2014 Four Roses LE Single Barrel

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

80-90 retail around here last year. Wouldn't be surprised if we see an increase this year.

We have been told to get ready for an increase on nearly every premium bourbon across the board in next 10 months. Would make sense that limited releases would increase too.

I've never picked up the FRSBLE in the past (mostly because I don't think I ever saw one!), but I think the single barrel (and potential variable nature) scares me a bit - compared to the SmBLE. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the SmBLE, and won't be surprised to see that happen this fall.

Had my allocation saved to pickup today and open one right away for a first pour. Ok, only one pour and not going back yet.

This thing is peppery and fruity. You should think if you like peppery!!! For me, I just found out I don't like peppery. Definitely full bodied, decent nice nose, balance, and very warming going down. I could do minty if that's the case but not sure about peppery, did someone added black pepper?

Note - first pour and first impression only so taste for yourself please. I may go back in a couple of days or maybe later. Usually if I like it, I'll have three pours already.

I think if you like peppery this is another winner. If not . . .

5ypy3evu.jpg

I picked up 2 bottles of this yesterday. I like it... I get some nice brown sugar, clove, and floral notes with a touch of mint on the finish. I think it's a nicely complex and unique bourbon. Mine is 114 proof and doesn't drink like it. It's probably not for everybody though.

I picked up 2 bottles of this yesterday. I like it... I get some nice brown sugar, clove, and floral notes with a touch of mint on the finish. I think it's a nicely complex and unique bourbon. Mine is 114 proof and doesn't drink like it. It's probably not for everybody though.

Just curious, how q's description compares to store selects? Anyone have any OESF store select tasting notes to compare?

Just curious, how q's description compares to store selects? Anyone have any OESF store select tasting notes to compare?

I have an OESF 10 year 7 month, 116 proof from Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA. My notes are surprisingly similar to Qman's, with a floral and semi-sweet nose, tastes of dark fruits/sugars finishing with spices and a just hint of mint and oak. The spice is stronger than I expected for the mashbill of 20% rye but it could also just be the slightly higher proof. I did add a little water but the general spice tones were still there however the sugar started to become lighter, getting closer to more of the standard caramel flavor. This is a nice complex bourbon which makes a great desert type pour when you're not just looking to satisfy a sweet tooth. I haven't opened my 2014 LE SiB yet, testing my restraint as I want to finish off a 2003 EWSB and a Bulleit Rye before I open it.

After opening for a couple of days the peppery note is evening out. More enjoyable now.

This just hit NJ. Got an email today to pick up a bottle after work.

All my stores in Northern Jersey are saying not yet :(

Same thing seems to have happened with ETL comm. too because they all keep telling me they never got it

Tonight the peppery note is minimal now. A good spice note and a nice pour.

So far allocations in Kentucky have been very limited for this "limited edition." My favorite store (who is a big buyer of Four Roses) received exactly ONE (1) bottle!

So far allocations in Kentucky have been very limited for this "limited edition." My favorite store (who is a big buyer of Four Roses) received exactly ONE (1) bottle!

I called one store that has a few PS from FR and said they only got 2 bottles to sell and they were gone within 15-30 minutes of the store opening and the truck delivering. Was in a smaller store in town talking with the owner who said their SWS salesman got only 9 bottles to hand out for all of his stores. How many stores that is I don't know, but this store also got 2 bottles and I'm sure the salesman doesn't handle just 4 or 5 stores in his account. This years release seems much harder to come by than it was last year.

I have a couple E Four Roses recipes that were dropped in my lap for my birthday, and I actually haven't even gotten around to opening the 2013 LE that I got ahold of early this year, so I hate to say it, but . . . I think I might pass on the 2014 LE. As a Four Roses fan it pains me to say that, but I doubt anyone hunting for a bottle in Maryland is going to be terribly upset at having one less whiskey geek to beat out.

Be nice to hear some more notes on this and what other think of it. :)

I second this. Anyone got tasting notes to share?

I have a couple E Four Roses recipes that were dropped in my lap for my birthday, and I actually haven't even gotten around to opening the 2013 LE that I got ahold of early this year, so I hate to say it, but . . . I think I might pass on the 2014 LE. As a Four Roses fan it pains me to say that, but I doubt anyone hunting for a bottle in Maryland is going to be terribly upset at having one less whiskey geek to beat out.

The 2013, at least my bottle, is really an amazing bourbon, great pick by barrel selectors.

I got through half of it in no time and have made myself nurse it since then until I got a comparably good obsk.

They are supposed to be fixing that this week.

Allotment same to entire state except lots more bottles going to the 4R gift shop(s).

I called one store that has a few PS from FR and said they only got 2 bottles to sell and they were gone within 15-30 minutes of the store opening and the truck delivering. Was in a smaller store in town talking with the owner who said their SWS salesman got only 9 bottles to hand out for all of his stores. How many stores that is I don't know, but this store also got 2 bottles and I'm sure the salesman doesn't handle just 4 or 5 stores in his account. This years release seems much harder to come by than it was last year.

Me thinks they recently flooded us with barrel selection offerings just so they could thin out the distribution without raising too much of a ruckus. It sure worked for me, because I took my share of the $50 barrel proofers and slipped quietly into the night.

Me thinks they recently flooded us with barrel selection offerings just so they could thin out the distribution without raising too much of a ruckus. It sure worked for me, because I took my share of the $50 barrel proofers and slipped quietly into the night.

Interesting perspective because I am thinking I will just opt for the same recipe from my local store's barrel selection and be just as happy for 1/2 the price.

Been working through this off and on over the last couple of nights. Nice nose with that good Rickhouse aroma. Initial taste on the tongue has a pleasing Goetze's Caramel Cream candy sweetness, that hints at a goodness to come...however, what follows is an explosion of overly spicy snap, crackle, and pop. Hugh's description of "peppery" is what I see in this, too. But, I find it overdone and unpleasant. Unfortunately, it hasn't calmed down, as yet, for me. That said, it is undoubtedly a well crafted whiskey, and probably hit some extraordinarily interesting levels for The Master. I'm just not ready for those, however. But, if you like a sparking and spicy firecracker, this will be dead-red in your wheelhouse. Not my favorite 4R iteration, but my takeaway from this experience is an even increased appreciation for the sheer range of profiles that 4R can produce from their arsenal of recipes.

Been working through this off and on over the last couple of nights. Nice nose with that good Rickhouse aroma. Initial taste on the tongue has a pleasing Goetze's Caramel Cream candy sweetness, that hints at a goodness to come...however, what follows is an explosion of overly spicy snap, crackle, and pop. Hugh's description of "peppery" is what I see in this, too. But, I find it overdone and unpleasant. Unfortunately, it hasn't calmed down, as yet, for me. That said, it is undoubtedly a well crafted whiskey, and probably hit some extraordinarily interesting levels for The Master. I'm just not ready for those, however. But, if you like a sparking and spicy firecracker, this will be dead-red in your wheelhouse. Not my favorite 4R iteration, but my takeaway from this experience is an even increased appreciation for the sheer range of profiles that 4R can produce from their arsenal of recipes.

This is exactly as I taste but can't convey as well. Some night it calms down a little but still too predominant. Today was those fiery nights again.

That's why, Joe, over the years you are one of which on this board I would follow your tasting notes wholeheartedly. :)

Edited by tigerlam92
add

I agree Paddy. As much as I don't like to frequent those big box stores, I will admit that I bought my fair share of the FRPS drop Liquor Barn released a short while ago. While a few recipes are still on store shelves, my favorite OBSK is long gone here in town to the best of my knowledge. I'm just glad I was able to get 4 bottles before they were all gone and wish I had more of them. To me, the folks at LB did an excellent job with the OBSK as it was 12yrs old and reminded me of last years SBLE a ton. In fact, I keep getting the same taste every time I go back to it. That might be why my first bottle is almost dead. Almost wish I had bought a while case of the recipe at my first chance it is so good and this year half the price of the LE and $25 cheaper than last years selection. Makes me want to find more 4R PS selections when possible and snap them up as quickly as I can.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!