What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hidden

Opened the New Year with a pour of HW Double Rye. It is a very nice whiskey. It has a nice spicy bite but is smooth. You can taste a young grassy taste but it still has some complexity to it. One of the better middle price range rye options.

Opened the new year with a nice pour of HW Double Rye. Very tasty pour. The nose is green with a hint of grass and flowers. The entry is nice and spicy followed by the grassy, flowery flavors noted in the nose. A little sweeter than many ryes. It is a solid middle price range rye whiskey. It is also a very dangerous pour because it is easier to drink than sip.

Saz 18. Great after dinner pour. Keep reminding myself to try to stash a couple before the tank runs dry. Problem is my demand is much higher than supply.

Working on two fingers of WTRRR with a few drops of water. No extremes here....but I'm finding it to be adequately dependable, balanced and smooth.

Whistle Pig. Good, but not as complex as I'd like it to be for the price.

Brought out the big time bottle tonight......Fleischmann's :grin: (the straight rye bottling)

I have to admit, it's a pretty decent whiskey. The store had 2 bottles and I should have picked up both of them.

A friend finally showed up with a couple long-promised bottles of Ritt from Chicago so I no longer have to ration the last 1/4 bottle I had. Enjoyed a couple nice pours. (Would have shared--maybe--but he was driving and the roads are bad enough after the recent weather.)

AE Rye last night,definitely a mood pour and last night was the right night......the amount of gingerbread on the nose still blows me away every time!

Friday night tasting was a head to head with 1) Doug Phillips' Green Ink and 2) Rathskeller. My head exploded.

Very cold day and night here-snow still on the ground from yesterday's storm. Warming up with some AE Rye after some hibachi with the wife and kids.

I know the AE Rye can be polarizing, but I really think they did an amazing job with this Rye. And it seems to have gotten better with time--so much flavor. I just happened to pick up a backup today, and glad I did.

Friday night tasting was a head to head with 1) Doug Phillips' Green Ink and 2) Rathskeller. My head exploded.

Nice! Please post your comparison.

Nice! Please post your comparison.

Not great on tasting notes but here we go:

1) Dougdog- the best whiskey I have ever tasted and I'm a wheater guy. I have no clue how a pour at this proof can be so drinkable neat. It has a nose for all time, a taste of oak, rye spice, cinnamon, layers upon layers. And a finish that lingers like your first love.

2) Rathskeller- sister barrel to the Dougdog. Expected it to be similar but it really wasn't. Noses were really close but the Rath punched you in the mouth with rye spice and heat on the sip. Finishes were close.

Overall the Doug was more nuanced and layered in the taste but it is tough to try to differentiate them. Dougdog was thunder and Rath was Lightning. Give the Doug the win by a nose but both are Hall Of Fame pours.

Not great on tasting notes but here we go:

1) Dougdog- the best whiskey I have ever tasted and I'm a wheater guy. I have no clue how a pour at this proof can be so drinkable neat. It has a nose for all time, a taste of oak, rye spice, cinnamon, layers upon layers. And a finish that lingers like your first love.

2) Rathskeller- sister barrel to the Dougdog. Expected it to be similar but it really wasn't. Noses were really close but the Rath punched you in the mouth with rye spice and heat on the sip. Finishes were close.

Overall the Doug was more nuanced and layered in the taste but it is tough to try to differentiate them. Dougdog was thunder and Rath was Lightning. Give the Doug the win by a nose but both are Hall Of Fame pours.

Excellent, thanks! I've had Rathskeller, Iron Fist, and Red hook but not side by side. All were stellar though.

Excellent, thanks! I've had Rathskeller, Iron Fist, and Red hook but not side by side. All were stellar though.

Every enthusiast should be lucky enough to try one or more of that line of ryes. Even if you think you don't like ryes. There was some magic in those barrels from KBD. I am fortunate to have had access.

Luther, did you notice a difference in the the three you tasted or have a memory of a favorite among them?

Regular old Ritt BIB 354 I have neglected this bottle for some time and I honestly don't know why,great stuff at a great price.I'm glad I put a few away before the switch over,I still enjoy the DSP 1 a fair amount but for me the 354 outshines it by a fairly wide margin.

After a beer or three last night we drifted into whiskey (and other things) including a bit of AE rye for dessert. As delightful as ever!

Saz18 and a tiny bit more Rathskeller. Saz is a classic but not fair to drink one after the other. The Rath taunts and laughs heartily at the Saz and my sample is almost gone.

Luther, did you notice a difference in the the three you tasted or have a memory of a favorite among them?

I seem to remember the Rathskeller being a bit more woody and bold than the other two, and the Iron Fist being slightly lighter. I'd really have to do SBS to have a conclusive opinion though.

Thomas H Handy tonight. I really, really like this stuff. Lucky for me it's the least appreciated of the BTAC bottles.

How do the Willett and Rath compare to VWFRR Johnny (or anyone else)?

Joe, not a direct answer but I bet the Willett and Rath would blow away the VVFRR due to the proof. Unless you diluted them to the VW's level. We did a tasting several months ago with a Hirsch 22, BMH 23, VWRye, Willett-Doug/Neal and Willett-Doug Green ink. The last two stood head and shoulders over the others and we decided it was due to the barrel strength more than anything because the ages were close. Just wasn't a fair comparison. Kind of like my post above w the Saz18v the Rath.

Thanks Dusty. The reason I ask is because I'm not really a big rye fan. I've had Ritt BIB and it seems like it's better suited as a mixer as opposed to a sipper. However, I got a bottle of VWFRR this year because it was offered to me and I had not tried it. I was very surprised that I really enjoyed it. I've also tried Saz18 at a tasting and didn't care for it. So, I guess I'm just curious to see how you rye lovers think they compare.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!