The Great Pappy Heist

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good thing he was ratted out.

So if someone walks into a liquor store and tries to sell bottles of pappy to them in the local area of a major theft, what exactly should the store do?

So if someone walks into a liquor store and tries to sell bottles of pappy to them in the local area of a major theft, what exactly should the store do?

Mind their own fucking business.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think that anyone has quoted the guy offering to sell any PVW to the store and publicly he has denied it. If I'm not mistaken the guy(s) from the liquor store said he was talking about his PVW collection and it seemed suspicious. Hardly, an indicator that he was involved with the obviously inside robbery at the local distillery.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think that anyone has quoted the guy offering to sell any PVW to the store and publicly he has denied it. If I'm not mistaken the guy(s) from the liquor store said he was talking about his PVW collection and it seemed suspicious. Hardly, an indicator that he was involved with the obviously inside robbery at the local distillery.

I thought based on Eric's comments here that when the guy originally came into attention it was because he walked into Eric's store and tried to sell some PVW. The guy since denied this so it's a his word vs their situation.

Obviously once his personal details came to light he had nothing to do with the theft, but none of that was known when they reported the guy.

Stranger walks into store, offers to unload some PVW --> call the cops and let them sort it out. Seems like a no brainer to me, and not sure how it qualifies as Eric's store playing "amateur detective" or doing anything wrong.

Edited by nd2005

He could have sold his collection online until his hearts content (everyone else seems to be)! The red flag was someone trying to sell and/or talk about their possibly available fantastic Pappy collection just after a major theft (which happened to occur roughly a few stones throws down the road from Eric's store).

He may now be vindicated, but it still looks and smells like a fish. One thing to remember is, that in these small counties, everyone knows someone who works in a distillery. His timing was most questionable (even for a school principal:rolleyes:).

Even if this guy said he had some Pappy for sale (which I don't think Eric has said outright - I thought it was insinuated) that doesn't seem very suspicious to me. Especially, when it's well known that some liquor stores are more than willing to buy Pappy from individuals like this one: http://www.ibuypappy.com/ So, why single this guy out to turn in and investigate? Did he offer up 200 bottles for sale, or just 10...or was he just talking about having a great collection of PVW that would go for "big" money if he decided to sell it? That's all I'm saying.

Edited by smknjoe

He could have sold his collection online until his hearts content (everyone else seems to be)! The red flag was someone trying to sell and/or talk about their possibly available fantastic Pappy collection just after a major theft (which happened to occur roughly a few stones throws down the road from Eric's store).

He may now be vindicated, but it still looks and smells like a fish. One thing to remember is, that in these small counties, everyone knows someone who works in a distillery. His timing was most questionable (even for a school principal:rolleyes:).

Yes, stellar work. Quick! Point them to the Show Your Stash thread where people talk about their huge collections, and even post photos of the evidence! :rolleyes:

CopWannabePermit.jpg

Edited by LostBottle

I agree with LostBottle on this one. My grandfather worked in law enforcement for 20 plus years, and he always said the only interaction he should have with a private citizen is to arrest them. You just can't rely on any information that comes from someone who is not a trained professional. Taking statements from everyone involved in an incident is bad enough, but a private citizen volunteering information is just the worst. He used to track down people who called in tips to crime stoppers, so he could plant drugs on them and arrest them. If a law enforcement professional didn't witness a crime, it didn't happen. He doesn't come try to help you push a broom at your job, so don't "help" him by forcing crap information on him.

All this vigilante justice just has to stop. I would offer to help, but then I would just be part of the problem.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!