What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yep, and I followed with a pour of Jeff10 and it was in the same wheelhouse as the CEHT for half the price I paid and a third of the current price. And I'm no Jeff fanboy.

Love me some CETHR but at $79.99 it's not worth it when baby Zaz is $31.99 and RITTBIB is $19.99.

TT that's a bargain compared to $89.99 or $99.99 around here. But agree that I'm not a buyer even at your prices.

Nice pour of some Willett 25yr/4yr mingle. The 25yr (100 proof, barrel 1776) was just too oaky for me, but mixed with some 4 yr 110 it drinks nicely. Only wish now I had filled a 200 mL bottle for the trip rather than a 2oz sample bottle! :yum:

Last pour of Hirsch 22yr last night.

What at a nose! Could smell that all day. So aromatic and rich.

B

Nice evening for a short weekend sipping on RITTIBIB, DSP-1, old label.

And the Willett rye mingle is toast - but what a way to wrap up a Monday!

Tonight some Jefferson's 10 yr rye. One of my favorite ryes!

Bought and tried Angel's Envy Rye for the first time yesterday. I just couldn't pass up the $7 off when I've been waiting 6 months for it to show up at a bar for me to try.

Worth the wait, but I'm kicking myself for not buying it sooner. As soon as I poured, the nose hit me in the face. Baking spices, heavy sweetness, and something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Was it brown sugar? Yeah, that was there, but there was something else. Something very familiar. I vowed not to take a sip until I identified what I was detecting. After about 5 minutes it hit me: Gingerbread cookies! Not just any gingerbread cookie, but the high quality stuff. With tons of dark, oozing molasses, brown sugar, and baking spices. Then I remembered others mentioning this here, but I don't think I fully appreciated it at the time. This isn't just a hint or a component of the whiskey, this could easily be mistaken for a full-on flavored liquor if not for the 100 proof and obvious level of quality. In this, I can see why this is such a polarizing pour.

The palate fully backed-up what the nose was implying (All-in-all, I probably let the pour sit for 10 minutes before sipping). Fiendishly sweet and full of Christmasy flavor. Only during the moderately long finish did I start to pick up on the bare LDI-style rye notes. Strangely, the pickle brine effect in the finish didn't clash with the sweetness of the entry, but instead added a nice level of complexity.

This is a stellar pour for me, but not something I would consider a "standard" - it's just too sweet and riddled with eccentric character for an every day sipper. And thank God for that, because the hefty price of this bottle forbids me from purchasing it on a regular basis. That is, unless it started coming in a nice display box paired with a good divorce lawyer.

I'm having some of the "current" dusty WTR 101. I have always liked drinking this one neat, pretty tasty!

Just finished off a bottle of Michter's US1 Rye and now turning my attention to Bulleit 95 in an effort to thin out the herd.

Lot 40. This is really good, on the sweet side with notes of caraway, mint, Blue Cheer detergent, and cinnamon. It reminds me of some vintage Old Overholts which valued members of the board have brought to Gazebos past. Together with Collingwood 21 year old, it is by far the best Canadian whiskey to be marketed initially in Canada. I.e., one would need to add the Masterson's/Jefferson's/Whistlepig group, marketed first in the U.S., to the very select circle which represents Canadian whisky at its finest and most distinctive.

Lot 40. This is really good, on the sweet side with notes of caraway, mint, Blue Cheer detergent, and cinnamon. It reminds me of some vintage Old Overholts which valued members of the board have brought to Gazebos past. Together with Collingwood 21 year old, it is by far the best Canadian whiskey to be marketed initially in Canada. I.e., one would need to add the Masterson's/Jefferson's/Whistlepig group, marketed first in the U.S., to the very select circle which represents Canadian whisky at its finest and most distinctive.

+1 on the vintage Old Overholt comparison - that is dead on. I have really come around from "meh" to loving this bottle.

SAOS and a couple pours of Mitcher's. It was a damn fine rye night.

Having a sip of a recent Willett 4-year gift shop bottle. Pretty tasty for an LDI 95%er. Not sure if I love how their WFE prices are skyrocketing, though.

Nice pour of some NCF Jeff 10 :yum: Wishing I would have bunkered up on this, although encouraged by the number of barrel proof rye offerings out there!

Finishing up this fine Wednesday evening with some BMH18 rye. The thread on open bottles reminded me that this one is down to only a few ounces.

Following a short break up, I've gone back to the Col Taylor tonight. This bottle has now been open for 4 or 5 months and is hitting on all cylinders. I'm going to go back and forth between this and an open bottle of Town Branch until I can figure out which one wins!

Last drink of the night was a sample of some Abe Bowman rye 136.4. This is some fantastic stuff and certainly in the top echelon as far as ryes go. Maybe not the best rye I've ever had, but certainly top 3.

Last drink of the night was a sample of some Abe Bowman rye 136.4. This is some fantastic stuff and certainly in the top echelon as far as ryes go. Maybe not the best rye I've ever had, but certainly top 3.

I had some of this tonight too. I liked it a lot, and thought it basically tasted like what I wish THH could be.

Then I had a sip of an Iron Fist sample, and the IF kind of smashed it.

Back to the BMH 18yr. One more solid pour left in the bottle, which will be empty tomorrow in celebration of the weekend!

The last of this BMH18. Glad there is one more from the same barrel in the bunker (not that I've met a bad one yet!)

Bulliet rye was on pour last night out at dinner.

While good, I would have went with a well made sour if I would have known it would have gone breed aight the food.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!