What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drinking one of my favorites tonight - Yamazaki 12. Decided to crack open the 18 so I could do a side by side tasting. So far so good!

Cracked open my CB The General and enjoyed it immensely. Monster nose.

I am so tempted by that bottle...

Drinking one of my favorites tonight - Yamazaki 12. Decided to crack open the 18 so I could do a side by side tasting. So far so good!

Nicely done. That's just delicious whisky.

Had a few pours this weekend thanks to some samples I received from a guy who really wants me to fall prey to the scotch world: Mannochmore 18, Director's Cut Mortlach 21, Benriach 12, Talisker 18, and Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 3. I made sure to try the Tun 3 with a clean palate and I am pretty sure it is the best whisk(e)y I've ever had in my whole life.

Had a few pours this weekend thanks to some samples I received from a guy who really wants me to fall prey to the scotch world: Mannochmore 18, Director's Cut Mortlach 21, Benriach 12, Talisker 18, and Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 3. I made sure to try the Tun 3 with a clean palate and I am pretty sure it is the best whisk(e)y I've ever had in my whole life.

That's some good drinking right there...

#whiskyn00bballer

Just have nice friends with deep bunkers... Having a sample of 2010 Brora 30 tonight and it might even be better than the Tun. I'm enjoying what is likely to be the last of these I ever have.

Just have nice friends with deep bunkers... Having a sample of 2010 Brora 30 tonight and it might even be better than the Tun. I'm enjoying what is likely to be the last of these I ever have.

If you like the Brora more than the Tun you are truly ready.

Seems like you like the peat more than the sherry. Nothing wrong with that. I'm the opposite. And my samples of Brora will be the only time I ever get to try it. I'm sharing it with friends so they can do the same. It's a really cracking pour. For something that I enjoyed more that smacks the palate, you should keep an eye out for the Rosebank 21. That was really solid as well.

His Brora 30 / 2010 was a head turner for me too - I blame him for pushing me over the cliff...

I had a sample of Mac 25 last night. Tasted like $800.

That's funny because I've never had one that tasted a dollar over $650 :D

Having another pour of CB Hedonism. I just noticed that the batch number on this bottle is H39MMX, so I guess it was sitting on the shelf for a few years. Still delicious stuff.

Revving up for the weekend's dark side trek with some Shieldaig Highland. For under $20, pretty pleased! Little peat going on, with a clean, sweet finish.

Must just be in the mood today - cracked open my Christmas present (which just made its way home a couple weeks ago) and enjoying a dram of some Talisker 10. I'd say 9 of 10 nights I lean towards bourbon or rye, but the stars must be aligned tonight as I'm totally digging the Scotch! I'd throw on a kilt and scare the neighbors if I had one! :toast:

Signatory Teaninich 29yr / 1983 #8071

How's it treating you? Cask strength? I have an Old Malt Cask 29 from 82 that is currently #1 on the open for birthday list.

How's it treating you? Cask strength? I have an Old Malt Cask 29 from 82 that is currently #1 on the open for birthday list.

It's a very sweet malt with an oily palate - malty, fruity, honeyed, and vanilla... This is from a sample swap & it is an unexpected delight to discover another great expression.

Edited by ChainWhip

It's a very sweet malt with an oily palate - malty, fruity, honeyed, and vanilla... This is from a sample swap & it is an unexpected delight to discovering another great expression.

That all sounds delightful. Thanks for the notes! I think this was the first 1982 bottle I ever bought, looking forward to sharing it with friends more than ever.

Opened a bottle of Springbank 10 last night, had a couple drams from it. This one tastes really rich, but the Connemara-like peat presence mixed with some sharper sherry notes tells me that I need to leave this bottle open for a few hours, or even possibly decant. The beautiful Springbank profile that I've enjoyed at whisky bars is hiding just out of site. Getting bits an pieces, just not the whole picture. Instead I'm getting some serious tongue-numbing cough syrup.

On the bright side, I came back to my bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay 2012 I opened awhile back, and it has seriously smoothed out. Instead of sharp biting lemon and peat in the arrival, I'm getting peat and soft citrus notes. The development and finish both contain a creamy note that I can only describe as "TCBY White Chocolate Mousse" flavor. I get this occasionally in peated whiskies that have younger spirit in them (I've picked it up in Ardbeg Corryvreckan, not sure how old that stuff is, but my money says it has some younger stuff blended in there), and it's a real joy for me when I do taste it. Absolutely thrilled with the young complexity of this whisky. Can't wait until they have older products ready to go.

On the back porch with the dogs, CB Delilah's and Freddie King. Life is pretty good.

I am so tempted by that bottle...

It's exceptional. Highly recommended!

On the back porch with the dogs, CB Delilah's and Freddie King. Life is pretty good.

How is that Delilah's bottling? V&T has some and I think about it from time to time.

I know Tom was very bearish on the new anniversary Peat Monster. Still blows my mind that Tom found a CB he didn't care for. :eek:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!