2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The only one I've ever left on the shelf is Handy.

If pressed, WLW, then Saz 18, GTS,. But that 2012 ER-17.....man is that good.

Ah hell....buy them all whenever you see them. They have become the new Pappy, as far as allocation

Approximately 2 cases of each of the BTAC made it to the Seattle area for consumer purchase & that may be the last of it. The rest is going to bars/on-premise accounts I've been told (I did see a brand new GTS sitting at the bar @ FX McRory's).

F*ck Young's Market... I hope BT/Sazerac is paying attention to the general displeasure in this state with respect to their distributor.

B/C of the three tier system in many states, you can blame your lovely government for having awful monopolistic distributors.

B/C of the three tier system in many states, you can blame your lovely government for having awful monopolistic distributors.

You're right.

It sucks - we traded one monopoly (our state) for multiple monopolies...

But prices were lower and there was more said product available when the State ran things.

You're right.

It sucks - we traded one monopoly (our state) for multiple monopolies...

But prices were lower and there was more said product available when the State ran things.

Wait, your thinking the allotment that Total Wine got was it for the state? Nothing for BevMo or the smaller stores? That pretty much sucks, guess I won't be getting that final bottle for friends. Dang, I should have bought all those staggs when I had the chance :(

Wait, your thinking the allotment that Total Wine got was it for the state? Nothing for BevMo or the smaller stores? That pretty much sucks, guess I won't be getting that final bottle for friends. Dang, I should have bought all those staggs when I had the chance :(

I'm starting to rethink that because I met a guy that had 5xGTS'13s locally...

The tree tier system in Fla. has produced more selection but significantly higher prices compared to nearby control states. Distributors mostly are interested in products that move big numbers of bottles. These limited editions and short allotments are a major pain in their ass that they would rather not deal with.

They used to be able to deal with several major store chains and keep everyone happy, now they have restaurants and neighborhood bars and small liquor stores demanding products they can't supply.

• 2 weeks later...
Any chances of this still being around in Michigan or am too late? I looked a bit but have had no luck...

It came and went quickly about 3 weeks ago. Might be able to find one randomly, but they were pretty tightly allocated to the high volume stores only in my area.

Pretty much what I thought. I think I was foolishly looking for pappy at the time though I didn't see any BTACs either when I was on the hunt.

Pretty much what I thought. I think I was foolishly looking for pappy at the time though I didn't see any BTACs either when I was on the hunt.

There are a couple stores in the Detroit area that have BTAC left but you either have to know someone or pay a ridiculous price to get it.

You just never know. Last year I found a Saz and THH in December in metro Detroit. Asking never hurts.

I got an interesting text yesterday from a store owner who I had kind of lost contact with over the course of this year. He had secured me a GTS & Saz last year as well as a few other hard-to-finds over the last 6-8 years. I just figured since I had not contacted him in the spring or summer to put my name down, that I would not be in the running for any this year. Much to my surprise, he advised me that a GTS & THH was available if I wanted them. :bigeyes: At $85, I'm wasn't exactly beating a path to the store. However, based on rarity & the fact I've not seen either for less than $99 anywhere else, I didn't have to ​think on it too long. Also, I did not think it too unfair that his price increase from last year was $9 when a lot of others are asking $25 & up over last year.

So, it does pay to develop & maintain such relationships...even though I've been lacking on the latter in this case. I'll have to do better from here on...as things are not going to get any easier to come by for the forseeable future.

I got an interesting text yesterday from a store owner who I had kind of lost contact with over the course of this year. He had secured me a GTS & Saz last year as well as a few other hard-to-finds over the last 6-8 years. I just figured since I had not contacted him in the spring or summer to put my name down, that I would not be in the running for any this year. Much to my surprise, he advised me that a GTS & THH was available if I wanted them. :bigeyes: At $85, I'm wasn't exactly beating a path to the store. However, based on rarity & the fact I've not seen either for less than $99 anywhere else, I didn't have to ​think on it too long. Also, I did not think it too unfair that his price increase from last year was $9 when a lot of others are asking $25 & up over last year.

So, it does pay to develop & maintain such relationships...even though I've been lacking on the latter in this case. I'll have to do better from here on...as things are not going to get any easier to come by for the forseeable future.

P.S. Forgot to add the appropriate THANK YOU to a fellow forum member for advising & nudging me toward the right decision on the above purchase. Sometimes, you need a helping hand. :toast:

I randomly found 2 2013 GTS bottles just sitting on the shelf at a local store yesterday for $86 (before our crazy WA taxes) and picked both up. They are a large chain but just got their allotment this last Friday so apparently it's still rolling out here in WA. I already have my bottles but had several friends who wanted a bottle so this was a nice find.

Now if only a Saz 18 and/or THH could drop into my lap the same way...

Shared a drink of 2013 GTS with the people from my vendor who normally will save special bottles for me and did so with this. This was $74.99 and no hassle. It was really fun.

Although not a SBS, 2012 definitely beat this completely even now after a second big pour. The 2012 GTS is giving me a wow every time I drink it and I had been drinking it daily in this past week.

Edit: follow up with a big pour of 2012 GTS. Definitely to me, much more enjoyable. Both very good though.

Edited by tigerlam92

Shared a drink of 2013 GTS with the people from my vendor who normally will save special bottles for me and did so with this. This was $74.99 and no hassle. It was really fun.

Although not a SBS, 2012 definitely beat this completely even now after a second big pour. The 2012 GTS is giving me a wow every time I drink it and I had been drinking it daily in this past week.

Edit: follow up with a big pour of 2012 GTS. Definitely to me, much more enjoyable. Both very good though.

I agree, I did a SBS with 2012 and 2013 and to me the 2012 was much better. The only other 2013 BTAC I was able to get this year is the WLW so hoping it is more impressive

How long has the 2013 been open in relation to the 2012? I find that Stagg gains complexity with a little airtime.

I don't have anymore of the 2012 GTS as all my bottles were polished off, but I find the 2013 to be really terrific. I kinda dig the slightly lower proof and I'm looking forward to it getting some more air time. Nothing about this year's made me deviate from my belief that GTS is my favorite release each year (though the FRLESmB is gaining steam).

I agree with the above posts and find the 12 to be better than the 13 and I've had the 13 open for several weeks now.

I'm really enjoying this years Stagg, I also liked last years It's all good at this level. I found the Stagg Jr to be rather awkward

Here's an odd thought I came across-

while consuming some of the OFBB '13, In flavor profile it strikes me as a better Stagg Jr than the Stagg Jr

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.