What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Welcome Bings! We've been waiting for you to crash this party!

I came in like a wrecking ballll!!!

Rittenhouse BIB as it's the only rye I've got besides Beam.

Edited by jonnyd

HW Rendezvous that was given to me by my BIL. Not as good as the Bourye, but still tasty

wife coerced me into watching the grammys last night ao had a pour of Michter's Straight Rye and made an Old fashioned w/ Bulleit Rye

Dang.....feeling a little sheepish compared to passthebourbon's pic above. Impressive!

Going with CEHT Rye tonight.

Started with Dickel and then moved on to WTRR.

I really love the balance of the Dickel. It is a solid, straight up and enjoyable easy drinker....but, the WTRR has really grown on me. It's got this very unique loamy/earthen/dirt thing going on. When I first opened this bottle, this aspect was very pronounced and strongly stated (and honestly quite unlike anything I had encountered previously).

Fast forward....after a few weeks of exploration and AT, I am finding myself enamored with the nuances of this sweet nectar. It may be me, but now the bottle seems to have polished its edges and smoothed in its profile.

I'll chalk up my initial confusion to a combination of oak influence, nutmeg and other subtle baking spices being cleverly disguised to overwhelm my palate. Thankfully (after I managed to get my head around it), it now presents itself as sweet baking spice, caramel and dirt honey going down! This rye appears perfect for an after dinner (or with dessert) drink.

Think I'll go pour another....

Rye blend tonight, about 50/50 of RitBIB and Lot 40.

The Lot 40 really pulls through distinctively in the glass.

B

60/40 vatting of Saz18 and Hirsch22. Thanks to Johnny((Chainwhip) for the brainstorm on this one. If you have both available you won't regret a couple oz to mingle. Damn tasty.

Made my wife set up a blind tasting of VWFRR, Saz18, and VOSN 18 rye (thanks ChainWhip). I successfully picked them out, which is definitely my first in a blind tasting.

I preferred the VW, the Saz18, then the VOSN, but the saz18 and VOSN were very close. To me, the VOSN was comparable to the VW in profile, but the VW was more complex and had a better mouthfeel. The Saz18 was much softer than the VOSN or VW, but it had a better finish and rye kick.

Made my wife set up a blind tasting of VWFRR, Saz18, and VOSN 18 rye (thanks ChainWhip). I successfully picked them out, which is definitely my first in a blind tasting.

I preferred the VW, the Saz18, then the VOSN, but the saz18 and VOSN were very close. To me, the VOSN was comparable to the VW in profile, but the VW was more complex and had a better mouthfeel. The Saz18 was much softer than the VOSN or VW, but it had a better finish and rye kick.

Cool tasting. What year was the VW? And was there a date on the St. Nick?

Cool tasting. What year was the VW? And was there a date on the St. Nick?

The VW was 2012 and the VOSN I don't know but it's 104.6 proof. I'm bad at describing ryes, but the VOSN had a somewhat medicinal finish. I can tell the Saz is a few proof points lower. On it's own it's a beautiful pour but next to the VW and VOSN it was very tame.

And Johnny/ChainWhip is getting name checked quite a bit in this thread. :grin:

Sharing is caring? ;)

Here's what the bottle of Very Olde St. Nick 18 Year Rye looks like (I could not find a date/date code/date imprint on labels nor bottle):

10173783233_f2360dcc0a_z.jpg

Sharing is caring? ;)

Here's what the bottle of Very Olde St. Nick 18 Year Rye looks like (I could not find a date/date code/date imprint on labels nor bottle):

10173783233_f2360dcc0a_z.jpg

KBD has put out some really incredible bottles of ultra-aged rye and bourbon.

Wish I'd grabbed on of those St Nick's back when I had the chance! Working on three fingers of Dickel after yet another rough weather day.

Had me a rye nite. Started with small pours of Russell 6yr and an Old Scout 8yr at 58%. Followed with a little Dickel rye and a Ritt BIB. Have to say the most enjoyable was between the Dickel and the Russell. The Scout made up for lack of rye punch with ABV and good barrel influence. The Ritt seemed muted after these, but the Dickel held its own with big fresh rye and solid character. A fun nite.

Big pour of (ri)1 . . . and now I get it. Yeah . . . hope this grows on me. Definitely different, but not in that Arby's sorta way.

Father in-law is in town tonight, so we went out. Was able to try Saz 18. All I have to say is wow.

That is a good time with the FIL. Excellent choice!!

As for me, finishing off the night with some Lot 40. No Saz, but a a fine rye in a different direction.

B

WTR101 in an Old Fashioned. This is really the only reason I was worried about this label going away. I'm not a huge fan of WT rye by itself, but good god, I can make it sing in a whiskey cocktail.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!