The Great Pappy Heist

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think we all knew it would come to this. Apparently $26,000 worth of Pappy 20 has been stolen from the distillery. Chain Whip posted this link to the story in another thread: http://www.state-journal.com/local%20news/2013/10/16/more-than-26k-in-rare-bourbon-stolen-from-buffalo-trace-distillery

If anybody here has a subscription, could that person give us a summary? Or has anybody been able to find information on another news site?

Is it confirmed that it is all Pappy 20?

I think so. A Twitter pal just posted this link to a short story about it on the WHAS website that specifically states that it was the 20. http://www.whas.com/articles/84-whas-local-news-283307/rare-bourbon-stolen-from-ky-distillery-11744177/

Update: According to that article, it took place over months. I really need to read more carefully.

Edited by Josh

I would think they would keep very keen eye on this and that this would not be able to happen. Then again I have seen some crazy things.

Best regards, Tony

Hey at least they left the rye alone!

Draining the tank would be more like the Breaking Bad train heist than a simple bottle grab.

They stole 9 bottles on Rye as well. And the article contained this gem: "Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is aged for 13 years and is worth about $25 a bottle."

"Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is probably old enough to vote and is worth about 5x retail price per bottle."

Fixed that for them.

I would like to say that the timing of this is suspect. Right before release time. Get people all crazy trying to get the famous pappy that was stolen? Who knows? I sure don't but it sounds suspicious. I'm sure the 50 or so people with access could be narrowed down pretty quick. Call me cynical or whatever. Maybe did happen but according to the article they don't seem to confident of figuring it out.

They'll catch the perp, get back the product, and release Pappy Recovered to thunderous applause and rave reviews.

They'll catch the perp, get back the product, and release Pappy Recovered to thunderous applause and rave reviews.

Crap Sean. Don't give them any ideas. Maybe the employee can work for WT and be “Forgivenâ€

Draining the tank would be more like the Breaking Bad train heist than a simple bottle grab.

Spoiler alert please! =]b

I just started watching the show (yes, I recognize my Luddite online appearance here)

Spoiler alert please! =]b

I just started watching the show (yes, I recognize my Luddite online appearance here)

Well, you're quite a bit away from encountering this reference. An excellent episode, but none of the substantive twists or turns are revealed from that reference. Enjoy the experience! I wish I could watch it all over again for the first time.

Well, you're quite a bit away from encountering this reference. An excellent episode, but none of the substantive twists or turns are revealed from that reference. Enjoy the experience! I wish I could watch it all over again for the first time.

Just giving you a hard time - no worries man ;-)

I'm about halfway through the second season - I'm tempted to look up the color charts but have been holding off due to potential spoilers in those charts.

Honestly, this heist mystery sounds like it needs some attention from Raylan Givens :-)

I thought for sure someone had finally figured out how to accomplish the caper we have all daydreamed about. While standing in the Small Bottling house on our 3rd tour of the Trace and staring at the glass case wondering..."I wonder if the case and contents could fit in my trunk".

I would like to say that the timing of this is suspect. Right before release time. Get people all crazy trying to get the famous pappy that was stolen? Who knows? I sure don't but it sounds suspicious. I'm sure the 50 or so people with access could be narrowed down pretty quick. Call me cynical or whatever. Maybe did happen but according to the article they don't seem to confident of figuring it out.

Most likely they kept shipping till they hit 0 left, then realized X more cases yet to ship. You're assuming they count the stuff that frequently, which it appears they did not.

Most likely they kept shipping till they hit 0 left, then realized X more cases yet to ship. You're assuming they count the stuff that frequently, which it appears they did not.

Or the people who were supposed to be keeping track of it were in on the theft.

I believe there is a good chance the thieves will get caught. We all know that people flip this stuff. It mostly flies under the radar because no one person sells many at once. The people that stole this will have a posse of all the people from the Party Source line and other stores looking for them.

Yeah. I realize I probably sound like some crackpot. ;-)

From the article, it sounds like someone shorted a bunch of cases by 3 bottles each. Definitely an inside deal.

The article mentions Craigslist and eBay as possible places for resale. Someone should tell the deputies to head over to Facebook too if they're looking for a lead.

Wade?

Kind of like breaking into the Louvre and stealing the Mona Lisa, no? How will they ever move this? Pappy 20 all over BX and some ISP tracing should do it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!