2014 Four Roses LE Single Barrel

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good morning everyone. Looks the this years release is going to be an 11yr old OESF.

As always, they are putting tasting notes on the side label. But, it has been a few years since I've had this recipe. Anyone have a recent experience with this recipe?

Edited by Phil T

I had some of the "F" yeast in a barrel proof bottling but I don't remember which mashbill it was.

I did not like it.

I'm down w this. Took me awhile to come around on the F yeast, but the last one I had (from P & Ms pick, OBSF though, I believe) was a real stunner. Almost a bottled cocktail. May dig it out right now for some more detailed notes.

Actually we picked both the OBSF and the OESF recipes for the P & M private selections. Will be interesting to see how the 2014 LE compares. So right about the OBSF. Simply fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure I will pick up a couple of the 2014 LE, but some of the gift shop bottles can give these LE's a run for their money! I haven't had too many of the F yeast, but I picked up an OESF from the gift shop last month that is really good.

Definitely agree that the sexy lies w the SmB LEs. Not much value generally in the 1B ones v the GS selections. Still, I'm a sucker and sure I'll be grabbing one or two.

Definitely agree that the sexy lies w the SmB LEs. Not much value generally in the 1B ones v the GS selections. Still, I'm a sucker and sure I'll be grabbing one or two.
If you are a FR fan, there seems to be a general consensus that store bottling and GS bottlings are every bit as good as the LE SB. But as you said, we still buy the more expensive Limited Edition anyway.

I have a Binny's OESF - exactly as advertised, it could be mistaken for a HH bottling, and definitely bears the least resemblance to a FR profile of any bottle I've ever had from this distillery. Interestingly, I had an OBSF from TPS that wasn't minty at all, and even fared better than OBSKs in a blind tasting. I've been told a couple of things about this - one, that Jim Rutledge is liable to shake things up for the heck of it; two, that the F yeast produces even weirder stuff than the Q yeast, as hard as that may be to believe. So I guess my point is that all bets are off, that this could taste like a delightful, canonical FR product, or something really exotic.

I have a Binny's OESF - exactly as advertised, it could be mistaken for a HH bottling, and definitely bears the least resemblance to a FR profile of any bottle I've ever had from this distillery. Interestingly, I had an OBSF from TPS that wasn't minty at all, and even fared better than OBSKs in a blind tasting. I've been told a couple of things about this - one, that Jim Rutledge is liable to shake things up for the heck of it; two, that the F yeast produces even weirder stuff than the Q yeast, as hard as that may be to believe. So I guess my point is that all bets are off, that this could taste like a delightful, canonical FR product, or something really exotic.

Damn, I was going to say all that, but you said it much better.

Damn, I was going to say all that, but you said it much better.
I think I was influenced by a review on your blog! That makes you a co-author :-)

I has the F yeast at the GS a few weeks ago. It was a lot different than I remember. I'm looking forward to this release.

I has the F yeast at the GS a few weeks ago. It was a lot different than I remember. I'm looking forward to this release.

F on the rocks is sublime :)

Like liquid candy

F on the rocks is sublime :) Like liquid candy
FR products in general do well with ice/water. IMO, it's an underrated aspect of their whiskeys.

FR products in general do well with ice/water. IMO, it's an underrated aspect of their whiskeys.

Totally agree w this. I love the high proof PS, GS, and 1BLE's on a big cube. For whatever reason prefer the SmBLE's neat.

FR doesn't do so well with air though, at least not the SmB. A few of us were drinking some '10 LE SmB and '09 Mariage last night that have only been open for about 4 months and it was surprising how much they've changed and not for the better. Still delicious, but not nearly as amazing as when they were first opened. You gotta drink them fast and that's usually not a problem with FR.

FR doesn't do so well with air though, at least not the SmB. A few of us were drinking some '10 LE SmB and '09 Mariage last night that have only been open for about 4 months and it was surprising how much they've changed and not for the better. Still delicious, but not nearly as amazing as when they were first opened. You gotta drink them fast and that's usually not a problem with FR.
I've heard that from several people, unfortunately. I had a 17 year gift shop bottle go flat on me in a couple of weeks - I was saving it for special occasions, but drinking the damn thing is a special occasion in itself, so why wait?!?!

I've tasted from a GS 17 yr that was open for many months. Granted I didn't taste it newly opened to compare, but it was still sublime when I got to it. And glad I did. My own bottles are never open long enough to declare any oxidation issues.

I had some of the "F" yeast in a barrel proof bottling but I don't remember which mashbill it was.

I did not like it.

I'm a fan of the F yeast it can be polarizing to some but I have also experienced the greatest variance of profile from this yeast. I have had several PS F's that were stellar and if Rutledge is making the selection I'm sure it will be nothing short of superb!

I think I was influenced by a review on your blog! That makes you a co-author :-)

Ha! I don't know about that but I'm glad you like the blog!

I'm a fan of the F yeast it can be polarizing to some but I have also experienced the greatest variance of profile from this yeast. I have had several PS F's that were stellar and if Rutledge is making the selection I'm sure it will be nothing short of superb!

I know I will work to get a couple. Hoping to find some in KY during the Sampler weekend.

Best regards, Tony

I've heard this a lot, but just don't buy it myself.

I'm with you my friend. I've been fortunate to have never tasted a flat bottle myself. As for the LE single I tend to buy a few but not go overboard. I'm happy with gift shops bottles and store barrel proofers for less cost/hassle

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!