Elmer T. Lee Commemorative Bottle?

thurst63
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Bourbon guy was obviously part of their sales prevention team. Sorta like the guy in charge of single barrel picks for OGD.

Finally picked a couple of these up. Going for $31.95 in VA, same as the standard. Can't wait to compare.

Thanks for the heads up bourbonfoot. These are all over Virginia now. I tried a side by side with the regular and not a lot of difference. The 90 proof actually seemed hotter. I'll have t do a blind tasting later tonight

Did you guys get a product code? ABC telling me only standard version is available.

Did you guys get a product code? ABC telling me only standard version is available.

For whatever reason it seemed to help to mention "black label." A couple places got it in today and had no clue it was any different so it wasn't stocked yet.

On the other hand I talked to two places that said they both got 12. I stopped at one on the way home and they said a guy had just bought all 12. It didn't bother me a ton, buuuuut, I felt like that's kinda obnoxious. Maybe not, just venting, I already have one. Like I've mentioned previously, we've never been short on standard ETL so no harm done I guess.

So I did a blind tasting tonight and was quite surprised. After a small taste of each earlier I didn't notice a ton of difference. With a full pour, the original was the clear winner. The 90 proof was full of spice and vanilla with a nice little burn. The commemorative was thin without a ton of flavor and some oak at the tale end. Could be the nature of single barrels but the commemorative was the clear loser in my blind tasting.

By the way I stopped by a couple ABC stores and each had at least 8.

So I did a blind tasting tonight and was quite surprised. After a small taste of each earlier I didn't notice a ton of difference. With a full pour, the original was the clear winner. The 90 proof was full of spice and vanilla with a nice little burn. The commemorative was thin without a ton of flavor and some oak at the tale end. Could be the nature of single barrels but the commemorative was the clear loser in my blind tasting.

Ha. Exact opposite of my blind results last night. I guess that's single barrel for you.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Interesting, truly a single barrel with very little difference. I preferred the commemorative but not to the point I would even consider stocking the new one. My standard was lacking a little kick and flavor the commemorative had.

What I found most surprising though was tasting the two back to back reminded me of comparing EWSB vintages from different years. same stuff, just small variation.

For whatever reason it seemed to help to mention "black label." A couple places got it in today and had no clue it was any different so it wasn't stocked yet.

On the other hand I talked to two places that said they both got 12. I stopped at one on the way home and they said a guy had just bought all 12. It didn't bother me a ton, buuuuut, I felt like that's kinda obnoxious. Maybe not, just venting, I already have one. Like I've mentioned previously, we've never been short on standard ETL so no harm done I guess.

If I saw 12 on the shelf, I might be tempted to buy 6 (at the right price), but I'd leave some for the next guys. Now if there's 3 ETL's on the shelf, I just might grab them all!

If I saw 12 on the shelf, I might be tempted to buy 6 (at the right price), but I'd leave some for the next guys. Now if there's 3 ETL's on the shelf, I just might grab them all!

Seems like any time i ask about something like this at ABC nobody knows "nothin".

I'd be happy finding one all by its lonesome on a shelf.

I typically only buy the last bottle if it is the only one. If there are two, then I leave one for someone else to enjoy.

That's what I used to do. Now if there are 1, 2 or 3 and I like it, they go home with me. I'm selfish and I admit it.

So I would like some opinions on the following situation. There's a liquor store about 20 minutes from me that I frequent, probably buying either a bottle of wine or bourbon every month or so. I don't know the "bourbon guy" there- I have just never come across him when I have been there, but rather just the regular workers. Anyway, I frequently check their website to see what they have in, since they have a good selection and lots of store picked barrels. I checked the site this morning and saw the ETL Com for $35. Said there were 5 in stock. Rather than order online, I drive down to the store. Check the shelves, nothing. I ask an employee, who doesn't know anything. Another employee tells me they don't have it. I show the guy their website in my phone indicating 5 in stock. He runs off to check, comes back and says it must be a mistake. Okay, fine.

So I am walking out, and I notice a guy with a cart and lo and behold, there's a bottle of the ETL Com. I ask him where he got it, and he says "the special place. Ask the bourbon guy right there." The bourbon guy heard our whole conversation. So I say hello and ask if it would be possible to get a bottle. He says no. I ask if they're all spoken for, and he doesn't really answer me. He just kind of mumbles something about only getting 6 bottles. Fine.

So I walk out of the store, get in my car, and pull up the website, which still lists 5 of the ETL Com. Not regular ETL. So I say, screw it, I am going to order one and see what happens. So the order went through, but I don't yet have my confirmation that the order is filled and ready for pickup. My full expectation is that I will get an email saying the bottle I ordered is no longer available or something similar. I will update whenever I find out for sure.

Now, I understand putting aside bottles for customers. But two employees just flat out lied to me and told me they didn't have it, when they did. The "bourbon guy" wouldn't sell me a bottle despite the fact he wouldn't say that the bottles were actually spoken for. If he said that, fine, I get it. I understand that he doesn't know me, but I did pick out the bottle from a pile in a random cart, so I am clearly not uninformed. And the store was stupid enough to list it on their website and allow me to "purchase" it.

If the bourbon guy calls me up and says, listen, I promised the bottle to someone, it was a mistake to put it on the website, I am fine with that. (they have my phone number on the order) But if the store just sends me a generic cancellation, I am going to be kind of pissed. Anyone have any thoughts about this situation?

The guy basically confirmed they had them, just that *I* couldn't buy one. No matter. I found one cheaper elsewhere, at a store that honored online orders.

This bottling is not to be seen in Indy, but I was in Lake County on biz yesterday and it's all over. One place had 12 bottles on the shelf at $28.99 ea.

Seems like any time i ask about something like this at ABC nobody knows "nothin".

The Schultz defense is a common tactic!

The Schultz defense is a common tactic!

That's why I never head to the Whiskey Monger without a slab of LeBeau'sapple strudel...

I picked up a bottle in Ohio for just shy of $32 last night. I had a small pour when I got home and enjoyed it as much as standard ETL. I will probably to do a blind side by side this weekend.

I picked up a bottle in Ohio for just shy of $32 last night. I had a small pour when I got home and enjoyed it as much as standard ETL. I will probably to do a blind side by side this weekend.

Looking forward to your findings.

After opening and doing a side by side, I found the Commerative to be richer, fuller and with much more barrel character. I assume it is aged a bit longer. Then again, the standard bottle I have open right now isn't as good as previous ones so I don't know if it says much. Overall, I am happy with the ETLC. I think it represents the best of what the ETL profile has to offer.

After opening and doing a side by side, I found the Commerative to be richer, fuller and with much more barrel character. I assume it is aged a bit longer. Then again, the standard bottle I have open right now isn't as good as previous ones so I don't know if it says much. Overall, I am happy with the ETLC. I think it represents the best of what the ETL profile has to offer.

Generally agree. I picked it out easily on a double blind. Like em both but a touch richer on the 93 proof. It's a Shame this isn't a 100 proof offering.

Generally agree. I picked it out easily on a double blind. Like em both but a touch richer on the 93 proof. It's a Shame this isn't a 100 proof offering.

Definitely a shame, because that would mean Mr. Lee was with us another seven years.

I realize that they vary batch by batch (as do our evaluations), but I also agree. My last standard ETL was quite disappointing, but I loved the ETLCom.

These hit a lot of Chicago suburbs stores today if anyone is still searching. Not sure about Binny's though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.