would like to give WT the benefit of the doubt but what we admire is a false facade. WT was sold to a major international corporation over 30 years age, hell, it's not even owned by Americans. For most of his career Jimmy Russell has been a company spokesman who very carefully toes the company line.

On a recent video Russel was speaking to a tour group when he said, "When people in Kentucky go into a bar no one orders Wild Turkey, they all say gimme some 101" which is pure nonsense. People in Kentucky are no different from anywhere else. Walk into a Kentucky Courthouse the lawyers are wearing blue blazers, Oxford shirts, rep ties and speak the same as attorneys everywhere. Walk into a Kentucky ER and the doctors, nurses and staff are providing the same level of care as hospitals in other States. Kentucky patrons order their choice by brand just the same as the rest of us.

The marketing department Russel works for has decided to use the number 1 as a hook for their brands, 81 proof rye, 91 on this latest stuff, 101 for the regular line, etc., just like we're a bunch of dumb dogs who will salivate over the idea of one additional point of proof.

Russel delivers the line as instructed with the smooth confidence of a con man and slick delivery of a snake oil salesman. What you say? Jimmy Russell isn't worried about keeping his job. Well, yes he is and even more than that want's to keep the slot open for his boy Eddie and like the Noes keep it in the family being the public human face on an otherwise faceless corporation.

It's a good gig, lots of travel, the booze is free and you're paid to drink it.

Yes, that's exactly what they think. We would like to give WT the benefit of the doubt but what we admire is a false facade. WT was sold to a major international corporation over 30 years age, hell, it's not even owned by Americans. For most of his career Jimmy Russell has been a company spokesman who very carefully toes the company line.

On a recent video Russel was speaking to a tour group when he said, "When people in Kentucky go into a bar no one orders Wild Turkey, they all say gimme some 101" which is pure nonsense. People in Kentucky are no different from anywhere else. Walk into a Kentucky Courthouse the lawyers are wearing blue blazers, Oxford shirts, rep ties and speak the same as attorneys everywhere. Walk into a Kentucky ER and the doctors, nurses and staff are providing the same level of care as hospitals in other States. Kentucky patrons order their choice by brand just the same as the rest of us.

The marketing department Russel works for has decided to use the number 1 as a hook for their brands, 81 proof rye, 91 on this latest stuff, 101 for the regular line, etc., just like we're a bunch of dumb dogs who will salivate over the idea of one additional point of proof.

Russel delivers the line as instructed with the smooth confidence of a con man and slick delivery of a snake oil salesman. What you say? Jimmy Russell isn't worried about keeping his job. Well, yes he is and even more than that want's to keep the slot open for his boy Eddie and like the Noes keep it in the family being the public human face on an otherwise faceless corporation.

It's a good gig, lots of travel, the booze is free and you're paid to drink it.

Who needs an MBA when you can learn it all here :bowdown:. It's a unique trait to be able to always follow the company line but that is what keeps you going in a corporate world. Mr. Russell is a wonderful man to meet in person but he had no problem performing the give em the bird schtick either.

Geeze Squire. Did somebody run off with your last bottle of Barton, and you had to drink your coffee straight this morning? :D

Just telling the truth Joe, tired of the evasion and company BS. I'd rather they not say anything than smilingly present me with a large shovel full of horse doodoo.

Agree with Squire, this one along with Stagg Jr isn't going to see my bar but I will enjoy reading everyone opinions here.

Just telling the truth Joe, tired of the evasion and company BS. I'd rather they not say anything than smilingly present me with a large shovel full of horse doodoo.

But Squire, what about this product is confirmed horse doodoo? Jimmy Russell said something to a member of SB, who reported that. Some promotional pieces presented here, repeat what JR said. The rest has been conjecturing by the board.

I'm not talking about the product Joe I'm talking about how it's presented. If the stuff is so good it's worth twice the sum of it's parts then tell me why instead of some silly story about tanks being spilled by mischance.

And just what were they planning to do with that rare old aged rye in the first place? It wasn't in barrels in the warehouse it was in a tank in the blending room.

The point that the bottle is priced at double that of the parts that went into it is moot. They'll price it at whatever they think they can sell it at. And, that IS 100% AMERICAN :usflag:. :D

I still don't see anything that is blatantly false on "how" they present the product, either...

I'll just say, if you're not enjoying Keebler Country Style Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins because of the whole Elf thing...well you don't know what you're missing!! :yum: I happen to know for a fact that they go great with The Head of the Bourbon Family! ;)

Also, I don't know the ins and outs for this particular industry, but surely the cost to package and promote a product selling (comparatively) just a few cases has to be more per unit or incrementally than for the big guns of the company (okay the 81 rye isn't a big gun but it's more than a few cases plus it is a regularly listed product). Maybe twice the freight is too much but as Joe says, they can ask what they want and value is in the eye of the seller - but also the buyer...

Gray

I'll just say, if you're not enjoying Keebler Country Style Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins because of the whole Elf thing...well you don't know what you're missing!! :yum: I happen to know for a fact that they go great with The Head of the Bourbon Family! ;)

I'll have to take your word on that Joe, I don't trust a bunch of guys living in the woods without any women.

There are hundreds of cases coming to Australia in October with 40 cases coming to Adelaide! Should retail here for about $90. Campari management have told me that its a combination of 78% 86.8 bourbon and 22% 101 rye. That sounds hard to believe as the mixture of 101bourbon and 81 rye is a lot more believable!

Interesting that such a specific description would be offered, I'd take it at face value. That would be about a 4:1 combination.

Gary

It will be interesting to make this at home in that ratio and compare to the shelf product. My suspicion is that it will be nearly identical.

There are hundreds of cases coming to Australia in October with 40 cases coming to Adelaide! Should retail here for about $90. Campari management have told me that its a combination of 78% 86.8 bourbon and 22% 101 rye. That sounds hard to believe as the mixture of 101bourbon and 81 rye is a lot more believable!

What a surprise - the 101 rye makes its re-appearance in a bottling where you get one-fifth the amount at a tremendous price increase. Wonder if the price is an "accident" as well...

edit: and I know it is picking nits, but these ratios are closer to 90pf, not 91 ... you'd think they'd get that part right - to use those proofs it would have to be more like 70/30 bourbon to rye to yield 91 proof.

Edited by sutton

I'll be awaiting everyone else's reports.

ETA: unless there is more to it, this sounds like one of the bigger ripoffs of the year.

Edited by MyOldKyDram

I guess they are trying to do more of the whole limited quantity release type strategy that is working so well for the others. Releases done this way has always guaranteed a complete sell out in a really short amount of time.

I get 90.805% proof using the numbers reported from the (apparent) Campari source. I suspect this meets the 91 proof requirement if you apply the tolerance factor, which IIRC is .2% at least in the U.S. and Canada.

So it all checks out (methinks).

Hey Steve (or others) do your magic and tell us what it tastes like!

Gary

I get 90.805% proof using the numbers reported from the (apparent) Campari source. I suspect this meets the 91 proof requirement if you apply the tolerance factor, which IIRC is .2% at least in the U.S. and Canada.

So it all checks out (methinks).

Hey Steve (or others) do your magic and tell us what it tastes like!

Gary

Could be - my math might be wrong here - I just did (.78)(86.8) + (.22)(101) = 89.9 ... is this not the right way to look at it? (Again, not a big issue - but I would like to try to blend myself. Do you think WT101 watered to 86.8 is fair, or take something a bit more substantial like RB and water it back to 86.8?)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.