Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spring has sprung so time for a new thread. And to get things started Glenfarclas 105. Can't wait to compare it to Ab A'bunadh.

Found a Redbreast 12 CS Batch B1/12. I'm not sure what it's been doing for the past two years, but I was certainly happy to take it in, give it a home.

Talisker 10 for $50. I think this is the cheapest price I've ever seen it so I decided to pick it up.

Got a bottle of Balcones V Anniversary Single Malt finished in the Brimstone Resurrection Barrel.

Grabbed a Compass Box Peat Monster 10th and a Flaming Heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't buy it but a friend of mine gave me a brand new bottle of Macallan 21 Scotch. It is still in the box. He obtained from an older lady who didn't want it any more. While he thought he might enjoy it, he thought I might enjoy it more. And he knew I would invite him over to a nice dinner and to share.

I have limited Scotch experience but recognize that this a highly sought after bottle and, if purchased, quite expensive.

I would love to share some inside information with him when we open it. It is a 700 ml bottle. Just curious, was/is this size bottle available in the U.S.? Also, is there a way to determine when it was bottled?

I didn't buy it but a friend of mine gave me a brand new bottle of Macallan 21 Scotch. It is still in the box. He obtained from an older lady who didn't want it any more. While he thought he might enjoy it, he thought I might enjoy it more. And he knew I would invite him over to a nice dinner and to share.

I have limited Scotch experience but recognize that this a highly sought after bottle and, if purchased, quite expensive.

I would love to share some inside information with him when we open it. It is a 700 ml bottle. Just curious, was/is this size bottle available in the U.S.? Also, is there a way to determine when it was bottled?

Not a Macallan guru, but I thought only 750mL allowed by law for sale in the US (along with other set sizes, but not 700mL).

ChainWhip has it: 700 ml would generally be indicative of a bottle purchased outside of the U.S. or duty free. Assuming we are talking about the Macallan Fine Oak 21 (43% abv), the bottle could have been produced anywhere between 2004 and now, and the 750ml bottling would retail in the U.S. for around $280 (more or less, depending on markup and taxes). If the bottle does not say "Fine Oak" on it, please take a picture so we can ogle your multi-thousand dollar limited release.

As for the specific date when it was bottled: There is probably a way to tell from bottling code or the inside of the packaging, but I don't have a lot of experience with ferreting that stuff out.

At any rate, a very generous gift from a friend. Enjoy!

ChainWhip has it: 700 ml would generally be indicative of a bottle purchased outside of the U.S. or duty free. Assuming we are talking about the Macallan Fine Oak 21 (43% abv), the bottle could have been produced anywhere between 2004 and now, and the 750ml bottling would retail in the U.S. for around $280 (more or less, depending on markup and taxes). If the bottle does not say "Fine Oak" on it, please take a picture so we can ogle your multi-thousand dollar limited release.

As for the specific date when it was bottled: There is probably a way to tell from bottling code or the inside of the packaging, but I don't have a lot of experience with ferreting that stuff out.

At any rate, a very generous gift from a friend. Enjoy!

It is Fine Oak! Thank you, this helps a lot!

I bought some Berry's 17 year old Mortlach from Total Wine a few days on impulse.
Would you mind giving us your tasting notes when you have a chance to open it? I've been considering purchasing one of these to round out my Mortlach marketing push survival kit, but haven't been able to find any reviews online.

It may be awhile, but I guess I could bump this to next bottle opened when I get the chance.

Another call for tasting notes. I've passed on that bottle (or one just like it) from my local TW on several occasions, primarily because of the color and lack of CS sad to say. But if it's good I'll have to go grab it considering my current Mortlach stash consists of a single Signatory 21 year... rather lean pickings.

Another call for tasting notes. I've passed on that bottle (or one just like it) from my local TW on several occasions, primarily because of the color and lack of CS sad to say. But if it's good I'll have to go grab it considering my current Mortlach stash consists of a single Signatory 21 year... rather lean pickings.

Lack of CS? The one I have is at cask strength. :confused: One reason why I picked it up. Most of the other bottles were 92 proof.

Lack of CS? The one I have is at cask strength. :confused: One reason why I picked it up. Most of the other bottles were 92 proof.

Oh really... I swear the one I saw was not CS. At my TW they have a large lineup of Berry's and the CS versions are mixed throughout. I recall that one not being CS but I could have been wrong. Dang, another reason to buy it now...

Bought a bottle of Finlaggan. I want to see how it compares to its more famous kin. I'm going to give some out as blind samples alongside Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Caol Ila.

Edited by berto

Oh really... I swear the one I saw was not CS. At my TW they have a large lineup of Berry's and the CS versions are mixed throughout. I recall that one not being CS but I could have been wrong. Dang, another reason to buy it now...
I know Total Wine also has a Battle Hill bottling of Mortlach @ 14yrs and 43% abv. Unless I hear some pretty amazing things about that one, I'll be giving it a pass. I may take a leap of faith on a similar bottle by G&M (might be a few years older), since Ralfy seems to at least partially recommend G&M's non CS Mortlach offerings. He had a significantly older bottling, though (21 yrs vs 16 or 17 I think).

@zillah: While I appreciate your willingness to consider opening your bottle, I would hate to feel like I had a part in pressuring you to do something you didn't want to. Thank you for even entertaining the possibility though.

I bought some Berry's 17 year old Mortlach from Total Wine a few days on impulse.

Do you have a picture? Barrel # & ABV?

I know Total Wine also has a Battle Hill bottling of Mortlach @ 14yrs and 43% abv. Unless I hear some pretty amazing things about that one, I'll be giving it a pass. I may take a leap of faith on a similar bottle by G&M (might be a few years older), since Ralfy seems to at least partially recommend G&M's non CS Mortlach offerings. He had a significantly older bottling, though (21 yrs vs 16 or 17 I think).

I have a G&M 15yo 43% open right now. It's good, but when poured next to a Signatory 18yo @ CS it... well actually it's still good. It's different for sure; the CS bottle tends to POP on the palate whereas the G&M does not, but it still brings great flavor to the table, and it's getting better as it opens up. Only problem is the Signatory was $70 and the G&M $75, so for QP value, the CS takes it by a mile. I'm still glad I have the G&M one though.

I know where a bottle of the G&M 21yo is for $130, but I have a few more CS bottlings to pick up before I consider that one.

I have a G&M 15yo 43% open right now. It's good, but when poured next to a Signatory 18yo @ CS it... well actually it's still good. It's different for sure; the CS bottle tends to POP on the palate whereas the G&M does not, but it still brings great flavor to the table, and it's getting better as it opens up. Only problem is the Signatory was $70 and the G&M $75, so for QP value, the CS takes it by a mile. I'm still glad I have the G&M one though.

I know where a bottle of the G&M 21yo is for $130, but I have a few more CS bottlings to pick up before I consider that one.

Thanks for the notes Aaron. My logic behind looking into it was that I don't have any non-cask strength Mortlach stashed away, and will never be able to find the semi-official Flora and Fauna bottling. I will probably hold off on the G&M bottling and keep looking around, as it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Unfortunately, I haven't found any Signatory cask strength bottlings in my area (of any kind, not just Mortlach). This is doubly upsetting, since they seem to have an outstanding reputation for their CS offerings, and their prices appear to be very reasonable.

Here you go.

The ABV is 57.2%.

Thx Zillah! I should've bought that when I had the chance - my TW is now out of that bottle. I look forward to your tasting notes.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!