What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just curious, as a newbie, I have no idea as to what the adverse effects of storing bourbon on its side. Please inform me!!

The cork will slowly rot away over time. The lower alcohol content in wine doesn't cause this problem.

The cork will slowly rot away over time. The lower alcohol content in wine doesn't cause this problem.

Thanks for that!

Also passed on a bunch of allocated bottles out at a store in NJ this last weekend (all the usuals BTAC, PVW, 4RLE, etc)...Sadly every single one of them were on a wine racked secured on the back wall laying on their sides and have been there for at least a year if not longer. Feel bad for whoever actually grabs them.

I wonder if anyone has tried to tell the shopkeeper what a terrible thing they have done. :shocked:

I wonder if anyone has tried to tell the shopkeeper what a terrible thing they have done. :shocked:

Oh no I did. His exact response...HIM: "no, no they are fine that way, In fact its better to store them that way" ME: I know that is true for wine, but with the higher alcohol content it is going to become tainted. HIM: "This is not true" - Just smiled and bought my bottle of water and walked out.

Oh no I did. His exact response...HIM: "no, no they are fine that way, In fact its better to store them that way" ME: I know that is true for wine, but with the higher alcohol content it is going to become tainted. HIM: "This is not true" - Just smiled and bought my bottle of water and walked out.

If he ever sells those things, he could have some very angry customers on his hands. I wouldn't imagine he's very amenable to refunds...

Looks like you called it on this one Squire. The guy already knows everything.

I passed on Baker's for $40, Booker's for $45, Stagg Jr. for $54, and JB 12yr Sig Craft for $32. I think I need to go back and get at least one, not sure which. Leaning toward Baker's, because we both liked it when we sampled after the tour. Any thoughts on Booker's or the JB 12yr?

I passed on Baker's for $40, Booker's for $45, Stagg Jr. for $54, and JB 12yr Sig Craft for $32. I think I need to go back and get at least one, not sure which. Leaning toward Baker's, because we both liked it when we sampled after the tour. Any thoughts on Booker's or the JB 12yr?

If the bookers is batch 2013-6 I would jump all over it at that price.

Passed on shelves full of Barterhouse, Rhetoric, and Stagg Jr. All at very good prices too.

Passed on Stagg Jr. batch 2 last night myself. I was in there a month and a half ago when it first arrived and they don't appear to have sold a single bottle yet. I'll likely end up with one sooner or later.

I think Beam Signature Craft (which Beam refers to as their ultra premium) is certainly worth $32 compared to a similarly ultra selection Scotch or Canadian and should put to shame NDPs who are only capable of ultra prices from their meager stocks.

If he ever sells those things, he could have some very angry customers on his hands. I wouldn't imagine he's very amenable to refunds...

Probably better that they are left that way at this point. If he stands them up nobody will know they spent so much time on their side and could be buying expensive bad whiskey without knowing all the facts. If left as they are anybody buying whiskey of that quality and cost after seeing it lying on its side and not knowing what the risk is perhaps getting what they paid for.

I think Beam Signature Craft (which Beam refers to as their ultra premium) is certainly worth $32 compared to a similarly ultra selection Scotch or Canadian and should put to shame NDPs who are only capable of ultra prices from their meager stocks.

If the fill levels are solid and the price is right they might be worth the gamble, especially some of the lower proof ones. Corked or cork taint occurs because of a fungus in the cork. Storage isn't going to "cork" a bottle the presence of the fungus will. Fill level, oxidation and cork deterioration are the likely issues here.

I'm going to guess that with guys attitude these were not reasonably priced. If they were I might strike up a conversation with management to see what their policy on bad bottles are, if they are a stand up shop they should offer a refund as long as you open the bottle in a reasonable time frame. I've had this conversation a few times on wine where I was worried about the storage. In some cases I negotiated a better price by agreeing with the store owner to not bring them back if they were bad (grabbed 3 $50 bottles for $18 a piece, all turned out fine) other cases I confirmed they would take them back if there was an issue.

Made a quick trip after work to 3 stores that I don't frequent. I passed on some more Orphan Barrel and some JPS21 Rye and JPS25 Rye.

I feel like I need to save up for some releases I am looking forward to in the next few weeks.

Passed up Barterhouse bottle 11 thousand something and Rhetoric 30 thousand something. Makes me wonder about bottle 180 of Rhetoric I saw awhile back. I wonder if they started over at 100,000.

Passed up Barterhouse bottle 11 thousand something and Rhetoric 30 thousand something. Makes me wonder about bottle 180 of Rhetoric I saw awhile back. I wonder if they started over at 100,000.

I need to wait until I FINISH my coffee before reading SB :lol: I nearly spit all over my keyboard thinking you were listing prices for those two!

Just smiled and bought my bottle of water and walked out.

Ha! I started to buy bottles of water lately when I'm hunting b/c about 98% of the time there's nothing worth buying. I was getting sick of the dirty looks when I walked out empty handed or the "can I help you" as I've got one foot out the door. Even an .89c bottle of water fixes this uncomfortable issue. However, coming home with 10 weird bottles of water is a tipoff to the wife on what I've been doing.

You are operating under the assumption that whoever buys these bottles is going to take them home and actually open them.

Ha! I started to buy bottles of water lately when I'm hunting b/c about 98% of the time there's nothing worth buying. I was getting sick of the dirty looks when I walked out empty handed or the "can I help you" as I've got one foot out the door. Even an .89c bottle of water fixes this uncomfortable issue. However, coming home with 10 weird bottles of water is a tipoff to the wife on what I've been doing.

Ha, I know this feeling...depending on what kind of neighborhood the shop is in, I keep my hand out of my pockets to illustrate I'm not stealing anything either. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not though, I have found the "Didn't find what you were looking for?" comment very helpful. I usually then explain that I'm a whiskey/bourbon fan(atic) and that I usually stop in periodically to check for new stuff. If the person is knowledgeable, I might get info on what they expect in the coming weeks. Just the other night the guy said he was holding a bottle of Black Maple Hill Rye for himself but offered to sell it to me. I declined since I didn't have any research on that particular bottle but it's nice to build some bridges with the employees who would offer something like that. All because I am about to walk out empty handed. :grin:

Jason

I've had a few of those surly "can I help you" blurbs on my way out and am tempted to reply "no, I just came in to get out of the rain".

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!