2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did not like the WLW, it is really hot and dry and the sweetness that I get from wheaters is blown out by the heat. It took me a while but I finally found a 2013 Handy, I don't know if it is in short supply this year? But usually that stuff lingers forever around here ( I bought 3 handys this year and realized I had a 2011,2012,2013), I have not opened it yet as I have a 2011 open that is haunting me

I don't mean to speak for him, but I think this is more or less what MOKD thought of it as well. It took me a full week of daily tastes to get my head around GTS, but I enjoyed the WLW right out of the bottle. Different strokes.

Pretty much got it covered here!

Pretty much got it covered here!

Given how little of it seemed to get bottled (as in, they didn't ship 5x the normal amount and get desperate), maybe just an off year for the barrels they had maturing?

Eh not nec bc as Josh already noted he loves it.

Could just be an off yr for me!

I'd be happy to destroy that awful bottle of WLW you have then. For a small fee of course ;)

found a Handy Saz today, hidden on the back of the shelf so I got at least one BTAC this year.

Tried this years ER17 today, boy that one is dangerous from the drink ability standpoint. You could accidentally drink half the bottle in one sitting if you're not careful. Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried this years ER17 today, boy that one is dangerous from the drink ability standpoint. You could accidentally drink half the bottle in one sitting if you're not careful. Wow!

I absolutely agree. Probably just about the most flavorful 90-proofer out there, and much less woody than most of the EC18s I've had. I missed last year's but I really enjoyed 2011. I think maybe the 2011 was a bit more complex than the 2013. I would LOVE to try this one at 100°. I think it would really sing.

Wish I could find the ER17 or Sazerac 18... Those are the two that are eluding me.. I think the shipments are done here!!

Wish I could find the ER17 or Sazerac 18... Those are the two that are eluding me.. I think the shipments are done here!!

Those are the only two I have the funds saved for at this time. hoping to find them anyway

I did not like the WLW, it is really hot and dry and the sweetness that I get from wheaters is blown out by the heat. It took me a while but I finally found a 2013 Handy, I don't know if it is in short supply this year? But usually that stuff lingers forever around here ( I bought 3 handys this year and realized I had a 2011,2012,2013), I have not opened it yet as I have a 2011 open that is haunting me

I'm rather new to this area, but the Handy "hate" is something I've yet to grasp. THH is a damn fine whiskey. I think it stands confidently among its BTAC brethren. I know the compulsion here is to rank things, but it seems people go out of their way to avoid the THH. Which is fine by me, because I love it. I just think it deserves a bit more respect.

I did not like the WLW, it is really hot and dry and the sweetness that I get from wheaters is blown out by the heat.

I agree, the 2013 is hotter and drier than the 2012 and certainly doesn't hold a candle to the 2011.

As a consolation, I do think the finish on this year's bottle is pretty good, though.

Might try vatting some with a small amount of Weller 12, so their respective strengths can compliment each other. Tame the heat and bring out the sweet. :lol:

Was on vacation in Myrtle Beach this past week and saw Stagg for 89.00 and WLW for 99.00. I passed on both! Thomas

Was on vacation in Myrtle Beach this past week and saw Stagg for 89.00 and WLW for 99.00. I passed on both! Thomas

I absolutely agree. Probably just about the most flavorful 90-proofer out there, and much less woody than most of the EC18s I've had. I missed last year's but I really enjoyed 2011. I think maybe the 2011 was a bit more complex than the 2013. I would LOVE to try this one at 100°. I think it would really sing.

Add a little Stagg!

He writes that book with a dartboard.

Yet, I would argue, his palate seems on par with the majority of this board when it comes to bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.