The Great Pappy Heist

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This will probably just get people even more crazy about tracking these down and paying more since there will be less to go around.

I thought for sure someone had finally figured out how to accomplish the caper we have all daydreamed about. While standing in the Small Bottling house on our 3rd tour of the Trace and staring at the glass case wondering..."I wonder if the case and contents could fit in my trunk".

Ha, I may have had that exact thought last year when I had my tour of the distillery ;)

The guys who stole this would have to be crazy to try and move this by the bottle in the US. Their smartest move would be getting it out of the country in one shipment. Out of the country would be a quick profit. If you had a willing partner/partners in a bar or restaurant and were willing to wait for your profits, I think it would be virtually untraceable, but it would take a long time to go through that many bottles.

I will say though, this whole thing reeks of publicity stunt. Something that sought after, I find it hard to believe BT would not have that under lock and key. There is no way they were this naive to think someone, even one of their own wouldn't try and steal this stuff. Definitely makes you scratch your head.

I will say though, this whole thing reeks of publicity stunt.

Since it's being investigated by the police it's not a publicity stunt.

Agreed, but it's just so crazy that they could be so naive with that stuff. You would think there would be a daily count and then it would get locked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I will say though, this whole thing reeks of publicity stunt. Something that sought after, I find it hard to believe BT would not have that under lock and key. There is no way they were this naive to think someone, even one of their own wouldn't try and steal this stuff. Definitely makes you scratch your head.

Come on now...REALLY...publicity stunt???...SURELY YOU JEST. Employee theft happens, 71,095 apprehended in 23 major retailer operations in 2012 alone, http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/4657-employee-theft-rising.html

I agree that, on one hand, it is great publicity for Pappy. Hell, they couldn't have thought of a better way to add to the mystery of the elusive nectar.

As for the distillery (BT), not so much. :blush: They appear to have internally "lost" about 1% of the annual release.

In the end, JVW will come out smelling like a rose (once again). :grin:

As I said above agreed, poor choice of words, just dumbfounded by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you work there, its probably not that hard to slip a case (or two) out a day. That is the most likely scenario (with two or more conspirators working together).

They stole 9 bottles on Rye as well. And the article contained this gem: "Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is aged for 13 years and is worth about $25 a bottle."

The guys who stole this would have to be crazy to try and move this by the bottle in the US. Their smartest move would be getting it out of the country in one shipment. Out of the country would be a quick profit. If you had a willing partner/partners in a bar or restaurant and were willing to wait for your profits, I think it would be virtually untraceable, but it would take a long time to go through that many bottles.

This is assuming they actually want to flip it it. It may not be quite worth the hype, but I would be pretty happy having about 7 2oz pours of PVW 20 and 1 of the rye every month for the next 28 years. I'd even have a couple bottles of the PVW 20 left over for sharing.

Latest article i just read on it comments on the thieves "removing cases from the interior", so that inventory counts wouldn't spot the issue. I'm guessing there's a few distilleries rapidly changing their cycle count practices this week.

If you work there, its probably not that hard to slip a case (or two) out a day. That is the most likely scenario (with two or more conspirators working together).

One of the downfalls of 3 pack cases. They can easily be concealed in a large purse/backpack or coat. I would imagine this happened over a number of months. a case every few days. Chances are good that almost all of it has already been sold off. If the employee is still sitting on it, then they deserve to get caught.

It is very ironic that this info hit the press just before the release. Not that they needed more fuel for the hype machine.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that whoever was responsible for the theft deserves to get caught even if it hasn't been sold off because they stole it. Whoever bought it or will buy it also deserves to be caught and put in jail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I predict that this will replace the pre-pro rye theft thread as most re-posted and merged topic.

Edited by callmeox

It is very ironic that this info hit the press just before the release. Not that they needed more fuel for the hype machine.

It makes perfect sense to me that this happened right before the release. That's the only time BT is sitting on large stocks of Pappy, so that's the only time a theft like this could happen and therefore be discovered.

From what it sounds like, bottles were taken from cases so that it the number of cases were the same, but some were short. Even if those cases are packed up on pallets, it wouldn't be hard to open cases at the top, grab one bottle from a 3 bottle case and tape it back up. There aren't fewer cases and a couple bottles are easy to conceal in a bag or jacket. Take 3 bottles a day for a month and you have 100. This is pretty easy to do. If this is what was done and boxes were taped back up, it would be pretty easy to locate the light boxes and pull fingerprints from either the tape or the other bottles inside.

If this was done on the packaging line with the original tape still on, there's probably only a handful of people that have access to bottles at this stage. Even still, since it's an inside job, there's a really short list of potential culprits.

Given the highly liquid assets (:slappin:) I find it hard to believe that distillery security isn't tight enough to detect employees escaping with finished inventory.

If they really are that loose with security, they need to take some lessons from these guys: http://www.mint.ca/

this amuses me.

someone, or someones, will likely be enjoying a fat daily pour of it for the rest of their lives. or, they will likely be stupid enough to try to sell it and get caught. anyone with more than a bottle or two of this will raise suspicions.

what i would have loved to have read was that someone was dumping and bottling BT as Pappy 20, and dumping Pappy 20 and bottling it as BT, and then buying a truckload of "BT" for themselves. I can imagine all the Pappy-whores buying the BT in a Pappy bottle and still proclaiming it is the best thing in the world as they looked down their snobby noses at everyone around them who drank some pathetic BT. now THAT wouldve been a great story!

anyway, it had to be an inside job with people on multiple levels of the BT heirarchy. no one person couldve done that, and i doubt a few guys doing one particular aspect of the distillery's procedures couldve pulled it off either.

I kinda wish theyd stolen it all, so I wouldnt have to hear all the Pappy this and Pappy that ranting.

what i would have loved to have read was that someone was dumping and bottling BT as Pappy 20, and dumping Pappy 20 and bottling it as BT...

What, you don't think it happens? That would partially explain all the talk of "batch variation" :lol:

If Wild Turkey can make the kind of mistakes that result in "forgiven" .... :slappin:

Maybe they can rewind one of the many cameras around the distillery -- like this one. Or maybe not.

If they did that and caught the (alleged) perpetrator(s) there would be no story to fuel the hype that is Pappy.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!