Four Roses 2013 Small Batch LE

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The store owner I frequent said it would be out before Christmas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That will make a nice Christmas gift! Very interesting bourbon. I bought a bottle about two months ago. Just had my second pour a few nights ago. I resolved to only drink it when company comes over. Something like this is meant to be shared.

If any of our Detroit area folks find some and are leaving it I would love to know where you get it. This is really really tasty.

Best regards, Tony

Finally getting this side by side with it's sibling, the 2012 release. Talk about being spoiled for choice!

The 2012 has been open at least 6 months, the 2013 only a few weeks. Oxidation might be playing a part here.

After about 10 minutes of airtime, the 2012 takes the nose by a mile. I'm gravitating towards the 2013 on the palate, as it's got that dark, rich, fruit taste and subtle oakiness that I love, compared to the more dusty, delicate flavors of the 2012. Finally, I'm partial to the 2013's finish, which seems to last a good bit longer.

I wasn't the biggest champion of the 2012 release. Despite it being a good whiskey, I don't think it deserved all the lofty praise, especially considering the 2012 Single Barrel, which was practically overlooked in comparison (I've tried 4 of the barrels). The 2013 is a big step up from the 2012 Small Batch. If I could take the nose of the 2012 and combine it with the taste and finish of the 2013, I might have my perfect bourbon.

Unfortunately, my usual practice of vatting my head-to-head comparisons to see if the combination yields some hybrid vigor failed in this case. The nose of the 2012 carries over, but the flavors of the 2013 only get confused.

2012 Small Batch: B+

2013 Small Batch: A-

50/50 Vatting: B-

If any of our Detroit area folks find some and are leaving it I would love to know where you get it. This is really really tasty.

Best regards, Tony

I haven't tasted this bourbon, but it is one that I'd love to get.

It's the only bourbon I'd hunt for now.

Will

Named Whiskey Advocate's "North American Whiskey of the Year" this morning. Two years in a row for Four Roses!

The store owner I frequent said it would be out before Christmas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Edited by nd2005

I kept using that line on my wife on the long car ride the day after our Thanksgiving feast. I told her to enjoy the smells because they were free. She wasn't amused.

Well my wife doesn't partake of bourbon but the other night she told me what I was sipping smelled good. It was of course FR 125th SmB. I think I'm making progress. She has tried some different things but nothing has gotten her attention except the nose on the 125th.

My wife likes to steal sips from me - she stopped wincing last year, and just last month I caught her going "MMmmmmm ... I like that one"

Ahh, you keep it in a decanter.

I find that a little risky with the good stuff, because then everyone wants to try it.

The other (more exciting to me) news from the list, if I am interpreting it right, is that they are going to start allowing barrel strength four roses private selections...

The other (more exciting to me) news from the list, if I am interpreting it right, is that they are going to start allowing barrel strength four roses private selections...

Good deal, hope this is true.

Already the case, at least in the Atlanta area. I have seen a couple of FR barrel strength picks hit stores this fall.

We were talking specifically about the state of Michigan.

Barrel proof store selections have not been available in MI, but they popped up on the liquor control list as of December 1st (as did the FRLE Small batch, which was what prompted the discussion of when it might hit stores in MI)

We were talking specifically about the state of Michigan.

Barrel proof store selections have not been available in MI, but they popped up on the liquor control list as of December 1st (as did the FRLE Small batch, which was what prompted the discussion of when it might hit stores in MI)

I know the Oakland has picked their own barrel strength OBSV, but I don't think its arrived there yet. The guy at Kakos said he was offered one by the distributor but he turned it down. I can't fathom why he would not want to do one, but I don't think he's much of a Four Roses guy.

I also asked him about the Ltd Ed Small Batch and he gave me this long speech about how everybody is calling him and he might only get three bottles and blah blah blah and I should just keep stopping in to see if he got any. This after I'd spent a few hundred dollars buying stuff there over the past couple months. Thanks dude.

I also asked him about the Ltd Ed Small Batch and he gave me this long speech about how everybody is calling him and he might only get three bottles and blah blah blah and I should just keep stopping in to see if he got any. This after I'd spent a few hundred dollars buying stuff there over the past couple months. Thanks dude.

One of the Ann Arbor stores claimed the distribution for the whole state is going to be minuscule (something along the lines of only a couple dozen bottles), and was skeptical of even getting any. He tends to fib a bit though from my interactions with him so I'm holding onto hope...

One of the Ann Arbor stores claimed the distribution for the whole state is going to be minuscule (something along the lines of only a couple dozen bottles), and was skeptical of even getting any. He tends to fib a bit though from my interactions with him so I'm holding onto hope...

Yes, I would chalk that up to BS, like I'm doing to Kakos Guy's statements. Somebody posted in another thread that 200 some bottles were coming to the state. I don't remember what the exact number was but it was oddly specific which leads me to believe that it was accurate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.