Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Didn't buy them today exactly but among the several bottles I bought or picked up at the Sampler were a few malts to include a Caol Ila Sauternes finish, a couple of intriguing Longrow's and this little beauty, a Bowmore 1991 16yo cask strength port "matured", all courtesy of a kind fellow SBer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18296[/ATTACH]

Looking forward to all of them but that one in particular!

Didn't really have a category to place this in but since it's derived from 2-row malted barley, here we go:

14009912922_df424f3255_z.jpg

Charbay Whiskey Release 3 / III

For peat's sake & the New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014....Laphroaig 10.

Birthday Bounty: 1) Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist;

2) Laphroaig CS10 (Red Stripe L8);

3) Dalwhinnie 15 :cool:

Edited by Old Lamplighter

Birthday Bounty: 1) Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist;

2) Laphroaig CS10 (Red Stripe L8);

3) Dalwhinnie 15 :cool:

Happy 21st Birthday young man!

Not purchased, but acquired through the graciousness of an acquaintance, a bottle of Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 9.

Picked up a Duncan & Taylor "Dimensions" Bladnoch today among several other bottles. 22yo cask strength from 1990 with a rather intriguing amount of color.

Thought it would make a nice comparison with the Bladnoch from K&L I got recently.

The Ardbeg ANB is sweet. Or should I say smokey!

Picked up a Duncan & Taylor "Dimensions" Bladnoch today among several other bottles. 22yo cask strength from 1990 with a rather intriguing amount of color.

Thought it would make a nice comparison with the Bladnoch from K&L I got recently.

Which K&L one did you get? I got the 23 and haven't opened it yet. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Sheep Dip Old Hebridean. Never had it and not a big scotch drinker but it looked intriguing. And needed a scotch for the bar.

-Mike

Which K&L one did you get? I got the 23 and haven't opened it yet. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Yes, the K&L 23yo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18058[/ATTACH]

Nikka Coffey Grain, Signatory Cambus, Faultline Longmorn, Bladnoch 23yo and Kilkerran Bourbon Wood (was a bit of a toss up but ended up with this one over the sherry) .

Haven't opened it yet either but I hope to remedy that on Wednesday with the return of the Wednesday Tasting! Plan to open both the K&L and the Duncan Taylor and perhaps one other younger Bladnoch (17yo I think?) I have from Gordon & MacPhail. The Duncan Taylor 22yo appears to have a bit more color than the K&L.

Sheep Dip Old Hebridean. Never had it and not a big scotch drinker but it looked intriguing. And needed a scotch for the bar.

-Mike

Nice find - been looking around for that but have never come across it. If you open it up, would love to hear what you think... Cheers!

Found a 28 year old ex-sherry Bunnahabhain bottled in 2006 from Signatory that looked interesting. Also a Clynelish from a bottler I hadn't heard of before. gupeqaru.jpg

Found a 28 year old ex-sherry Bunnahabhain bottled in 2006 from Signatory that looked interesting. Also a Clynelish from a bottler I hadn't heard of before. gupeqaru.jpg

Although not exactly a purchase, a buddy of mine recently went on a golf trip to Scotland and came back with 5 bottles of scotch. As I've been sending him bourbons that he can't get where he lives he offered me 2 of his bottles (my choice). They are:

Lagavulin 16

Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition 2012

Glen Elgin (not sure on specifics)

GlenDronach Parliament 21 yr

Knockando 12

I'm thinking the GlenDronach and Knockando would be the best choices (I already have a Lag 12). Thoughts/comments?

I'm thinking the GlenDronach and Knockando would be the best choices (I already have a Lag 12). Thoughts/comments?

Knockando 12's are usually released as bottlings of a particular vintage. I had a bottle of the 12 year 1993 vintage about two years ago and honestly I would rate it as the worst single malt I've ever had. Descriptors which come to mind are sweaty socks stuffed into an old shoe box in a damp cellar ... and vomit.

...Descriptors which come to mind are sweaty socks stuffed into an old shoe box in a damp cellar ... and vomit.

:lol: Nice! In some circles that's considered an interesting level of complexity! :slappin:

Yeah, Knockando should be considered No-can-do and avoided. The Glendronach would be my first choice, and probably the Dalwhinnie since you already have Lagavulin 12 (the 16 would be a little disappointing after that). Dalwhinnie is pretty middle of the road in my opinion but good by all accounts.

Travel retail Balvenie 16 Triple Cask courtesy of my sister traveling through Heathrow duty free. Gift - not purchased which makes it even better.

Picked up a back-up bottle of Old Pulteney 12 for $27 (great price) and a Laphroaig QC on sale too. I really love both and they will come in handy when my Scottish relatives visit in a few weeks.

Octomore 6.1 in anticipation of a GBS Scotch night next week. Thinking we should save this one for the end so we don't fry our palates.

9anu7a6a.jpg

Went looking for ETL Commerative Bottle and stumbled upon a couple of gems from a few years ago.

post-9641-14489820858779_thumb.jpg

Octomore 6.1 in anticipation of a GBS Scotch night next week. Thinking we should save this one for the end so we don't fry our palates.

9anu7a6a.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Went looking for ETL Commerative Bottle and stumbled upon a couple of gems from a few years ago.

I need to open my Sherry Oak. I'm just scared that it won't live up to my expectation of what a sherry + Balvenie 17 will taste. That seems like it would be perfection.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!