2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So those that are buying, are you finding it on the shelf? Did you have it set aside by your retailer? Did your retailer hold a raffle?

Yep. I got one emailer from a Louisville store saying their allocation was going on sale at 6pm.

I'm here and number twelve in line. Been here two hours.

Hidden
I'm here and number twelve in line. Been here two hours.

Wow. "A" for effort....but my time is worth more to me than a bottle.

Also on the fact sheet for the Saz 18, it says the initial distillation occurred in 1985, but then they don't list the actual age at the bottom of the sheet like they did with all of the other releases. Was it taken out at 18 and been sitting around for 10 years waiting to be bottled?
Here you go. http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2008/01/10/inside-scoop-sazerac-rye-18-year-old/

And you walked with the Sazerac 18. The time you put in paid off.

Only two bottles of Weller in the whole store? Wish I had known before I got in line.

You fellas have some moxie, I grow impatient if the local has two people in line ahead of me.

So those that are buying, are you finding it on the shelf? Did you have it set aside by your retailer? Did your retailer hold a raffle?

Kind of sad, but that's how it is around here now. I hit six stores today by four o'clock....and I put in a days work.

You fellas have some moxie, I grow impatient if the local has two people in line ahead of me.

And you walked with the Sazerac 18. The time you put in paid off.

Only two bottles of Weller in the whole store? Wish I had known before I got in line.

The allocations in KY were "lower than previous years except for stagg".

My theory is that every ritzy bar now has the full btac front and center. Those bottles are allocated to on premise by the distributor or Sazarac. More than likely Sazarac since it amounts to free advertising. Less for stores and Johnny Public.

Yep, heard the same thing about 4Roses.

It will be interesting to see how long people are willing to pay through the nose for pours. I gotta think all these places will be gouging.

I hear artisinal GIN is the next big thing..............(joke, hope)

Same here. It'd take something far more important than whiskey to get me to wait two hours in line.

It was better than being in the office. Always fun chatting with fellow whiskey geeks.

My theory is that every ritzy bar now has the full btac front and center. Those bottles are allocated to on premise by the distributor or Sazarac. More than likely Sazarac since it amounts to free advertising. Less for stores and Johnny Public.

It's an interesting approach to send it mostly to bars. I get it on one level:

If an individual buys a bottle, they'll share it with maybe 5 of their friends before it's all gone, making just a handful of new followers of the brand. Whereas, if a bar gets it, 20 people will get a taste, and the brand's following will grow much more quickly.

That math makes sense on its face. However, what's the point of developing that following, if it's not to sell more bottles to the individual followers? I suppose an argument could be made about the fact that these are limited releases, so they'll always have more demand than supply, in which case my argument falls apart, b/c they're selling all of it whether they sell to bars or to individuals.

I dunno. Just thinking out loud here.

It's an interesting approach to send it mostly to bars. I get it on one level:

If an individual buys a bottle, they'll share it with maybe 5 of their friends before it's all gone, making just a handful of new followers of the brand. Whereas, if a bar gets it, 20 people will get a taste, and the brand's following will grow much more quickly.

That math makes sense on its face. However, what's the point of developing that following, if it's not to sell more bottles to the individual followers? I suppose an argument could be made about the fact that these are limited releases, so they'll always have more demand than supply, in which case my argument falls apart, b/c they're selling all of it whether they sell to bars or to individuals.

I dunno. Just thinking out loud here.

Yeah, maybe they are looking for a coattail or trickle down effect. You can't get Pappy but try (fill in the blank). Now, you can't get (fill in the blank) so try (another fill in the blank). Eventually, all but a few will be buying whatever their low end stuff is (which they will have marked up due to increased demand) and feel lucky that they could get it.

Spoke to Liquor Barn in Lexington today. BTAC (ER17, Weller, Saz18, Stagg) came and went yesterday to long lines. Stores here in Georgia are still waiting.

I think from the producer's perspective (assuming a more cynical position) having your product in exclusive bars/restaurants is much more appealing than selling bottles at retail. The end goal is to always sell everything you can, and as has been mentioned above the BTAC will always sell completely through. So what other goal can be accomplished from this 100% depletion of the supply? In this case it's advertising/exclusivity/luxury/etc. Don't forget it's the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.

Oh, you enjoyed ER17 but can't find a bottle? Maybe you'd like Eagle Rare 10?

No Sazerac 18 at your local retailer, but there's this other Sazerac rye...

George T. Stagg was really impressive, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere! Hey, here's something called Stagg Jr.

William Larue Weller was the best whiskey I've ever had. What's this Old Weller Antique all about?

At the bar the other night we had these great whiskeys from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, but I don't think I've ever had the Buffalo Trace bourbon from the ABC. Maybe we should get a botle?

I completely agree with your cynicism. This concept might just work if any of the above were actually available in a bar. I've seen Pappy once in Las Vegas last January. None of the others were to be had. ER17 to ER10 - yes, ok, I do like 10 and keep it on hand. ER17 happens to be my obsession and I have lookouts in several states. Finally, this is the very reason I have come to like Old Scout so much. It is as good or better than Pappy and Stagg. Only ER17 gives it competition. And with some effort it is available. Finally, FWIW Smooth Ambler (and the byzantine distribution system our glorious federal government has established) has been chaotic about distribution so I collect all I can afford when I find it.

I completely agree with your cynicism. This concept might just work if any of the above were actually available in a bar. I've seen Pappy once in Las Vegas last January. None of the others were to be had. ER17 to ER10 - yes, ok, I do like 10 and keep it on hand. ER17 happens to be my obsession and I have lookouts in several states. Finally, this is the very reason I have come to like Old Scout so much. It is as good or better than Pappy and Stagg. Only ER17 gives it competition. And with some effort it is available. Finally, FWIW Smooth Ambler (and the byzantine distribution system our glorious federal government has established) has been chaotic about distribution so I collect all I can afford when I find it.

This is in kentucky but I can name 40 bars that have the entire collection and almost all the van winkle products on the shelf most of the time. I am sure some cross promotion with products occurs for those bars to get bottles. For example, the bar must carry BT, ER, Blantons, and Elmer T Lee to get pappy. Or they must use benchmark and taaka for well drinks.

Lots of those bars buy/trade bottles with individuals too, to get or maintain those collections. Although I'm sure same as you guys that a good portion is allocated to them.

Brands are built "on premise" I hear this all the time from the people representing "brands"

I'm one of the biggest restaurant account in Ga and I got 5-6 total BATC last year and 4 pappy's. I know the bigger package stores got more than that. Probably several times more. But you never see it. It goes right from the loading dock to someone's car. The restaurants have em displayed with salespeople (bartenders) to discuss what they know. Hell I had a saz 18 sit on my backbar for over 7 months last year. I prolly drank 1/3 of it. And shared a bunch with fellow SBers.

Brands are built "on premise" I hear this all the time from the people representing "brands"

I'm one of the biggest restaurant account in Ga and I got 5-6 total BATC last year and 4 pappy's. I know the bigger package stores got more than that. Probably several times more. But you never see it. It goes right from the loading dock to someone's car. The restaurants have em displayed with salespeople (bartenders) to discuss what they know. Hell I had a saz 18 sit on my backbar for over 7 months last year. I prolly drank 1/3 of it. And shared a bunch with fellow SBers.

A brand might be built in a restaurant but the mortgage, bills and food for the brand are paid for by the guy buying a bottle every other day to consume at home.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.