The Great Pappy Heist

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So Package and More Liquors decided to play detectives, but helped only in muddying the name of a guy who was unrelated to the theft? Nice work.

Edited by LostBottle

Still shaking my head as to why anyone who had a "collection" would think it's legal to sell it TO a store. Also baffled why he would try and sell to a store he clearly didn't buy from. Random.

There are numerous stores out there that buy Pappy to sell at huge markup. Some even advertise the fact. In an era of craziness for Pappy, it's not really that strange. In fact, these days, nothing would surprise me.

Edited by LostBottle

There are numerous stores out there that buy Pappy to sell at huge markup. Some even advertise the fact. In an era of craziness for Pappy, it's not really that strange. In fact, these days, nothing would surprise me.

All i can guess is some guy in his 40-50's, bought a few bottles back when it was accessible...finds out it's worth 5-10x what he paid. Doesn't take the time to research laws. Story i have heard is the guy pictured was clueless as hell and now spending whatever he may have profited on with a lawyer. Next time just drink it!

Even if they laser code the bottles, could they really trace it? are the codes matched to boxes/pallets etc.

All i can guess is some guy in his 40-50's, bought a few bottles back when it was accessible...finds out it's worth 5-10x what he paid. Doesn't take the time to research laws. Story i have heard is the guy pictured was clueless as hell and now spending whatever he may have profited on with a lawyer. Next time just drink it!

Even if they laser code the bottles, could they really trace it? are the codes matched to boxes/pallets etc.

Laser codes are date/time/bottling line. Cases are most likely sequential bottles, pallets sequential cases. So yeah, they could determine what's missing with pretty high confidence.

So Package and More Liquors decided to play detectives, but helped only in muddying the name of a guy who was unrelated to the theft? Nice work.

There is no resolution at present as to whether the guy who appeared at P&M is or is not involved in the theft. However, it would have been irresponsible of the folks at the store not to have reported what happened to law enforcement authorities. Any possible lead needs to be checked out, and this was certainly a good lead. Usually thieves go to pawnshops to unload their stolen goods. In this case they may have decided to try a liquor store instead. And, I doubt that the thief had any substantial knowledge of KY ABC laws forbidding the purchase of spirits from private individuals. My only regret is that they weren't able to keep the guy there long enough to activate the silent alarm and have the police arrive to check him out.

I'm guessing you know this person.

We turned our film over to the authorities. They decided to release the footage to get the publics help with id'ing the guy. I nor the franklin county sheriff named him a suspect.

I was contacted by tom Fischer and we discussed it for his podcast. Simple as that.

Really, I don't get that comment at all. Why WOULDN'T you turn over this footage. Even if he wasn't involved how dumb can you be to try and sell this unsolicited to a liquor store you don't know? Muddying his name, ha.

Nope, wrong part of the country. Nice detective work once again.

I've been called worse by other members of the peanut gallery.

Nope, wrong part of the country. Nice detective work once again.

37 years experience in the law enforcement/legal community (investigator, prosecutor, trial judge) makes me think Eric made the right call.

*edit

Just to clarify, is the above comment meaning he made the right call about turning the guy in, or the right call when he said I must know him?

Edited by LostBottle

So Bourbonblog.com used my picture of Pappy 20 for their latest update on the story. The footer on the blog says that all material on the blog is copyrighted by Bourbonblog unless otherwise stated. Of course, no credit to the picture or link to my blog, or anything. I wrote a comment saying as much and asking that credit be cited where credit is due. The comment was deleted.

I guess it's my fault for not putting some sort of stamp on my pic? I guess any content pushed out into internet-land is just free content for anyone to reuse however they see fit? I know I'm raising issues beyond the subject of this thread, so I understand if the post is moved, but I wanted to air my grievance with Bourbonblog here.

I'm resisting posting the link to the offending blog here because I don't want to send traffic his way, but I suppose it's central to the post, so here: http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2013/10/27/bardstown-high-principal-identified-as-man-in-pappy-surveillance-video/

That bottle of Pappy sits in front of my condo kitchen, seen here: http://whiskeywonka.com/2011/01/30/pappy-van-winkles-family-reserve-20-year-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey/

I don't need a written acknowledgement, just a link from the picture to the blog would suffice. Not that I'm actively trying to steer people to my blog; obviously I'm not all that active recently, it just seems like common courtesy to me. I'm not trying to compete with the guy, just would appreciate some credit for my picture.

I haven't heard the nicest things written or spoken about the Bourbonblog guy, Tom Fischer, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

So Bourbonblog.com used my picture of Pappy 20 for their latest update on the story. The footer on the blog says that all material on the blog is copyrighted by Bourbonblog unless otherwise stated. Of course, no credit to the picture or link to my blog, or anything. I wrote a comment saying as much and asking that credit be cited where credit is due. The comment was deleted.

I guess it's my fault for not putting some sort of stamp on my pic? I guess any content pushed out into internet-land is just free content for anyone to reuse however they see fit? I know I'm raising issues beyond the subject of this thread, so I understand if the post is moved, but I wanted to air my grievance with Bourbonblog here.

I'm resisting posting the link to the offending blog here because I don't want to send traffic his way, but I suppose it's central to the post, so here: http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2013/10/27/bardstown-high-principal-identified-as-man-in-pappy-surveillance-video/

That bottle of Pappy sits in front of my condo kitchen, seen here: http://whiskeywonka.com/2011/01/30/pappy-van-winkles-family-reserve-20-year-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey/

I don't need a written acknowledgement, just a link from the picture to the blog would suffice. Not that I'm actively trying to steer people to my blog; obviously I'm not all that active recently, it just seems like common courtesy to me. I'm not trying to compete with the guy, just would appreciate some credit for my picture.

I haven't heard the nicest things written or spoken about the Bourbonblog guy, Tom Fischer, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

I've never met Tom in person, but his behavior in this forum when he was active was pretty annoying to me and some other members too.

It seems that he has changed the photo.

All I know is that his blog blows. He will sing the praises of any ole swill. I also cant abide his incessant capitalization of the word YOU. :P Glad he changed the photo at least.

All I know is that his blog blows. He will sing the praises of any ole swill. I also cant abide his incessant capitalization of the word YOU. :P Glad he changed the photo at least.

I'm with you Sean. He is driving me nuts with the #pappygate tweets. I feel bad for that principal if he was just looking to offload his personal collection. Who knows if he did it. I don't really care personally. It was an interesting story now I cringe every time someone asks me about it. Especially people that don't even drink bourbon but heard of the theft. I hope this matter gets closed up soon or is forgotten.

While I understand that there is not a lot of information about this guy at this point, I am surprised that none of the articles even acknowledge that it would be difficult for him to perform the initial theft of the bottles since he presumably does not moonlight as a warehouse worker at Buffalo Trace. At worst the guy would be charged with possession of stolen property, which above $10k is a Class C Felony, if he were indeed in possession of some of the stolen goods. Nothing to sneeze at certainly, but he was unlikely to be the initial perpetrator of the theft, something that seems worth mentioning in the article.

Multiple articles quote his lawyer as saying as much regarding access to the warehouses at BT.

To me, the comical part is the 180 degree difference between what the witnesses at the store claim to have heard and what he claims to have said.

Someone's a big old fibber here.

It looks like the photo has been replaced.
It seems that he has changed the photo.

Indeed he has. My lawyer's worth every penny. Every penny!

Multiple articles quote his lawyer as saying as much regarding access to the warehouses at BT.

To me, the comical part is the 180 degree difference between what the witnesses at the store claim to have heard and what he claims to have said.

Someone's a big old fibber here.

We have 10-15 people come in daily asking for PVW. Why would we call out one particular person?

Common sense makes finding the fibber easier in this situation, no? :)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!