2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hear, hear, I second Eric's comment, when the passing fads fade some marketing types may discover their formerly loyal customers have moved on to other brands.

Hear, hear, I second Eric's comment, when the passing fads fade some marketing types may discover their formerly loyal customers have moved on to other brands.

FYI, BTAC's have hit Wisconsin.

Don't get trampled by the flippers as they descend en masse on your local stores.

Don't get trampled by the flippers as they descend en masse on your local stores.

The store was quiet when I was there, but then again, it was noon and I don't think the word's out. Regardless, I plan to drink mine.

TPS sent out an email today saying its allocation will be down drastically from last year and that this year's festivities will begin at 8:00am Sat 12th (tomorrow) morning.

Interested if anyone goes tomorrow how soon the line starts (I'm betting 1:30am) and when supplies are exhausted (betting 8:21am).

It looks like the BTAC ship landed today in more of KY. There is a little store that I was on the list for who got their allotment today and I was able to have a coworker who was in town swing by and grab my bottle of WLW (it was supposed to be stagg but whatever). It sounded like most of the places there received theres today. Good luck to all of those in KY! Sounds like we are still on board for an early November arrival here in WA.

Edited by MtnDew

The store was quiet when I was there, but then again, it was noon and I don't think the word's out. Regardless, I plan to drink mine.

I think Scott's point is that the word is now out. Because somebody posted availability on SB. It's a fine community but there are a lot of ears pressed to our wall.

::: note to the GA members, if you see something cool PM me. Don't post on here. And by god don't post the name of the store.

Carry on

Can anyone explain to me how Sazerac 18 came into existence? It is an oddball in the BT stable, being the only non-BT juice sold under their name, as far as I am aware.

Can anyone explain to me how Sazerac 18 came into existence? It is an oddball in the BT stable, being the only non-BT juice sold under their name, as far as I am aware.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?15846-Sazerac-Rye-mashbill

Read this thread, particularly starting at the bottom of page two and on. Short answer, due to the glut, somebody (probably UDV, predecessor to Diageo) produced some rye that never got bottled due to faltering demand, so it just kept aging. At some point, through acquisitions and shuffling, it ended up in Sazerac's portfolio. They decided to bottle some of it and sell it at 18 years old, eventually tanking the remainder to arrest the aging process.

Virtually every super-aged rye on the marked (with the exception of HH's Rittenhouse 21s, 23s, and 25s) came from the same source. Even the HH shares a similar story-- HH produced it on contract and later bought it back from the customer due to lack of demand, if I'm not mistaken.

I think Scott's point is that the word is now out. Because somebody posted availability on SB. It's a fine community but there are a lot of ears pressed to our wall.

::: note to the GA members, if you see something cool PM me. Don't post on here. And by god don't post the name of the store.

Carry on

I'm such a noob I didn't really realize what I got when I picked them up. This time a year ago I was still 100% drinking on the dark side so was not even aware of the feeding frenzy the releases bring on and if you drink much scotch you get use to hihger prices. That is if you wnat something that tastes good.

I did notice tonight that my Stagg, Handy & ER17 appear to be the exact same bottle. Is this normal?

I did notice tonight that my Stagg, Handy & ER17 appear to be the exact same bottle. Is this normal?

I know the bigger package stores got more than that. Probably several times more. But you never see it. It goes right from the loading dock to someone's car.

I know of a local GA store that did that with Pappy last year. His whole allocation went in the trunk and was auctioned at a local ducks unlimited event. Hard to blame him though, he's on the Pappy website as a retailer, he said he gets 500 calls a day about it and he's flat tired of it. Then again, I do have to say, I haven't really patronized his store since. Plus if the website bothers him that much, he could probably get his name off of it. Double edged sword I guess.

BTAC is about to land in Ontario. It has appeared on-line, but with no availability. Could not have already sold out province wide, now could it?

Prices seem fairly reasonable, compared to Alta prices from last year, at about a buck, give or take a few pennies.

My local store in Edmonton put GTS at $200 to see if it would sell: it did.

Joe

BTAC is about to land in Ontario. It has appeared on-line, but with no availability. Could not have already sold out province wide, now could it?

Prices seem fairly reasonable, compared to Alta prices from last year, at about a buck, give or take a few pennies.

My local store in Edmonton put GTS at $200 to see if it would sell: it did.

Joe

The quantities are so low, the fewer people that know about this, the better.;)

The prices will actually be 20% higher than what is showing at the moment.

The quantities are so low, the fewer people that know about this, the better.;)

The prices will actually be 20% higher than what is showing at the moment.

I am going to be in Toronto and Oshawa this coming week. Any recommendations for good places to bottle shop? PM if you do.

I am going to be in Toronto and Oshawa this coming week. Any recommendations for good places to bottle shop? PM if you do.

At the risk of a big tangent to this thread ... there are no secret bottle shops - no dusty hunting - in Ontario generally or Toronto in particular. All liquor is sold at government monopoly shops (LCBO) but there are four in Toronto that usually stock a wider variety of bottles:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=10

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=217

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=452

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=355

The first one listed is a great one to visit as a tourist - it is a converted old rail station and quite interesting architecturally speaking. My office is across the street, so if you do decide to visit drop me a PM and we may be able to meet up.

You are not likely to find anything that isn't available in the USA, but if you do, be prepared to pay huge premiums over what you are used to. The possible exceptions being the high-end quality Canadian whiskies (lot no 40, Wiser's legacy, etc).

Edited by portwood

At the risk of a big tangent to this thread ... there are no secret bottle shops - no dusty hunting - in Ontario generally or Toronto in particular. All liquor is sold at government monopoly shops (LCBO) but there are four in Toronto that usually stock a wider variety of bottles:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=10

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=217

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=452

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/storeinfo.jsp?language=EN&STORE=355

The first one listed is a great one to visit as a tourist - it is a converted old rail station and quite interesting architecturally speaking. My office is across the street, so if you do decide to visit drop me a PM and we may be able to meet up.

You are not likely to find anything that isn't available in the USA, but if you do, be prepared to pay huge premiums over what you are used to. The possible exceptions being the high-end quality Canadian whiskies (lot no 40, Wiser's legacy, etc).

Thanks! I am in the area on business at least once a year but am usually cigar hunting not bottle hunting.

Thanks! I am in the area on business at least once a year but am usually cigar hunting not bottle hunting.

Dominican shopping, I'm sure ;)

Blah.. I would never buy in Canada due to the high taxes... there are much better venders at your fingertips with the internet. Edited by KCJason1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.