2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Eh, predicting where the market would be today back then would've been a risky gamble. Hell, I wish I could've invested a ton more in Apple back when it could be had at 1/10th of what it trades at today. Hindsight is always 50/50. I'm sure Buffalo Trace wishes it could've accurately predicted where we'd be at today in terms of demand.

Too true. Also, there's no assurance that demand will keep up in the future. Look at the cycle of highly peated scotch. It's all a gamble, particularly for these producers that have to look 10-20 years out for their product. Personally, I'm looking forward to the down slope, when I can start picking these up at the local store again, without having to go through a lottery on the one day out of the year that they're available. Sigh.

Too true. Also, there's no assurance that demand will keep up in the future. Look at the cycle of highly peated scotch. It's all a gamble, particularly for these producers that have to look 10-20 years out for their product. Personally, I'm looking forward to the down slope, when I can start picking these up at the local store again, without having to go through a lottery on the one day out of the year that they're available. Sigh.

Don't be so sure we're in a bubble. People thought the French Bordeaux market would pop after the exponential rise in the 80s. Look where it is today. Bourbon could be the same...

Question: the press release says "late September"; Julian van winkle has been saying "November" for the annual Pappy release.

does this mean the two products will be distributed separately with a little more spacing now? I'd love to get the BTAC products without dealing with the PVW crazies...

Question: the press release says "late September"; Julian van winkle has been saying "November" for the annual Pappy release.

does this mean the two products will be distributed separately with a little more spacing now? I'd love to get the BTAC products without dealing with the PVW crazies...

Around Atlanta they typically don't hit at the same time (I've seen BTAC hit in early October, and Pappy in December).

Around Atlanta they typically don't hit at the same time (I've seen BTAC hit in early October, and Pappy in December).

At least the last 2 years they've literally hit in the same shipment here in MI. Had to choose between PVW and WLW last year at one of my stores. And of course as soon as the PVW runs out the store owners start pushing the BTAC on the van winkle hipsters who'd previously never heard of it...

bUMMER, thats a youngin.

Actually, not including the 19 yo releases of WLW, 12 years 1 month is the exact average age of all previously releases bottlings. And since when is 12 years a "young" bourbon?

Yeah, I thought that most of the WLW was around 12yrs. as well. I think that the 2008 and 2009 were 11yr. and the 2007 was 10yr.

Last year was 12.4 and was maybe my favorite whiskey of the year. I'm more "concerned" about the intense jump in proof than about the age for this release. Although I'm trying to keep full faith that it will be a stunner.

Actually, not including the 19 yo releases of WLW, 12 years 1 month is the exact average age of all previously releases bottlings. And since when is 12 years a "young" bourbon?

one can always hope

The first 2013 Stagg seems to have reared its head on BX. Anyone else seen the Collection in their part of the country?

The first 2013 Stagg seems to have reared its head on BX. Anyone else seen the Collection in their part of the country?

Shouldn't BTAC be out by now? I am pretty sure BTAC went on sale in PA last year on September 25th. We haven't even had a glimpse with a review.

All 5 have hit NC. Some guy posted photos probably a week ago now. Surprising that there isn't a review from any of the big guys yet.

All 5 have hit NC. Some guy posted photos probably a week ago now. Surprising that there isn't a review from any of the big guys yet.

You mean the Bourbon Babe isn't a big guy?

You mean the Bourbon Babe isn't a big guy?

I wasn't familiar with her, but I enjoyed her notes on these releases. Interesting that she's so big on the Handy. And I know somebody that will love the "sorghum" note in the Saz 18.

Hansell had them all a week ago or more and posted a pic of the fab 5. Said review was coming soon.

Hers is at least the second review I've seen calling Handy the winner of the bunch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.