2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yet, I would argue, his palate seems on par with the majority of this board when it comes to bourbon.

I clumsily stated what I actually meant - He chooses awards with a dartboard. I actually don't have a huge problem with Murray, or at least, I wouldn't single him out as some kind of outlier with whom I frequently disagree.

Actually I liked the dart board comment, Murry is a bit scattered but in an entertaining way. Also, he's the author of my favorite professional whisky writer comment when he said one of the most difficult parts of his job was to invent new whisky scent/flavor terms.

Stuff like 'the faint lingering scent of morning dew on lavender petals' (my words) and the like.

Well, it looks like I'm shut out of BTAC, VW, and FRLE. Retailers told me months ago that our distributor was planning on holding back everything to release at the same time. All the major stores got their allocations today and there was apparently a group of guys that cleared everyone out as soon as the stores opened (at least in the NOLA area). This is definitely a sea change from last year, when BTAC was on the shelves for at least a week. I'm sure all of these bottles will end up on BX toot sweet. I know I need to just get over it, but I'm going to take few minutes to be irked. I suppose all you guys in larger cities have faced this reality for years, but it's just hitting me now in this area.

None so far. Word is that stock should arrive here next month, so we'll see. Would like to land a Weller at least but it sounds like they're harder to find this year. How did you make out this time?

Well, it looks like I'm shut out of BTAC, VW, and FRLE. Retailers told me months ago that our distributor was planning on holding back everything to release at the same time. All the major stores got their allocations today and there was apparently a group of guys that cleared everyone out as soon as the stores opened (at least in the NOLA area). This is definitely a sea change from last year, when BTAC was on the shelves for at least a week. I'm sure all of these bottles will end up on BX toot sweet. I know I need to just get over it, but I'm going to take few minutes to be irked. I suppose all you guys in larger cities have faced this reality for years, but it's just hitting me now in this area.

Approximately 2 cases of each of the BTAC made it to the Seattle area for consumer purchase & that may be the last of it. The rest is going to bars/on-premise accounts I've been told (I did see a brand new GTS sitting at the bar @ FX McRory's).

F*ck Young's Market... I hope BT/Sazerac is paying attention to the general displeasure in this state with respect to their distributor.

Edited by ChainWhip

I'm over it. I'm too stubborn to overpay for the stuff on BX. I feel like I've tasted enough modern trophy bottles to know that they just aren't that much better.

I can forgive all the curious newbies because they are just chasing fads, but the hoarders and the profiteers need to get bent.

Hidden
I'm over it. I'm too stubborn to overpay for the stuff on BX. I feel like I've tasted enough modern trophy bottles to know that they just aren't that much better.

I can forgive all the curious newbies because they are just chasing fads, but the hoarders and the profiteers need to get bent.

Excuse my ignorance, but I assume "BX" is Bourbon Exchange - is that the Facebook group? I went on there once, but saw you had to join/sign up to really look at anything, and I didn't feel like doing it.

I personally have no interest in flipping bottles - any of the rarer stuff I have (not that it's a huge collection) is meant to be consumed eventually by me and, to a lesser extent, my friends. And I really have no interest in acquiring bottles at outrageous prices. But just out of curiosity, how bad is it? Is there really that much rare stuff beyond the current BTAC/VW bottles? Do people just come right out and say I have a bottle of X and I want Y dollars for it, or is it a little more subtle than that?

Was on vacation in Myrtle Beach this past week and saw Stagg for 89.00 and WLW for 99.00. I passed on both! Thomas
Retail is $70.. I would of gladly jumped on those since they are one of the better BTAC.. now if ether were >$100 I would of passed.

I did not like the WLW, it is really hot and dry and the sweetness that I get from wheaters is blown out by the heat. It took me a while but I finally found a 2013 Handy, I don't know if it is in short supply this year? But usually that stuff lingers forever around here ( I bought 3 handys this year and realized I had a 2011,2012,2013), I have not opened it yet as I have a 2011 open that is haunting me

halfway off-topic (maybe worth a new one): did some of you guys cross taste and rate different years' BATC releases? I do have access to 4 thomas h handys and want to grab the best ones obv.

134.8 proof (2007)

132.7 proof (2006)

128.6 proof (2011)

126.9 proof (2010)

should be availble while 2006/2007 are 1.33x the price of 2010/2011.

cheers

Things have definitely gotten a lot tougher in the SF Bay Area as well- the Big Box retailer Bevmo got only a trickle vs. years past, K&L only 1 bottle of Saz 18 for all 3 stores, and they must be one of the higher volume BT dealers in the state if not the country. 4RSmBLE only done via raffle, etc.

Given that total BTAC release hasn't gone down from what I can tell, I think a LOT more is going to bars and restaurants. It's not like a broader selection of retailers are getting any.

halfway off-topic (maybe worth a new one): did some of you guys cross taste and rate different years' BATC releases? I do have access to 4 thomas h handys and want to grab the best ones obv.

134.8 proof (2007)

132.7 proof (2006)

128.6 proof (2011)

126.9 proof (2010)

should be availble while 2006/2007 are 1.33x the price of 2010/2011.

cheers

Stop whatever you're doing and go get the 2006. If you feel like getting the 2011 while you're there, that's a good one, but go get the 2006.

Stop whatever you're doing and go get the 2006. If you feel like getting the 2011 while you're there, that's a good one, but go get the 2006.

Is someone was going to only buy one of these which one would you recommend?

And I'd prefer Handy over Saz 18 personally (although I would love to try some older Saz at a higher proof point!) Thankfully different strokes :) But if I trip over any Saz 18, I'll look out for my friends!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.