What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Left an ETL on the shelf along with some various Big Bottom varieties (Rhone Cask finished bourbon?) and 13th Colony Southern Bourbon Whiskey. Will probably pick up the Southern Bourbon in the future, but the week before KBF, the bar is raised on local purchases!

Passed on WT Tradition, Barterhouse and Blowhard at good prices while visiting Massachusetts. Wanted the Tradition but already had a shipper full of beer and didn't want to complicate my luggage situation. There will always be a next time.

Passed on WT Tradition, Barterhouse and Blowhard at good prices while visiting Massachusetts. Wanted the Tradition but already had a shipper full of beer and didn't want to complicate my luggage situation. There will always be a next time.

Can you quantify "good prices?"

There will always be a next time.

that's not a safe assumption with bourbon anymore. Top shelf or bottom shelf, it can easily be cleaned out next time you stop in.

There'll be another opportunity but no guarantee someone who wants it as much as you didn't spot it in the meanwhile.

Left a store private barrel pick of FRSB (OESF, 10 yr, 8 mo, 114.4 proof) in my wake . . . $64.99 :bigeyes: The OESF is one I was looking to try, but not paying that for it (and here in GA, can't get a sample - at least not "legally"). They called out that this is the same recipe as the 2014 FRSBLE, so not sure if that is what makes them think they can get that much for it? 10% off if you buy 6 bottles, so my guess is if it doesn't move - they'll reduce the price. Hopefully just in time for Christmas :)

EW1B "put in oak in 2000" for $45. Kinda wanted it but $45 is too much. Also left some JB 7-year at $22. Curious about it but did not pull the trigger. Have some Devil's Cut that I don't care for all that much to work through first.

Also, passed on a HW Son of Bourye. I thought it was interesting because it was Batch #1, but that didn't sway me enough to buy.

Not today, but over the weekend I passed on the same bottle of Rhetoric at my new go to spot for the third time. It's priced at the state minimum (89.99), but from the mixed reviews I've heard, I have a hard time pulling the trigger when I can get 2-3 bottles of some of my favorites for that same price or less.

Passed on PVW20 at $1555 and ORVW10 at $555, both for sale in the glass case at a liquor store-gas station combination. Prices are absurd, but it is still amusing to find them for sale at a gas station-liquor store.

Amusing and a bit sad.

I can't remember who used the term "commodity fetishization" to describe the whole PVW phenomena, but it struck me as pretty insightful. I mean, I am sure it is good (never had any myself), but it really can't be that good.

It was very good when Stitzel-Weller made it. Current production is still in the premium category but nowhere near the mythical status it enjoys. About the only reason to seek it out today is just to say you've had it.

I have no doubt it is very good and that S-W juice is the top of they pyramid for a lot of enthuiasts. But I cannot accept that it is 10X as good as stuff that costs 10% as much. Also, it appears to me that most of the people who want it are not people who could tell bourbon from BBQ sauce in a blind taste test. It seems to me that, as of now, people who know only one thing about bourbon "know" that PVW is "the best." That is what people mention to me most of the time if I tell them I am into old bourbon. I think at this point it is like Crystal or Ace of Spades champagnes: mostly desired for their pop culture relevance, rather than because they are better in quality than similarly (or lower) priced champagnes.

If money was no object, I would buy a bottle and drink it. But, here in my reality where money is an object, I would rather spend my $1,555 of wages on more than one bottle of bourbon.

No bourbon is worth $1k to me. Obviously there are those out there paying a bunch to drink what someone else says is the best.

The champagne comparison is apt though being of the Saintsbury school I don't much care for any champagne. PVW will retain it's status until the label conscious crowd are told there is something better.

Left some 10 yr Willett and Parker's Heritage on the shelves. Too rich for my blood at the 2 stores I saw them at.

If money was no object, I would buy a bottle and drink it. But, here in my reality where money is an object, I would rather spend my $1,555 of wages on more than one bottle of bourbon.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!