What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pulled some baby Saz tonight. Tasty and flavorful, but the 90 proof and youth leave it awfully light bodied.

That's how I find it young and a little lacking.

Following with WTR101. Definitely prefer the WT tonight, though it didn't stand out in a larger flight a month ago. More body and more bite.

I have been with you tonight.

I actually did a flight tasting at home tonight while playing Uno and watching It's a Wonderful Life. Partially blind. My rankings end up:

Jeff 10 NCF

HW DR

WTR 101

Willett 4 Yr

Ritt BIB

Baby Saz

There really wasn't much difference between HW DR, WTR101 and WFE 4...a little drop off to Ritt BIB and Baby Saz. Jeff10 NCF was the clear winner!

Ended with a second pour of WFE 4. All pours were about 1/2 ounce.

Thanks for the pairing rankings! I've never had the Jeff 10, but really need to get around to giving it a go. I did go back to the WFE well again, as this bottle has really opened up nicely over the past few weeks!

Jeff10 NCF was the clear winner!

Well, if you insist, I'll fire that up next.

I will add that the nose on Saz is more interesting than WT, but I'm more of a palate/finish guy at the end of the day.

Well, if you insist, I'll fire that up next.

I will add that the nose on Saz is more interesting than WT, but I'm more of a palate/finish guy at the end of the day.

You know you wanted to! :grin: It's been a great "Rye" Friday! Enjoy!

Had my first taste of Saz 18 tonight. Cracked the sample bottle and the nose was amazing. The first sip I had was hot, almost too hot. After that though it was just straight up good rye whiskey. Damn you BT! Hawaii is in the US too you know. Send some our way. Oh well, I enjoyed it anyway.

Had my first taste of Saz 18 tonight. Cracked the sample bottle and the nose was amazing. The first sip I had was hot, almost too hot. After that though it was just straight up good rye whiskey. Damn you BT! Hawaii is in the US too you know. Send some our way. Oh well, I enjoyed it anyway.

My rankings end up:

Jeff 10 NCF

HW DR

WTR 101

Willett 4 Yr

Ritt BIB

Baby Saz

That's a really solid under $40 flight there. I have all of those open except the DR (and my Jeff is not NCF), and they are not only good ryes, but simply good whiskeys. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Happy F'in Birthday to you! Nice one two punch.

It was a nice combo... On the way home I stopped at Devillighter's house and he whipped out a sample of Doug's rye.. All 3 were quite impressive pours!!

y3asa9as.jpg

The wife took me out for my upcoming birthday

Sounds like a perfect night! We are jealous of wife and ryes.

some more rye awesomeness today, cannot believe how much this stuff tastes and smells like LDI

So is that high praise for LDI/MGP? I know I love their stuff!

So is that high praise for LDI/MGP? I know I love their stuff!

I would not quite call it praise or dislike, I just find it very interesting that the early PA style ryes have a very similar profile to LDI/MGP ryes produced today. I put the Old bridgeport side by side with a templeton and the noses were nearly identical.. The palate not so much as the old bottle needs time to stretch its legs..

Not surprising really, the LDI/MGP rye formula was developed about 60 years ago. Of course it was designed to be a flavoring ingredient in blends but in order to sell those blends had to match a taste the customers liked.

I remember reading somewhere there were two major styles of PA rye (east and west) - perhaps the Monongahela style is more like LDI and the eastern style is more akin to dusty OO.

Just opened a bottle HW 16 year old. Really nice nose. Having two ways in glencairn glass and in a manhattan.

Ted

Starting off with one of my favorite ryes, V21.
I finished off the night with a stellar pour of some Hirsch 25 that a more than decent fellow hooked me up with.I have to agree the V21 is just a great pour,too bad that one is no longer around either.

Shortly before midnight and continuing to the present hour, I enjoy that ole familiar spirit which has become my tradition for this time each year: Sazarac 18

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!