Four Roses 2013 Small Batch LE

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Eric has some in Elizabethtown:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16644[/ATTACH]

Mr Rutledge actually stopped in today with no appointment. I had sent a message to 4R asking that he sign a bottle for a charity auction later this month.

I was at a meeting about the charity event and my staff called to say he was in the store. A mere 12 hours after I asked for one signature on one bottle. He signed every bottle on the shelf and was his usual friendly self. He said his schedule was very full except for this afternoon.

He even bought one of his own bottles.

Seriously though, great story, and just another illustration/reason as to why those guys are the best.

I emailed him before my last deployment asking that he sign my 2008 Mariage bottle and he responded back within 12 hours, happy to meet me and sign it. Can't speak enough to this man's character.

Mr Rutledge actually stopped in today with no appointment. I had sent a message to 4R asking that he sign a bottle for a charity auction later this month.

I was at a meeting about the charity event and my staff called to say he was in the store. A mere 12 hours after I asked for one signature on one bottle. He signed every bottle on the shelf and was his usual friendly self. He said his schedule was very full except for this afternoon.

He even bought one of his own bottles.

Way beyond cool! What a man of dignity...and as if he needs a bottle of 4R too.

Way beyond cool! What a man of dignity...and as if he needs a bottle of 4R too.

We all need a bottle of four roses. Don't be silly

This stuff is silly good. I've never tried the 17yr GS version i hear so much about. So i was walking into this with open eyes (and palette) not knowing what to expect.

For such a high proof i cut with just the smallest amount of water and it was buttery smooth. Best way i can describe it is darker and richer than '12 version. Very glad i have a few backups of this.

We all need a bottle of four roses. Don't be silly

We also discussed the proof of this bourbon.

I had no idea that some barrels can go down in proof. He said that was the case with some of the bourbon in this one.

One interesting comment was: four roses will never put out a flavored whiskey product as long as I am the master distiller.

We also discussed the proof of this bourbon.

I had no idea that some barrels can go down in proof. He said that was the case with some of the bourbon in this one.

One interesting comment was: four roses will never put out a flavored whiskey product as long as I am the master distiller.

A man of conviction...another reason to love him (and 4R)!

A man of conviction...another reason to love him (and 4R)!

Agreed, Paddy! But OTOH, I wish he had less conviction on his lack of willingness to come out with a 4R Straight Rye! :D

In the meantime, I'll just be completely pleased with everything else he does. :bowdown:

Anyone know if this has this hit the shelves in NY or CT yet, or did I miss it already?

"He even bought one of his own bottles."

Thats just classic.

You know if he personalizes them they are not worth as much. He will tell you that himself. I had him put my name on it...........

So I'm picking up a back up Loki (nice peat) 3df30df6-958e-4c21-a33b-25fad3bc5d79_zpsd466d756.jpgat the local Liquor Barn and my wife sees a 125th in the backroom and inquires. Reserved they say, despite that they always tell me it's first come/first served. The guy said it was their only bottle, right.:smiley_acbt:

So I'm picking up a back up Loki (nice peat) 3df30df6-958e-4c21-a33b-25fad3bc5d79_zpsd466d756.jpgat the local Liquor Barn and my wife sees a 125th in the backroom and inquires. Reserved they say, despite that they always tell me it's first come/first served. The guy said it was their only bottle, right.:smiley_acbt:

The fun of a big box store....they may get more than your small local shop, but best of luck getting the same answer out of two people who work there.

Mad respect to TPS though, as they seem to be uniform about what hits the glass case and 1/customer. At Liquor Barn and a few other larger shops I've seen activities and actions that made me shake my head.

This finally showed up in my area. I managed to get a couple. The guys at the store said our state only received a few cases. I believe they're all gone from the stores that received them in within half a day yesterday.

Last night, I did a sbs of the FRSmBLE2012 with the FRSmBLE2013. 2012 is sweeter, thicker mouth feel, tasted a little younger, and a little hotter compared to the 2013. The 2013 is really smooth...dangerously smooth while still showing all the complexities in a little more balance. I like both very much. To me, the 2012 is a little more lively kind of like a younger individual with a little more kick to their personality and behavior while the 2013 is of a little more age, mellower, mature, balanced, kind of like an adult who have been through life a little (just a little) and has a little experience of everything to round themselves out. Just really pleasant and interesting at the same time:)

Agreed, Paddy! But OTOH, I wish he had less conviction on his lack of willingness to come out with a 4R Straight Rye! :D

In the meantime, I'll just be completely pleased with everything else he does. :bowdown:

Concur! A 4R straight rye would be amazing (and likely cause a riot at the gift shop):bowdown:

I was just reading this interview two years back with Mr. Rutledge, in which he talked about the possibility of rye, but I don't know if he had a change of heart.

"We’ve got to get approval from our owner [in Japan] and right now he’s beginning to bend. He’s beginning to field so many questions himself that he’s realizing how popular rye is becoming."

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/10/05/drinking-distiller-jim-rutledge

Jim addressed this during the small batch release lunch. Short version is that it's not going to happen, and even if it did it wouldn't materialize for 7+ years. They're at full capacity producing bourbon to keep up with their growth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.