Four Roses 2013 Small Batch LE

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wandered I to a store new to me in the Boston suburbs during my lunch break last week. I struck a conversation with the owner and asked if he had anything unusual. He produced a bottle and I snapped it up. Lucky day for me.

If you're in the Seattle area and ISO this stuff, PM me for the location of a bottle on the Eastside - just beware, it'll cost you $120ish to get it out the door.

Welcome to SB! Thanks for the heads up - we were able to find them. :-)

Drop on by and introduce yourself in the new members area.

I wandered I to a store new to me in the Boston suburbs during my lunch break last week. I struck a conversation with the owner and asked if he had anything unusual. He produced a bottle and I snapped it up. Lucky day for me.

After you paid, did you make sure to explain this isn't unusual...more incredible?

• 2 weeks later...

I may have bigsteined today...local place called with a bottle of the FRLE Small Batch 2013 on hold for me. Now to figure out how to get my sedated ass to the store to buy it.

I may have bigsteined today...local place called with a bottle of the FRLE Small Batch 2013 on hold for me. Now to figure out how to get my sedated ass to the store to buy it.

Just push your drip bag holder/roll-around down the street to the store

;-)

4R! Pappy Pappy 4R Stagg! Stagg Stagg Stagg Handy Stagg! Weller Weller Weller 4R BTAC! Did I mention 4R?! Pappy!!! 125th! OMG!

4R! Pappy Pappy 4R Stagg! Stagg Stagg Stagg Handy Stagg! Weller Weller Weller 4R BTAC! Did I mention 4R?! Pappy!!! 125th! OMG!

Bless your heart!

I haven't seen a lot of tasting notes recently (should I put this in the tasting forum?) So, here are mine from the last VBT. Please, note I've only had about 3-4 ounces so far and I let the pour(s) sit for 30-60 minutes before consuming.

Appearance: Medium honey and legs that are well spaced and go on forever

Nose: Oak, sweetness that is reminiscent of vanilla, and slightly floral (maybe fruity) with hints of cinnamon and possibly black pepper peeking through. Very well integrated.

Taste: The oak ramps up somewhat as does the sweet vanilla and spice, but again very well integrated.

Finish: the flavors on the palate gracefully fade away into nothing. A little too quickly really (for me.) It begs for you to drink more...which I gladly do.

What do you think?

Excellent notes, Joe. I for one welcome more tasting notes.. Too often these threads on LE stuff devolve into bragging about acquisitions or begging where to find a bottle. I'm as guilty as anyone, though. I'll put up my own notes tonight. I've been meaning to do a head-to-head with the 2012 version (and maybe what's left of that 2011 you abandoned at Wade's house!).

Very nice notes. I personally find the finish to be longer/better than 2012. It has a way of blooming from the mid-palate and really becoming a huge whiskey for me. Your flavor notes are pretty spot on in my experience though. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for those notes! Looking forward to the 2012/2013 comparo. It will be very interesting given the common components and additional age on the 2013 over the '12.

'13 is definitely smoother than the '12 but also think the '12 has a bit more spice / punch to it. Both are incredible, glad I was fortunate enough to have been able to try both =)

I've been meaning to do a head-to-head with the 2012 version (and maybe what's left of that 2011 you abandoned at Wade's house!).

I thought that I would surely be able to find more of the 2011 since it sat around here so long, but no luck. That bottle is what made me a believer in 4F. It's unique in it's own right. I still have a small bit of that stashed somewhere (I think.)

A side by side of the 2012 and 2013 are up next for me sometime soon as well.

Great notes Joe. I also found that the finish on this one left me begging for more. So much so that my first bottle didn't see morning!

Great notes Joe. I also found that the finish on this one left me begging for more. So much so that my first bottle didn't see morning!

I prefer the 2013 to the 2012 because of it's drinkability. The '12 is hotter and even after a splash of water to closer match the proof of the '13, the drinkability improves but I lose some nuances too. At similar proof I think the '13 has more going on and is more balanced.

I'm traveling some this weekend. Do any SBers have some inside info on where I might be able to find this in MD, NJ, PA or NY? Much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I've done so far is look at the two bottles on my bar and smile so far. I think I'll open one on Thanksgiving.

I'm traveling some this weekend. Do any SBers have some inside info on where I might be able to find this in MD, NJ, PA or NY? Much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't bother with PA- all state owned, the bottles hit online a few weeks back and were gone in under an hour. None made it to retail.

Try winesearcher for those other states, might be a straggler somehwere.

Any of the MI guys hear a rumor that this is releasing in MI this year? I know the small batch le never released here before but a store owner told me this the other day. Didn't see it on the price list yet either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Michigan is receiving the Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2013 (125th Anniversary) this year. 144 bottles for the entire state.

It totally amazes me how some states get items months before others. I don't believe there is any other consumer product that has such a diversified distribution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.