What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Potrero 18th century, spice bomb. A little different, but I like it, the mint was in check. Too minty is one of my problems with Ryes and high rye bourbons. Can't wait for another pour of this, now to select the perfect cigar to pair.....

Good morning all. Yesterday was a side by side by side by side by side and repeat again and again type of day.

I do love me some rye. :drinking:

post-10133-14489820870185_thumb.jpg

post-10133-14489820870185_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good line up.

Was their one rye you went back to more than the others.

Kind of tired tonight after a weekend of soccer, 9 games in 3 days. Watching Billboard awards with a nice pour of Rendezvous Rye.

Finished off a bottle of Jefferson's 10 yr, now turning to WFE 4 yr 110 proof.

Looks like a good line up.

Was their one rye you went back to more than the others.

1. LSB

2. SAOS

3. Baby Zaz

4. CETH

5. Mitcher's 10

1. LSB

2. SAOS

3. Baby Zaz

4. CETH

5. Mitcher's 10

Interesting. I generally like the LSB as well and still see it one the shelf with some regularity but it hasn't always gotten the best rep here. And the price tends to keep me from getting more, much like the CEHT Rye and Michter's which I also like. Haven't tried the newest bottle of the Michter's though. Still working on an older one which is quite tasty.

Agreed on the LSB pricing. I really do like but I won't be buying another bottle because of the price.

I think LSB is a good rye but it's hard to get another one when Jeff 10y rye is sitting next to it at $35 to $39

I think LSB is a good rye but it's hard to get another one when Jeff 10y rye is sitting next to it at $35 to $39

True enough if you can find a Jefferson you are comfortable is an older one, especially if it is one that still says made in Canada which is now pretty rare. I just have no idea what I am getting the Jeff Rye anymore and haven't been willing to buy one lately as a result. I am more inclined to get a slightly younger Smooth Ambler rye instead as they have more proof and are at least up front with the source. If I want something other than MGPI rye I still have a few options for the moment that I can turn to in the cabinet.

True. All the Jeff rye I have available doesn't show distilled in Canada and is $49.99, well except for the Presidential which is only $189.99.

True. All the Jeff rye I have available doesn't show distilled in Canada and is $49.99, well except for the Presidential which is only $189.99.

A little pricey up the road! Will have to check to see if local prices have gone up here too (hasn't everything lately or so it seems like!). Used to be more like $40 or even less as I recall but haven't bought one in a while. At $50 for the Jefferson the Smooth Ambler at 7 years and 99 proof looks even more atttractive!

I see Jeff 10 Rye on the shelf for $35-$40 typically, although I think most of it no longer has any mention of Canada. I'd pick up one of the newer ones just to try, but not until I finish one of the two open bottles I have.

That's a good point, I haven't tried the OS 7y rye yet. I may have to pick one up. I've been seeing them around for about 3 months.

Lat night I had my first pours of James E. Pepper. I was so impressed that I ended up with several pours and went back today to get a bottle for the bunker. This might be the best tasting Indiana rye I've had, especially at the price. Full of rich rye and my mint alarm doesn't go off.

Lat night I had my first pours of James E. Pepper. I was so impressed that I ended up with several pours and went back today to get a bottle for the bunker. This might be the best tasting Indiana rye I've had, especially at the price. Full of rich rye and my mint alarm doesn't go off.

The NAS version, or the aged version? I'm a fan of the NAS version for the money - rye at 2, 3, and 4 yrs is pretty tasty, where IMHO bourbon at those ages . . . not so much (although I did like the Yearling).

Pre-change? Wild Turkey Rye 101, after stuffing my pie hole with an outstanding dinner out, and including the baked chocolate chip cookie and ice cream dessert...oink-oink...:crazy: A fantastic choice in my bloated state...:lol:

The NAS version, or the aged version? I'm a fan of the NAS version for the money - rye at 2, 3, and 4 yrs is pretty tasty, where IMHO bourbon at those ages . . . not so much (although I did like the Yearling).

It's the NAS version. If the last bottle is still on the shelf when I visit Tuesday it's coming home with me too.

I really like that one too!

Just noticed that I hadn't opened my Midwinter Night's Dram yet (which I was fortunate to come across thanks to a few SB'ers!) Corrected that mistake this afternoon, and predict this bottle will be recycled about the time the fall release is available :yum:

Just noticed that I hadn't opened my Midwinter Night's Dram yet (which I was fortunate to come across thanks to a few SB'ers!) Corrected that mistake this afternoon, and predict this bottle will be recycled about the time the fall release is available :yum:

I really like that one too!

Having pour of that as well this evening. Cheers!

I've been enjoying Town Branch and Taylor all week. Back and forth I go liking the one in my glass a little bit better than the other. I'll probably finish off both bottles in the next 24 hours or so and have come to appreciate what each profile brings to bear.

The TB is a non-traditional balance of sweet and bitter spice. It has a nice oily, thick coating mouth feel that is definitely enhanced by the added malt influence.

The Taylor....what can you say. As traditional in profile as can be. Nothing outstanding, but a solid pour that delivers what one would expect of a traditional American rye. Too bad its not priced in line with the TB at just under $50.

Finished off a Baby Zaz and started working on Mitcher's 10 yr. I love rye but with 7 open bottles on my bar I need to make some room for Bourbon.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!